Urgent advice please! Moving to the UK with Australian children - entry into UK

Charlie77

Hi,

My husband and I are both UK citizens by birth. We have 3 children (1 of which was born in the UK, the other 2 born in Australia). We are all also Australian citizens and have Australian Passports. Husband and I have valid UK passports too, but the children do not.

We are moving to the UK. Our travel agent has advised we may have difficulty entering the UK with the children because the tickets are one way but the children don't have UK passports. With only 3 weeks to go, there is not enough time to get UK passports for the children.

I have done some reading and spoken to the consulate.

I understand because we, the parents, were born in the UK, our children are automatically British Citizens and do not need to apply for it. The consulate said that it 'may' be enough for us to produce our birth certificates and the children's birth certificates to prove they are British Citizens and gain entry to the UK on their Australian passports. However, apparently Border Control could ask for us to prove 'onward travel' out of the UK. The suggestion of the consulate being to buy onward tickets to say France for all of us within 6 months of arrival.

This all seems a bit odd, when all my children are British Citizens and travelling on valid Australian passports.

Anyone been through this?

Thanks in Advance! :)

Your kids will have a 6 month visa stamped on their Australian passports but if you take all your documents you might get a bit of a grilling but they can't refuse. Get them passports asap - I think there may be a question asking which pp they entered on and that will sort out the 6 month visa overstay. You might have to jump through more hoops for them for health care and education but once they have their passports that will be easier to evidence.

• 3 years later...

Charlie77 how did you go with the move? Did you have trouble entering UK with childrens Australian passports.

I am in the same dilema, my son did have British passport never used but i cannot find it anywhere and we are moving in 5 weeks, i only have his Australian passport to move there with.

Hi LouiseM,

It was fine :) I took my children's passports (Australian) and their birth certificate along with my English passport and my husband's passport, just to make sure I had everything I needed to show they had British parents and would therefore enter the country. There was not enough time to get them a UK passport and they could not get a visa because they already were British. You should be fine :)