3 years old - any extra jabs before we leave UK ???

huske

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if I need to book my 3 years old son for any jabs before we leave the NHS?

We are coming on a temporary visa, therefore I am assuming that all medical has to be paid for even for a 3 years old? I dont want to end up with a huge bill on the other side for vaccinations...

I was trying to compare the vaccination schedules for UK and Australia online to figure out any differences, but it is a bit confusing to me... The only obvious one was Hep B? He hasn't had chicken pox yet either, is that one a must in Australia?

I am waiting for our nurse to get back to me on that, but maybe some of you will have an advice.

Many thanks!!!

Its only Hep B and chicken pox that are extra here.

TBH I'd wait till you are here and get them. You have to pay for them in the UK as they are not standard. And here its a minimal fee if you did have to pay and its straightforward to get them done. Just bring the red book with you so the medical staff can see what your little one has had and what they will need and update their system.

We came on a temporary visa when youngest was 12 months and eldest was 2.5 years, and we just took them to the doctor and they did the jabs. The doctors we used bulk billed for kids appointments, and it was all covered by Medicare. I'd just get them done here. Make sure you bring a record of which immunisations your son has had so that they can put the info into the Immunisation Register. We let our girls have the chicken pox jab, so they are covered for that. We took the view that it also gives them a far lower chance of getting shingles as an adult, and so for that reason it is worth it.

Thank you Snifter and LKC! Spoke to our nurse today, she said they do not offer the chicken pox jab,but we could have it done privately. Also they only do hep B for children at high risk after referral. So I guess that we will wait till we arrive! One less things to worry about UK side...