Psychologists nec - Skills assessment? (plus other questions!)

thourb

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. My partner (unmarried but cohabiting for 4 years) and I are looking to emmigrate to Australia in the future and I've got some questions which I'm hoping that someone on here can answer. We'd most likely be looking to move over together on a 190 visa with my partner as the primary visa applicant. He has completed a 3 year BSc in psychology and has just come to the end of his 3 year psychology PhD. Assuming his viva goes according to plan, from what we've been able to gather, he'd be eligible to upgrade his current BPS membership in the UK to CPsychol as he has completed a 3 year BSc (1st class hons) and completed a 3yr Masters/PhD program. These were both done at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge.

We've seen that Psychologists nec is currently on the SOL, we would easily meet the 60 point general requirement and the APS say that a positive skills assessment require the applicant to have "completed qualifications comparable to six years of study in psychology in Australia; and meet the English language proficiency requirements". As far as I can see, he ought to receive a positive skills assessment, but the fee is over $1000 to apply which is a reasonable sum of cash to lose in case we've misread something. Can someone confirm whether or not the 6 years study (3yr BSc plus 3yr Masters with PhD progression) would be sufficient to obtain a positive skills assessment to pass under the category of a Psychologist nec?

If that's the case, how long would this skills assessment last? If I've understood the application process correctly, I believe that you need a positive skills assessment and 60 points before you can apply for the visa and then at that point you can lodge an EOI through SkillSelect. When that is complete you must wait until you are invited to apply for a visa (my partner would score 75 points, is that good enough to be invited?). Only then do they ask for police certificates/medicals etc.

Sorry for the lengthy blurb, TLDR, main 3 questions I'd like to clarify;

- Is a 3yr psychology BSc plus a 3yr PhD programme going to be sufficient for a positive skills assessment?

- Do I understand the visa application process correctly? (i.e. skills assessment, EOI, apply, certificates/medicals if successful)

- Is 75 points a good enough score on SkillSelect to be invited to apply?

Many thanks to anyone for their advice and thanks to the mods/admins/members for putting together such a useful forum, it's been great to read stuff on here as we begin our migration journey!

- Is a 3yr psychology BSc plus a 3yr PhD programme going to be sufficient for a positive skills assessment? -

Probably, yes

skills assessment, if successful EOI, invitation to apply for a visa, apply, certificates/medicals )

- Is 75 points a good enough score on SkillSelect to be invited to apply

Currently, yes.

Note - this skilled occupation is flagged for removal from the skilled occupation lists.

Many thanks for your helpful reply! :) I'm glad to hear that I've pretty much understood the process. Noting that this occupation is flagged for removal from the SOL, what would happen if the occupation were to be removed from the SOL if we were halfway through the process? For example if we submitted the EOI and got invited to apply for the visa, would our application be rejected if it were removed from the SOL whilst our application was being processed? That would be somewhat of a nightmare scenario!

I am really keen on finding the answer to this question as well :)

I emailed APS to find out as I didn't get a reply on here and, at least in relation to the PhD, their reply was that it would "depend on the psychological content of the PhD". Basically their answer wasn't entirely helpful but it's given me some hope that a 3 year BSc and a 3 year PhD can be sufficient at least if it has sufficient psychology content in it. They said that if it did qualify then it would defintely fall under the occupation Psychologists (nec)

If anyone else has any experience with similar I'd really like to know what their experience was!

Many thanks for your helpful reply! :) Noting that this occupation is flagged for removal from the SOL, what would happen if the occupation were to be removed from the SOL if we were halfway through the process? For example if we submitted the EOI and got invited to apply for the visa, would our application be rejected if it were removed from the SOL whilst our application was being processed? That would be somewhat of a nightmare scenario!

Existing invitations/applications would be honoured but no new invitations are issued for an occupation that has been removed from the SOL/CSOL.

Existing invitations/applications would be honored but no new invitations are issued for an occupation that has been removed from the SOL/CSOL.

Thank you for replying! That sounds pretty rational. But it doesn't necessarly have to be removed next year, does it?

Also - how long aprox. one has to wait for APS + INVITE?

Thank you so much!

Thank you for replying! That sounds pretty rational. But it doesn't necessarly have to be removed next year, does it?

Also - how long aprox. one has to wait for APS + INVITE?

Thank you so much!

It's impossible to predict if and when an occupation is to be removed from the SOL/CSOL until the decision is made and the results published.

For APS assessment times see their website.

Waiting times for INVITE depend on too many factors to predict. All you can do is get your EOI in as early as possible and ensure you are competititive.

• 11 months later...