Timeline Social Worker 189 visa grant

kmrg

Hi all,

I thought I would add my timeline as a thread for any Social Workers who are wondering how long the whole process takes from EOI to visa grant.

I completed IELTS in April 2015, it took me two goes to get the scores of 8 required for 20 points.

Skills assessment with AASW completed in April 2015. I just had my degree assessed not work experience, it took 11 weeks for this to be processed and returned. They email you a copy with outcome and then paper copy arrives later.

EOI submitted 28/12/2015 - 60 points (25 age, 15 degree, 20 IELTS)

Invitation to apply 22/01/16

Application submitted with Police checks and medicals 11/4/16

Visa granted on 27/5/16

Process was much quicker than I expected, I was assuming there maybe a longer wait due to only having 60 points.

• 1 year later...

Hi

You have 12 months from the date of the visa grant. I went over for a holiday to activate the visa at end of 2016 and then moved over here fully in July 2017. 

70 points is a high score so hopefully you won't need to wait too long for an invitation to apply. 

2 hours ago, kmrg said:

Hi

You have 12 months from the date of the visa grant. I went over for a holiday to activate the visa at end of 2016 and then moved over here fully in July 2017. 

70 points is a high score so hopefully you won't need to wait too long for an invitation to apply. 

Actually, its usually 12 months from the date of the medical or police check, whichever was earlier. Thats why people are advised not to do them early.

if you got 12 months from grant, thats very unusual, but well done!!

• 1 year later...

Hi kmrg,

I know this post in quite old but I am due to take my Ielts on the 27th of April and im pretty worried about the academic writing part. which parts did you find most difficult?

I am also about to qualify with a Masters in social work in June so looking to get a skills assessment done as soon as to progress to the next step of EOI.

Did you find it difficult to get work. Also did you get a 189 visa?

thanks Tricia 

Hi triciamce8,

Yes I had to redo the writing component of the IELTS as I got 7.5 on the first go. I just did all the online practice papers and did quite a lot of study in the few weeks before to make sure I was prepared. I also found the listening difficult at first as you really have to concentrate to hear what is being said, but got used to it after a few practice goes. 

Yes, I got the 189 visa. When I arrived in 2017 I already had 4 years post qualifying experience and also had relevant experience from before I qualified so haven't found it difficult to find work at all. However it depends what type of work you would like to do, and I have found that most work is for 12 month contracts rather than permanent positions. It would probably be best if you could get a years post qualifying work experience first in the UK before coming over. 

My experience is in adults social work, I have worked three temporary contracts since I arrived as both hospital social worker and also as an NDIS support coordinator. Some of the adults roles here in Australia don't require a social work degree, particularly in the disability sector. However I have found even for roles which don't require a social work degree I am being paid more than I was in the UK for qualified Social Worker roles.