PLC versus MLC, Perth

Muppet2016

Hi,

We're moving over to Perth in December and looking at schools for the kids. Finding it really difficult to choose when we don't really know the system. PLC and MLC both look good for our daughter, does anyone in Perth know much about them?

Thanks everyone.

Both very good schools with very long waiting lists.

Thanks for the replies. We're on the waiting list for MLC for year 4, they say there are a handful of girls waiting so encouraged us to apply for Feb. PLC say they can offer us a place now, but can't guarantee a place later if we don't accept now. Sounds like we might be best going for PLC now if they are usually tricky to get into? Agree about the fees, ouch!

Thanks for the replies. We're on the waiting list for MLC for year 4, they say there are a handful of girls waiting so encouraged us to apply for Feb. PLC say they can offer us a place now, but can't guarantee a place later if we don't accept now. Sounds like we might be best going for PLC now if they are usually tricky to get into? Agree about the fees, ouch!

Also regarding the fees you can add another couple of thousand over the year for incidentals, particularly once they get to high school age. Subject fees, book hire, school camps etc etc.

Yes, if there is a place available at either grab it as waiting lists and selection policy means you can't really afford to be too choosy with schools of that ilk. I have a son so no personal experience of those schools directly but I do not think there is a huge difference between them.

Both impressed me with their stance on homework this stroy was in the news when we lived in Perth.

http://www.news.com.au/national/top-schools-ban-homework-on-weekends-and-holidays/story-e6frfkp9-1226448335419

But yes there are quite a lot of costs on top of the fees although that's no different to an independent school in the UK - money for uniform, books, stationery and £300 for summer camp all coming out of my account since my son broke up in June!

Yes, if there is a place available at either grab it as waiting lists and selection policy means you can't really afford to be too choosy with schools of that ilk. I have a son so no personal experience of those schools directly but I do not think there is a huge difference between them.

Both impressed me with their stance on homework this stroy was in the news when we lived in Perth.

http://www.news.com.au/national/top-schools-ban-homework-on-weekends-and-holidays/story-e6frfkp9-1226448335419

But yes there are quite a lot of costs on top of the fees although that's no different to an independent school in the UK - money for uniform, books, stationery and £300 for summer camp all coming out of my account since my son broke up in June!

Thank you for the advice. Think we'll take PLC offer probably. Do you know much about the boys schools? Heard Christ Church grammar is good and registrar was very friendly and amenable.

Thanks for all this, really useful. We have a son who should be going to Christchurch Grammar. MLC looks nice and close, but think we'll take PLC offer now. They do seem to add on a lot more fees than in the UK, with all the acceptance fees and IT fees etc etc, but facilities look

great.

Our daughters attended MLC and we all loved it, but it's a while ago now. We have friends whose daughters went/go to PLC and are very happy with it. Both pretty much of a muchness (I wouldn't really have minded which one our girls went to to be honest). All the girls have gone onto similar uni courses and careers.

Have you visited either? The head of the junior school at MLC swung it for us - she was wonderful (she's since left), but it was really just a gut feeling when we visited.

Be prepared for high fee hikes over the years - I can't believe how much they've gone up. At one time we could have sent all three of ours to MLC for what it cost to send two to our UK school, now it'd be way more than our fees for all three in the UK. As others have mentioned, there'll be building levies, 'voluntary' contributions, stationery, camp/incursion/excursion fees etc which I would say add another third to the cost. Not a problem if your fees are being paid by Shell or the like, not so great if you're paying yourself and your salary isn't keeping up!

With regard to waiting lists, there is a lot of movement in the private schools (especially in the western suburbs) at the end of the year as the oil companies move their employees around, so if you felt particularly strongly about a school and you're high enough up the waiting list, it may be worth risking waiting, but if you're not too bothered, I'd probably take the PLC place because there really isn't much of a difference between them.

Im biased but have 3 daughters at PLC. I wouldn't worry about not getting a place - lots of expats are on the move! Harder to get spots in high school I suppose - my kids are in junior school.

I'm really happy with the school - it has a great all-round education with languages and music every day from Kindy, a great Arts program, sport/music/academic. I found it less snooty than other schools. It teaches the IB with a strong IT focus which I think is great for kids that might have to live in different areas of the world. Lots of expats there as well as locals.

I'm sure MLC is great too - I don't think you can go wrong really. It might come down to where you are living as to which school is closer! Iona is good but Catholic so it depends if that's what you're after.

happy to answer any specific questions about PLC!