ACCA Membership assessment and response from IPA!

A count ant

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and hoping to learn and contribute :)

Below are my credentials:

1) ACCA affiliate status achieved in June 2011

2) ACCA Membership status achieved in January 2016

3) No other degrees, diplomas or certifications

I have been interested in immigration to Australia so I did some research on my own to see how likely it is that I may end up there.

I approached a famous consultant in my country and they told me that after the changes that in to effect mid year 2015 for Accountants (Economics and Statistics addition to Core areas), ACCA membership alone would not suffice for positive assessment for Accountant (General) category. They asked to do an additional qualification e.g. any relevant Bachelors or Master degree. This was a shocker!

I decided to email IPA and received a response from. Email chain is pasted below:

Email I sent:

"Hello, I am an ACCA member without any other degree or diploma. With the changes that came into effect from mid year 2015 , I would like to know if ACCA membership alone could result in positive assessment for Accountant General job Occupation.Your feedback will be very helpful.

Thanking you in advance"

Email I received in response:

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The minimum level of qualification for migration purposes is one that is assessed as comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree plus applicant must also meet the compulsory core knowledge areas for the nominated occupation and show evidence of meeting the English proficiency requirements. For example, IELTS Academic with minimum 7.0 in each band is required to meet the Permanent Residency visa requirement. There is no exception for English test, it is mandatory for all applicants.

A professional qualification from ACCA is acceptable for assessment. You will need to qualify for ACCA membership (completed all exams + 3 years mentored experience) to have your qualification deemed comparable. If you have passed all required papers from ACCA, then you are likely to meet all the compulsory core knowledge areas. However we can only confirm once a formal application is receive with all supporting documents. For your ACCA qualification, the membership certificate and Examination History Details or Examination Results and Status Report.

Please refer to the IPA website http://www.publicaccountants.org.au/immigration for a list of core knowledge areas, fees, and assessment process in general. An application form is also available to download should you wish to proceed.

Please feel free to contact me if you require any further assistance.

Kind regards,

XXX .... "

What should I make out of this? This is confusing me because these Immigration agents I contacted are the most recognized here for Australia Immigration but what I see from IPA's response, I could get a positive assessment.

Your .02 please :)

Thanks!

Hi there,

Sorry I can't help much but I have one suggestion for you. Don't bother with IPA. They're a bit of a joke and some don't even recognise them as an association of professional accountants. Go with CAANZ or CPA and you'll get better advice. They'll give you better advice.

I've never met an accountant here who was an IPA. However I met heaps of bookkeepers who were IPAs.

Just my personal advice after being here for five years and working as an accountant.

Hi there,

Sorry I can't help much but I have one suggestion for you. Don't bother with IPA. They're a bit of a joke and some don't even recognise them as an association of professional accountants. Go with CAANZ or CPA and you'll get better advice. They'll give you better advice.

I've never met an accountant here who was an IPA. However I met heaps of bookkeepers who were IPAs.

Just my personal advice after being here for five years and working as an accountant.

thank you for your response!

In my situation though, the only time I will be using IPA is for Migration Assessment. As long as it comes out to be positive, I am good because I will not using IPA for further education or anything.

What's your points breakdown with no experience ?

Its 50 with current IELTS. If I can score superior score, then its 60 (without state nomination of course). Even then I hardly stand a chance considering the number of invites and the trend of invitations in 15 - 16 :)