How important is heating?

BadgerLady

Thanks all!

I've just been to see the place. It's even cuter in real life than I'd expected. Very exciting gardens! :jiggy:

The rooms are pretty small and cosy, and they've left a smart-looking electric fireplace that you could put into a bedroom or even the kitchen as a supplement. It's pretty miserable in Canberra today (6 degrees and raining) and I actually felt OK in there, with it empty and unheated... by the time I add my rugs etc I'm pretty confident it'll be OK.

Kick to the guts was when the letting agent said "By the way we've actually got an application pending with the owner at the moment, and we don't submit new ones unless that gets rejected".

I flew in from Melbourne for this, yer git!

Welcome to Canberra! Competition for nice places can be fierce! Fingers crossed for you though if you liked it - Barton perchance?

Welcome to Canberra! Competition for nice places can be fierce! Fingers crossed for you though if you liked it - Barton perchance?

Braddon. I got chatting to the other house hunters and they weren't interested... one group were sharers and said the bedrooms were too small, another single guy said he prefers modern, central heated places and already had an application in elsewhere.

Braddon. I got chatting to the other house hunters and they weren't interested... one group were sharers and said the bedrooms were too small, another single guy said he prefers modern, central heated places and already had an application in elsewhere.

Good choice! Good luck!

What's the woodburner like? If it's a modern one like a Coonara, then it may well heat the whole house. We had one when we first arrived in country Victoria - it got absolutely freezing in winter but the stove kept the entire house toasty (it was also an old house). It also wasn't hard to keep supplied - we just got a delivery when we needed it, and the logs lasted a long time because the woodburner was so efficient. Just make sure you control the air vents. We just closed it down at night and the fire would sink to embers, then when we opened the vent in the morning it would spring back into life.

Fingers crossed for you!

Edited by Marisawright

GAH!

They accepted an application 5 minutes after I left the viewing. In the meantime I sat there preparing my application, sending personal messages to the letting agent and planning how to furnish it on my coach trip to Sydney (I'd flown in from Melbourne that morning).

Poo.

GAH!

They accepted an application 5 minutes after I left the viewing. In the meantime I sat there preparing my application, sending personal messages to the letting agent and planning how to furnish it on my coach trip to Sydney (I'd flown in from Melbourne that morning).

Poo.

Oh what a shame and annoying you weren't advised before you traveled - we found it best to attend the home open with documentation in hand all ready to submit if we liked the place. That's hard if you are not local though, is it worth getting an Airbnb or similar for a month to take the pressure off you to find somewhere?

Oh what a shame and annoying you weren't advised before you traveled - we found it best to attend the home open with documentation in hand all ready to submit if we liked the place. That's hard if you are not local though, is it worth getting an Airbnb or similar for a month to take the pressure off you to find somewhere?

Yeah, planned the same - actually this letting agent only took online applications. I had everything available electronically and submitted it 1 hour after the viewing. They'd actually taken an application before the viewing and the landlord officially accepted it while I was there. Nothing to be done!

I've still got 6 weeks until I plan to move... and my employer will help me out with a hotel for 30 days after that. I'm not worried ;-)

We have3 A wood Burner. And It's fantastic,i wouldn't be without one,It warms the whole house up.And we live in A big Queenslander. The Living flame is great,The only Draw back Wood is getting Very Expensive,Like Everything in Australia,and getting worse.

We have3 A wood Burner. And It's fantastic,i wouldn't be without one,It warms the whole house up.And we live in A big Queenslander. The Living flame is great,The only Draw back Wood is getting Very Expensive,Like Everything in Australia,and getting worse.

LOL, Not Australia Zack, just the little bit you live in... I pay $60 for a ute load if i go myself and load, $100 if its delivered and unloaded for me. This winter we will use 2 ute loads plus sticks i collect from the garden, that is a hell of a lot cheaper than any electric or gas appliance would cost and certainly not expensive for a winter season..

Cal x

We currently live in Canberra and some nights the temperature gets down to -3. In my opinion heating is really important as a lot of the houses here in oz are not very well insulated ( no double glazing etc). We really noticed the difference moving from Brissie to Canberra. I think your going to need a warmer quilt.

• Like 1