Flying/shipping tools over from the uk??

Asheasty

Hi..im just wondering if anybody has flew over or shipped power tools and hand tools over to aus? I'm a carpenter and have literally every tool you need to do the job and it's taken me years to build up my kit ,just wondering if it's going to be worth selling up and buying again when I'm out there or getting them sent over .is it cost affective and easy to organise are my main concerns ,any info would be appreciated ,thanks.

Im not a tradie but an enthusiastic DIYer and took most of my tools (powered and hand) with me. It would have cost a small fortune to replace what i had and i reasoned some of it might not be avaliable.

Some things to be aware of:

How are you shipping? by sea can take 3 months - will you need the tools right before you leave/right after you arrive. By air can be expensive for heavy things and tools tend to be a very heavy..

You will need to change the plugs to AUS sockets (or, as i have done, take a bunch of 4/6way extension leads and change the plugs on those.)

Can you get replacement blades/heads etc that fit here easily?

Make sure they are very clean, drown them in jeyes fluid so that customs can see your not bringing any dirt etc in include your toolboxes in this .

It'll be an expense and compromise whatever you do, but i dont regret bringing my stuff, and only regret leaving some of the stuff that i did.

Edited by kevsan

My hubby is a mechanic and shipped a lot of his tools. Customs request they are clean and free of dirt and grease so you do need to be careful with what you send (putting hand tools in a hot engine wash worked great for us). The shippers requested every tool box light enough to be lifted by 2 men so hubby bought some cheap plastic tool chests and split his stuff up. All in , it worked out fine for us and many other members have shipped tools without any hassle too.

Cal x

Hi..im just wondering if anybody has flew over or shipped power tools and hand tools over to aus? I'm a carpenter and have literally every tool you need to do the job and it's taken me years to build up my kit ,just wondering if it's going to be worth selling up and buying again when I'm out there or getting them sent over .is it cost affective and easy to organise are my main concerns ,any info would be appreciated ,thanks.

I shipped all my tools ( carpenter and mechanical tools lath ,milling machine ,pillar drill)

all soaked and cleaned with jays fluid then a good coating of wd40

no problems

brought a basic kit of tools to get me going when I got here as checked in baggage ( got 50 kg each with Emirates ) as we had opened a ANZ bank account just declared when we arrived no problems at all.

batteries from cordless was in my carry on baggage as that is what is required have a look with airline company you are flying with on line all information is there.

I would bring everything with you I have also brought my 110v gear as well use it at home and replaced with oz stuff as it needed.

the 240v is same as uk just different plug

luck

Edited by Rallyman

Thanks a lot guys..all of my tools are battery cordless power tools, I have nail guns which are pretty heavy so I think I will sell them and just bite the bullet and buy them again when I get to Aussie but fly over my hand tools and makita kit,thanks for your help.

Makita battery tools ate very cheap here but saying that I brought all my tools with me. Sell any 110v stuff and buy here.

So do you think it would be worth bringing all my paslodes and makita cordless kit with me ,I don't use 110v gear anymore anyway that's not a problem,my main issue is ,is it gna be more cost effective for me to fly my tools over or buy them all brand new over there ..just wanted to know if anyone had done it and remembers how much it costs ,thanks.

So do you think it would be worth bringing all my paslodes and makita cordless kit with me ,I don't use 110v gear anymore anyway that's not a problem,my main issue is ,is it gna be more cost effective for me to fly my tools over or buy them all brand new over there ..just wanted to know if anyone had done it and remembers how much it costs ,thanks.

Paslodes are around $650 to $700 here and look on Bunning (just like B&Q) they're pretty cheap for makita kit. Get the prices from there and make your own mind up