Sheldon and Ormiston Colleges

NorthernLights

Bit of a long one asking about Sheldon and Ormiston colleges if you can bear with me...

I'm just back from my 3 day (!) visit to Oz from the UK. I posted a while ago about choosing between Cairns, Toowoomba and South Brisbane, and we've opted for South Brisbane after very difficult deliberation. I only had a few days off work and had to spend a day in Melbourne for professional accreditation interview so only had a 2 day stop in Brisbane, which was manic to say the least.

I had a good look around the bayside area, and the daisy hill area, both of which suit our separate work places, one of us has to commute. So to schools - because of the commute, the only realistic options (other than Redlands college which I ruled out as they are very religious) are Ormiston and Sheldon for the Cleveland area, or John Paul College for Daisy Hill. Now, JPC I really liked, but Daisy Hill doesn't really fulfil the lifestyle we want (café/restaurants/shops in walking distance). Before we went I was sold on Sheldon, so only visited JPC and Sheldon, not Ormiston. I did like the Cleveland area and surrounds very much.

Sheldon, I didn't like. And here's the question - was it the person showing me round who has given me the wrong impression? Does anyone have kids there (especially juniors) who could comment? The kids did seem happy, but the whole place seems very sterile and there was a very strong focus on discipline for minor stuff and results. There was little on direct questioning to support the pastoral needs of the child. The woman who showed me round was so cold (and 30 mins late) and lacked any ability to convey that they actually care. Plus, no languages til year 4 and only Mandarin then, no school nurse for first aid and they insist on kids in Kindy attending 5 days a week. The teacher turnover is high and she told me they performance review and ask teachers to leave if they aren't getting results. I came away feeling very upset by the whole atmosphere. I really am not bothered that discipline is strong - but the way it's done for even little children seems very scary. I can't imagine the need to send a 6 year old home for having the wrong length hair/wrong style of scrunchie

In desperation, I phoned Ormiston and spoke to a lovely lady in Kindy, who was so kind and said all the right things. The registrar for the college also spoke to me and was extremely reassuring and said all the things I was looking for. BUT, I didn't get to see the school. So now we have to decide, which is right for us, from several thousand miles away.

Can anyone with direct experience of these schools help at all? I remember a couple of people on my previous threads commenting about the schools, so a bit more information would be much appreciated. What I'm looking for is a school that will nurture and be kind to my children, above the need for results. Both of mine are bright, hard workers who behave well at school (less so at home!) and don't need nor would respond well to harsh disciplinary techniques.

Thank you! Sorry for the essay.

I'll ask my hubby if he knows anyone local and reputations (he went to Cleveland state school and his brother went.... Another school) still have family n friends there. We had same situation as you.. Visited schools, loved a couple North Gold Coast but decided to live South Gold Coast.. One school couldn't promise a space for all our kids and the other school yep same as u could have been the lady doing the tour... Got home foned a school we had wanted to visit.... Really good vibe on the phone, had phone interview enrolled and accepted... Kids started in January. Everyone tells us it's a fab school thankfully.. But it is big n busy.. Took my middle one a while to settle but they are all happy. High school on site too, staff all lovely... Listen to your gut..

When do u leave? Could u wait till you are over? Did u look at Lutheran schools? I always thought I'd send my kids to Carmel college... It's funny how you flip decisions...

Thanks Ip77. We're hoping to get out in January, in time for the new school year. We'll have paid for both applications so will keep both running until we arrive but it would take an awful lot to convince me that Sheldon is a caring school. We can wait a while but likely to have to make a decision before we go. Gut feeling was to walk away from the school as quickly as possible, but it may have just been that one staff member coming across very badly.

Thanks for sharing your experience, glad things worked out well for your kids. Any info your hubby can provide would be much appreciated.

From a personal point of view, I wouldn't touch Sheldon. They are way too strict and I know some really good kids who are being told off for having the wrong coat, being sent home for not having one of the correct haircuts (local hairdressers are aware what is required if a kid is at Sheldon). I find it very sterile and lacking warmth. I know a few people with kids there and it works for them. I also know a number of people whose kids have hated it - it takes conformity to a whole new level.

I have heard very good things about Ormiston for the Juniors. Still fairly strict but more about the individual, rather than the image it needs to portray. They do put the pressure on when they get to Senior though, which is what put us off sending our son there (he would've been in the top years).

There are many great state and religious schools (Lutheran, Catholic) in the area too. If you have a kid that is going to work hard, dome of these really look at the whole person, not just grades. Ormiston State is great, along with Bayview. Kimberley College has a more holistic approach too.

JPC is also a good school, but is a fair way from the other two, which are in the area I live.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure I can help much. Our daughter chose Sheldon herself when on our 2014 recce. She has been there a year now and is in year 7 and thriving but if you didn't like the set up then it may not be for you or your children.

We only looked at Ormiston College from the point of view of year 7 onwards really. It is undoubtedly a good school but they are unashamedly academic there and our daughter, though bright, is not a high flyer so they appeared disinterested in her frankly. Can't speak for the junior years in either College as no direct experience.

If you are going to live in Ormiston then Ormiston College will be more convenient too.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I came across this post as I’m looking into Ormiston College for my children. They are currently at Sheldon and have been there a few years. I’m not entirely happy with the school and haven’t been since last year but been giving them the benefit of the doubt. My other option is Ormiston College. Just wanted an update if possible please from the previous poster on this post...are you still at Ormiston, etc?

thanks

jas