School fees and which school on a 457 visa?

Kirstygreen

Hi I am new to this site and I am looking for a little help. We are hoping to be out in Australia under a 457 visa at the start of the year and I am trying to get everything organised so I'm clued up on it all! We have 3 children ages 7 who is born June 2009, a 5 year old born Feb 2011 and a 2 year old born November 2013. We are going to be at northern beaches and I am looking for some advice as to what schools are best and what type of fees I would be looking at? Would I also get any help with these fees in the first instance with only my husband working and also I have heard that Catholic schools can sometimes be cheaper? If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Northern beaches of which state? I'm guessing NSW in which case it'll be $5k per child pa. Generally you get a place in your local school but they are not obliged to give you a place if the class is full but they offer you something. Good place to start for NSW http://www.decinternational.nsw.edu.au/study/schools/temporary-residents

No you won't get help unless you can prove financial hardship which would beg the question of why you would bother doing that and make the move in the first place - can your DH negotiate school fees into his contact as his employer would know this will be an extra expense. Catholic schools can be a bit cheaper - bring along a reference from your local parish, evidence of baptism and all that. You won't get any help with childcare if you decide to work and ball park that will be around $100 per day.

If it's not NSW then obviously we start again.

Yes sorry it's NSW. I have already been looking at fees and was aware that they are $5100 each with a 10% discount for each child. We can afford the school fees but I was just wondering if there was any additional helps as I have been reading in a family of 3 or more that they can take this into consideration when at a fee paying school? Also am I right in thinking if I get there before Jan I will miss these fees and I will be affected in 2018?

I would never go of I thought that was the case but I would not turn down any help either! ☺️

Have you ever had experience of any of the schools or could you give me any recommendations?

Ww will maybe see if we can negotiate this in but I was just making sure I knew exactly what the best way was.

Private schools can apply whatever discounts they feel inclined, so talking to them about discounts would be the way to go but if they discount on 3 kids then they won't give you a discount on two so you would have to wait until your third was at school which would be 2019. You will definitely get no help with child care /pre school fees as a temporary resident. For information about schools in the area https://www.myschool.edu.au is a good place to start.