Sydney suburbs near beach & decent commute times - your advice please

CelinaOz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with all the road works around the new hospital at French forest more traffic will use mona vale road

The hospital build started some months ago. I have been avoiding Wakehurst Parkway since that time. But I have not noticed any traffic increase on Mona Vale Road at the time we go through.

you ever been stuck behind a truck going up Mona vale road ? .

No

All good tips here. We are moving from Killara (convenient, great train service, great schools, expensive and deathly dull) to Newport next week as it happens.

My wife has a job based on mona vale hospital so it makes a lot of sense.

The kids are all staying at their schools in Killara until the end of the year though, just so they can complete their projects and school trips/camp.

So I'll drive out on the a3 / Mona Vale road. I heard if we leave before 7:15am we'll beat the worst of the traffic. Then the kids will get to school and I'll carry on getting the train in.

I'll probably get the bus in the new year, but as I generally work nearer central/Redfern it means then getting a bus. (Whereas the train is handy because it goes straight into central and Redfern)

I came to the conclusion that there is more to life than a convenient commute. But in the other hand I don't really want to be sat in a traffic jam every day (life is too short).

L90 bus seems like a winner. Can listen to music instead of being sat behind the wheel.

We're all looking forward to living up there. It feels like we moved all the way from Wrexham, only to bottle it and live 20k inland in a neighbourhood full of SUVs and trees. Now we get to where we hoped to be all along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with your move to Newport! Know what you mean about more to life than a short commute but at the moment, with two young children, my husband doesn't get to see them when he gets home from work as it's past their bed time. So we were hoping to get a shorter commute for him so he could actually see them and for us to get more family time. (And for me to get a bit of support at their bedtime too!)

What's the latest someone can leave to avoid getting stuck in traffic in your opinion?

Difficult for me to say Matt, not knowing your location

Can you PM it to me?

Don't need to know the house number obviously. Just a rough guide of where you will be. I may be able to give you some short cuts depending on where you are.

Obviously being the Mona Vale end of the suburb, it will be quicker for you than being at the Bilgola Plateau end.

There are several short cuts you can take to minimize travelling time.

People can get stuck behind a slow moving bus or truck going up the first section of Mona Vale Road. I have never got stuck because I miss that section entirely.

We turn off at the Link Road too. Saves heaps of time. But there is also a back route onto Link Road.

Do you have a GPS or Sydways book in your car? Highly recommended.

with two young children, my husband doesn't get to see them when he gets home from work as it's past their bed time. So we were hoping to get a shorter commute for him so he could actually see them and for us to get more family time. (And for me to get a bit of support at their bedtime too!)

Manly is probably your best bet then.

It has the beach lifestyle you wanted. But relatively close to the city.

And fast ferries of 18 minutes direct to Circular Quay. So your husband will be back home super fast in the evenings to spend time with the children.

The Manly Ferry SmartCard gives you discounts on ferry fares.

Manly also has some good mothers groups for you. Good support and make friends:

https://www.facebook.com/manlymums/

http://www.buggybootcamp.com.au/

http://surfingmums.com

Manly does get busy because it is a very popular holiday and day trip destination. It is fine during the week. But can get crowded at weekends.

It also has rental properties within your price range.

The best thing you can do, is book into temporary accommodation for say six weeks upon your arrival. That will then give you the opportunity to explore different suburbs and find one you really like.

What do people think of the south side suburbs - Coogee, Maroubra & Little Bay? Are they nice areas & good beaches?

Yes nice areas. Not as nice as Northern Beaches though.

Getting into the city and home again would be an absolute nightmare during rush hour. You would be lucky to see your husband home before 9pm.

On Google maps it looks like a fantastic 20 minute quick drive. But last time I did it during rush hour, it took me nearly 2 hours.

There are no trains and no ferries. Bus or car only.

I suppose you could cycle but hardly healthy breathing in all those car fumes.

Also Sydney is "unfriendly" to cyclists - so in general I would say avoid cycling if you value your life and sanity!

Bus is the best bet; as at least they have a Clearway bus lane.

On what grounds do you make accusations like this ? having lived down there for nearly 3 years I found no such problems

I am not making "accusations". Simply telling it as I see and feel it.

I am in the area a lot. I see and hear things.

And I have Aussie friends who have lived there for years who tell me things still aren't right. Nothing you can put your finger on. But a sort of menace brewing under the surface.

The racial problems they had there have not simply disappeared. Gone into hibernation more like.

Otherwise of course it is God's Own Country. Best place in Australia to live apparently. So some tell me.

Manly is probably your best bet then.

It has the beach lifestyle you wanted. But relatively close to the city.

And fast ferries of 18 minutes direct to Circular Quay. So your husband will be back home super fast in the evenings to spend time with the children.

The Manly Ferry SmartCard gives you discounts on ferry fares.

