Addisons disease (will it cause immigration issues?)

Guest JulesNAndy

Guest JulesNAndy

Hi all

I have Addison's disease which is an adrenal deficiency. I take a daily dose of steriod (hydrocortisone) and my illness has been under control since diagnosis in 2007.

Does anyone know if this will cause us any issues with the immigration process?

Any advice greatly received x

Guest littlesarah

Hello

Medical conditions are always tough! You may be wise to speak to a migration agent, because they will have come across this kind of thing before.

The main concern of the Aus government is not to let in a bunch of ill people who take up lots of time, effort & (the biggie) money! They can make rules about eligibility for the dole, but not so easily for healthcare. Hence the issues for people like yourself.

As I see it, hydrocortisone is pretty cheap! And people with Addison's aren't normally (from memeory, correct me if I'm wrong) on a massive dose. As long as it's well-controlled the chances of you needing significant long-term medical intervention are pretty low. Of course, there is the risk of an 'Addisonian crisis', & if you were to become ill from some other cause (or undergo surgery), you would need additional medical input; but it's all about them assessing the risk (& potential cost) versus benefit (how much tax you'd be paying, & whether you'd be filling a skills shortage).

As far as I'm aware, each case is assessed individually, by the medical officer.

Hope this helps - sorry can't be more definitive, as I'm a lowly health worker & not a migration agent I can only comment in general terms.

Good luck

Guest JulesNAndy

Thanks for your reply Sarah, I was worried as to whether anyone would have heard of Addisons as I normally get greeted with confused looks when I mention it :huh:

I'm currently on 20mg a day, split into 3 doses and have been managing on this really well. As you say there is a risk of a crisis but I think as long as I take care of myself I'm doing everything to reduce thsi risk.

Thanks again x

• 4 years later...
Guest Maddason1

Hi, I have addisons disease and am emigrating to Perth WA end of march/April 2013

Just wandered how your getting on living with addisons in another country ?

Thanks

Jody green

Archived