Planing to move to Australia (mount Gambier or Millicent)

Inga Kuciauskiene

Hya, my Mrs is from Mount Gambier - will find out for you. We spend heaps of time in that town and I love the joint. Big enough to have everything you need (and I mean everything from a full size motorbike race track to a velodrome) and small enough to be a small town i.e. easy.

There are a couple of car dealers at the south end of the main street, usual stuff in Mitsubishi / Toyota etc. We have just bought an NX Pajero and MQ Triton and really like them both.

We are actually in the process of reviewing a move to Robe (just up the road).....

Mt Gambier would get my vote of the two places. It's not that big a town (from my perspective moving from the UK it's average) but is classed as SA's second largest city and has a population of about 26,000. Millicent is about 50km away and much smaller. And tbh there isn't much else around. Adelaide is a good 4-5 hour drive away and a few small towns dotted around.

I like Mt Gambier, have family living there still. It's a nice town, enjoying visiting it. I'd not personally want to live there as its so far from any decent sized city and I'd jot want to live that kind of single town life day in day out but obviously this is a personal thing and others are very happy to live in the town or to move there.

There are probably only a couple of options primary school wise in a town that size. As to standard and so on of them, no clue. Rural towns often have a hard time attracting teachers to posts so not sure what the depth of the teaching pool would be. High school wise, again limited options.

You would probably apply to the school direct once you are there. View them and see what you like. I'd also not rule out Mt Gambier to give you more options school wise. I'd rather have more than a choice of two in a rural area personally.