Manly also has some good mothers groups for you. Good support and make friends:

https://www.facebook.com/manlymums/

http://www.buggybootcamp.com.au/

http://surfingmums.com

Manly does get busy because it is a very popular holiday and day trip destination. It is fine during the week. But can get crowded at weekends.

It also has rental properties within your price range.

The best thing you can do, is book into temporary accommodation for say six weeks upon your arrival. That will then give you the opportunity to explore different suburbs and find one you really like.

Thanks v much for your advice, grateful for the links too.

Thanks v much for your advice, grateful for the links too.

A lot of new arrivals struggle because they do feel isolated and miss family support back home. It can make you feel terribly homesick and unhappy.

So I think if you get emotional support from other mums it will be excellent. You will make new friends in no time. There seems to be a lot of mums in Manly.

And by the look of that boot camp, you will get super fit and healthy in the process.

Even walking along the promenade in the Manly sunshine will help chase any sorrows. It is a very pretty area.

I think location is vitally important for mental health issues. I get quite down in the city in places like Chinatown. All hussle and bussle, homeless people begging and car horns blaring. But I feel my spirits lift when I am by the sea in a pretty location. I go to Manly quite often for lunch.

Edited by BooBooBear

Yes I'll definitely need to meet up with other mummies! And getting healthy is a main aim of mine. We live a couple of hours from family in the UK, so we're used to not having them around. I love the idea of living by the beach - good for the soul, but appreciate it will mean living in a 3 bed apartment. Coming from a large a 5 bedroom detached house, that'll be hard (& think we'd need to find cheap Oz storage for a few things!)

Guys, can I ask if anyone just drives to Manly Wharf & parks there to get the fast ferry into CBD? (About $15-20 a day all up.) We are thinking of that option - seems quicker than driving all the way or getting stuck in traffic on a bus. Your thoughts would be fantastic! X

There is a car park ( underground) about a 3 min walk to the wharf think it's around the $30 per day to park , your going to be spending a lot of money on ferry and parking might be better to put that to rental to be closer to work ? The buses have specific lanes for them so don't get hold up as much as you think ,

your best bet is to get here ,take a temp rental appartment and see what area and travel works best for you ,in reality it's very different in the flesh as to speak. Good luck with the move.

this may or may not be useful - a couple of recent studies:

http://www.domain.com.au/news/domain-liveable-sydney-citys-555-suburbs-ranked/

and http://www.domain.com.au/news/for-the-most-liveable-sydney-areas-for-families-head-north-20160812-gqoetj/

I wouldn't take these exactly at face value, but there's some tips there, There's loads of places here, all with a slightly different flavour, and different cost of living.

Guys, can I ask if anyone just drives to Manly Wharf & parks there to get the fast ferry into CBD? (About $15-20 a day all up.) We are thinking of that option - seems quicker than driving all the way or getting stuck in traffic on a bus. Your thoughts would be fantastic! X

I lived on the northern beaches for five years and worked in the CBD. Never met anyone that travelled to work by ferry! Our bus ticket was something like $30 per week, maybe a bit less, so spending $20 or more per day in order to use the ferry would not make financial sense for most people.

The buses have special lanes and are fine in the morning if you go early, a bit more painful in the evening. I have only travelled on the ferry at the weekend or sometimes during the week but not during commuter period. It really isn't that quick, with the queuing and boarding process and of course they do not depart every five minutes like buses do either. I think you might be romanticising this idea of taking the ferry to work everyday.

I wouldn't recommend it. I think you can get $20 Early Bird parking at Manly Wharf but then you've got the ferry ticket to pay, too. And then you've got to consider the time factor.

If your home is some distance to the Wharf parking then it may take you half an hour just to get there and get parked. Then the ferry arrives at Circular Quay, which is at the far northern end of the CBD - so you'll have to catch another train or bus to get to your office.

Plus of course if there's fog, the ferry won't run.

The idea of taking the Manly ferry to work is very romantic but not terribly practical IMO!

Edited by Marisawright

• 2 weeks later...
I lived on the northern beaches for five years and worked in the CBD. Never met anyone that travelled to work by ferry! Our bus ticket was something like $30 per week, maybe a bit less, so spending $20 or more per day in order to use the ferry would not make financial sense for most people.

The buses have special lanes and are fine in the morning if you go early, a bit more painful in the evening. I have only travelled on the ferry at the weekend or sometimes during the week but not during commuter period. It really isn't that quick, with the queuing and boarding process and of course they do not depart every five minutes like buses do either. I think you might be romanticising this idea of taking the ferry to work everyday.

The fast ferry leaves every ten minutes in peak hour and takes 18 minutes... By far the best option.

The fast ferry leaves every ten minutes in peak hour and takes 18 minutes... By far the best option.

How is it the best option when it is five times the price when you include parking? And still need to account for getting to station, boarding process and getting from circular quay to office. It is an option that is only likely to make sense for somebody that lives within five minutes walk of Manly Wharf and works that end of the city.