Options for a 3 year old in Brisbane?

huske

Hi everyone!

We are moving to Brisbane in November and need advice on what education options there are for a 3 year old( will be 3 end of December 2016)? I understand that its not compulsory as the schools age is 6???

Are there state and private Kindergartens?

Do kids get any hours per week free at all?

I would not be looking at full time (5 days as week), but only around 15/20hrs max per week.

Many thanks!!!

Start with Queensland government website.

School age - kids must turn 5 by end of July in the year they start Prep.

You need to know where you will be living before you start looking for kindergartens.

There is also family day care, run by Brisbane City Council.

Kindergarten and childcare are quite separate. Kindergarten is five day fortnight, usually. Childcare can be full time or a few days a week. Subsidies, if any, will depend on visa status etc. See federal government websites.

The Brisbane City Council has a lot of things on for kids in the local libraries during the working week.

• 3 weeks later...
Nothing free until they are 4 and maybe not even then if you can't find a place. If you have PR you might get some child care rebate otherwise it's going to cost you ball park $100 per day

That proce is just crazy. I dont understad why the government doesnt economically support the kindergarten system more, so that parents can afford to put their kids into kindie. We also have a 2,5 yr old and I have been going into the numbers. They hurt.