You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Darko77

Moving to Melbourne in October

Posted this thread earlier in a different section of the forums page so though I'd re-post to a more social environment.

Hi everyone, I am hoping to relocate to Melbourne in October. I have spent the past two years in Perth but unfortunately things haven't gone according to plan. I am originally from Dublin, Ireland and I love life here in Australia hence my post.

I have been to Melbourne before and fell in love with the place and it's a city I'd love to get to know better.

So, I'm just seeking any kind of advice at all no matter how small or trivial it may be. Any kind of input about any aspect of life there would be greatly appreciated. I'd consider myself very outgoing and would be keen to get to know new people and get involved within the community.

Thanks for reading and I'll look forward to hopefully hearing back from some of you.

Cheers :smile:

My advice: Bring lots of jumpers - it's fricken freezin'! And frequently windy at the moment.

As you know, Melbourne is huge and the best areas for you personally will be according to your age, interests and financial situation ( plus where you work of course!). Any thoughts?

Bring a coat, thermals, shorts, tshirts, umbrella, wellies, sandals and a hat. That should get you through your first day.

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me. 

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated and lots to think about. Ideally I'd love to live near the CBD and be within earshot of whats happening, bars and cafes etc. I think the biggest problem will just be meeting and getting to know people initially. All part of the experience.

You might actually enjoy the cooler weather here- nothing nicer than curling up in front of an open fire in Winter, knowing that it will be superhot in summer!

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated and lots to think about. Ideally I'd love to live near the CBD and be within earshot of whats happening, bars and cafes etc. I think the biggest problem will just be meeting and getting to know people initially. All part of the experience.

I arrived in Melbourne alone in March, knowing nobody at all. I joined a lot of meetup (http://www.meetup.com) groups, joined a local community group, took on a volunteer role in a museum, and generally found ways to network and meet new people. My flatmate introduced me to her circle of friends too.

As long as you put in the effort, you'll make friends quickly.

Thanks for the insight Cappuccion99, always good to get another perspective of things and to get some direction as well. I appreciate it and will take it on board. Looking forward to the move across.

Thanks for the insight Cappuccion99, always good to get another perspective of things and to get some direction as well. I appreciate it and will take it on board. Looking forward to the move across.

Having just arrived back from a recci trip to Melbourne - you are in for a treat!

B

190 State Nomination (65 + 5 = 70 pts) | Primary Teacher | AITSL Skills Assessment submitted 10 04 '16 | Successful AITSL Skills Assessment 10 06 '16 | Recce to Mellie August 2016 | IELTS result 27 08 '16 (Av. 8.5) | State Nomination Application lodged 31 08 '16 | State Teaching Registration approved 23 12 '16 | State Nomination approved 23 01 '16 | EOI lodged 13 05 '17 | Invitation to apply received 15 05 '17 | Visa application lodged 03 07 '17 | CO allocated, medicals requested 24 07 '17 | Medicals completed 31 08 '17 | OMG! Visa Grant 28 09 '17 - we're Aussie Residents!!! Wahoo!