Studying Plumbing in Melbourne

KarinC

Hi

My husband and I and our 2 children are keen to get into Australia but neither of us have any skills or qualifications needed. We are both approaching 42 too so we pretty much stand no chance. We know there is the option to study in Australia in order to re-train, was thinking of a 2 year plumbing course in Melbourne that gets my husband fully qualified, after the 2 year course apply for a graduate visa to hopefully get a minimum of 1 years experience and then after that hopefully get a job through sponsorship. Yes this is a costly and very risky route that we are fully aware of but what I'd like to know is does anyone know the likelihood of finding work after he qualifies? The college uses work placement during the course so could this help and does anyone know if they ever offer jobs after? Also what would the realistic starting salary be for a newly qualified plumber? Would it be a minimum of $55,000 in order for the minimum requirement for a sponsored 457 visa?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The practical side of things for plumbing us undertaken as an apprenticeship...that is what makes you qualified. However as apprenticeships are funded by the government you have to be an Australian citizen to do them. a 2 year course sounds a bit off...the courses are usually one day a week whilst you work four days a week which is more than an international student is permitted to. Have you checked with the college that they accept international students for this course?

Hi

thanks for your response. Here's a link to the course

http://aisi.edu.au/courses-2/cpc32413-certificate-iii-in-plumbing/

. It's 2 days a week plus work placement. After the first year you qualify with a certificate III and the 2nd year certificate IV. Apparently it's the only pkace in Australia that offers it to international students. Yes I have checked it with the college.

Hello.

Not sure where your getting the information from about study. To move to australia as a plumber you need a minimum level 2 nvq with 5 years post study experience.

Your husbamd would need these to obtain a 457 sponsorship. Which i have to inform you wouldnt happen for plumbing. I work as a plumber in australia and i can assure you there is most definitely an oversupply and companies hire and fire people all the time when job open and close.

If your husband was to go on a study visa the costs would be astronomical. You wouldnt be able to join in and the chances of sponsorship on a 457 arter thr study would be close to nil which keans he would need to leave the country.

Your best option is to retrain in the uk. Check skills shortage list and forums. Then after the relevant experience and time served look for a 457.

Sorry this is not what you want to hear but its the truth

As someone who came out here on a student visa back when PR was much easier to get afterwards, I'd advise against it.

I know many people even back then who had to leave at the end of their course. Sponsorship in trades is not easy as many are employed as casuals, but employers are required to show they need a certain number of full time employees.

You also need to consider more than just the course costs. Both of you can only work 20 hours a week. For the partner that is 20 hours through holidays too, although the student can work full time then. Part time work is surprisingly hard to find. Also, Melbourne isn't a cheap place to live. We lived in Adelaide, which no children, and our combined 40 hours were enough to pay rent and bills for two adults with one car. It didn't cover any visa, health insurance (which you have to have on a student visa) or course fees. Bills have got higher since then but wages haven't improved much.

Have you also looked into if plumbing is eligible for a graduate visa?

If you want to consider it as a very expensive change for a couple of years, great, but I can tell you the stress of trying to get PR is huge.

Hi Blossom

we have worked out all the costs involved which we know will be huge but we can rent our pkace out here which gives us £1k a month to pay for rent out there plus we have the capital to fund is for a good few years out there even without working. Yes you can get a graduate visa after it would be for 18 months as the qualification is at trade level, the higher the qualification then the more time you get but that's the minimum. Basically I've researched and researched everything involved but it's hard to find answers to work supply after and if it's do-able. Well from what everyone says it looks like no but I still can't shake this feeling off of give it a go as you never know?!?!

dont wish to be pessimistic but without skills they need you have no chance. At your age I would forget it and enjoy your life in the UK

Short and sweet but I can thinks of no better advice.

OP this just isn't going to happen, the ship has sailed. You are almost certainly never going to be able to secure a permanent skilled migration visa due to age by time of qualification, so that would mean relying upon an employer willing to sponsor for a permanent visa and in the trades, they just do not tend to do that.

No disrespect but it sounds as if you are not going to take sound advice from anyone and have your mind made up already. Its a bad decision and like i said i work as a plumber in australia and i can tell you now you will not secure a placement as a plumber here through a 457. And no permanent visa upon completion of the course.

Forget plumbing and if you really have your heart set do something that is easier to get a visa for. Also if you haven't visied australia before i would suggest you do this before you up and move as the culture is very different in many aspects. Not just bbqs and sunny days.

I'm absolutely taking this advice on board and really appreciate it! Yes looks like we may have to give this one a miss perhaps which is gutting to say the least! I just wanted to exhaust every option possible, so when something comes up that could be viable I had to look fully into it!! Yes we have been there, spent 4 months travelling around a few years back. It's not till we've had kids that we want to give them a life out in Australia.

I'm absolutely taking this advice on board and really appreciate it! Yes looks like we may have to give this one a miss perhaps which is gutting to say the least! I just wanted to exhaust every option possible, so when something comes up that could be viable I had to look fully into it!! Yes we have been there, spent 4 months travelling around a few years back. It's not till we've had kids that we want to give them a life out in Australia.

It's not until I've had kids that I've considered moving back to the UK to give them a better life. I suppose the grass is always greener, especially once you have kids.

Ahh really? Thanks. I was trying to find this information but couldn't find it anywhere. I think we will re-think our plan. Our plan B is for my husband to re-train here in something he wants to do and should it lead to an opportunity at a later date in Australia then great. He's thinking of becoming an arborist. Not pinning hopes that it will lead to anything given age but he needs to re-train as something else as the job he's doing now is bringing us down!

No not at all! We have equity in our house but that's all. From what I see we'd need $1.5 million AUD to qualify for an investor visa? Are there other options then? If there was a smaller investor one that guarantees entry then we'd happily sell our house!

I actually studied horticulture. I'm afraid I don't think you'd have much luck as an arborist either. All the trades are that bit harder for sponsorship and horticulture jobs pay terrible. The only reason I managed to be sponsored on my wage was because I'm in regional Australia and they don't have the same wage requirements.

Well our plan B we know isn't a guarantee. By the way we're not restricted to Melbourne. It was only as that was the only city offering an international plumbing course that we considered it. We'd consider regional definitely. My husband had an uncle who lives in regional Queensland. He'd be happy to sponsor us if it came to it but I think the occupation has to be on the SOL and arborist is on the CSOL.