6 Weeks & counting until I land in Sydney

kyrajade

Hey guys,

So I am heading out to Sydney in 6 weeks time! I'm getting so excited but slightly nervous as I'm doing this alone. I have a few questions and would be grateful if someone could provide me with some answers...

-Should I transfer my money across before I come over, if so, how & with which company?

-Can I use my NatWest card over there?

-Did anybody take there laptop/macbook with them? I'm just thinking will I need it to apply for jobs etc?

-Did anyone else come over to Aus with no plan and a week booked in a hostel then after that just see what happens?

-What is the best way to get from Sydney airport into the city when I land?

-What should I pack (girls help!)

-Any top tips of stuff I can be organizing before I come over/when I get there?

-I'm planning on getting my farm work out of the way first, any tips on where to go & what is best?

-Lastly is it common for there to be a lot of people solo traveling doing the WHV, I am scared that I'm just not going to meet anyone haha!:laugh: 

Thanks in advance!

Kyra

x

Hey kyra

Welcome to PIO. I think most people use moneycorp or transferwise, if you use moneycorp you don't pay fees as a PIO member. It's pretty easy to transfer money, just takes a few days.

You could use your natwest in the short term but you would be best opening a aus bank before you come out. I use commonwealth bank but there's others too. I brought a tablet, occasionally I wish I'd brought laptop but it was heavy. There's plenty of internet cafes etc but it's really up to you.

I was booked onto the ultimate oz group for a week with a extra week booked on top of that but I cancelled the 2nd week and went to perth. I'd advise just book a week because chances are you'll form some sort of travel plan. There's a train into the city and taxis. Maybe a shuttle but not sure about that.

Don't pack loads of stuff because you likely won't wear most of it. Definitely bring a jacket and a few warm things. I didn't bring that much warm stuff and had to buy new stuff recently. There's cheap shops a bit like primark.

Have you got travel insurance? Best place for farm work is gumtree, harvest line and a few other websites. Try go for hourly paid like a cattle or sheep farm. I tried fruit picking and wouldn't advise it but other people find it ok. Most girls I've found are travelling alone, you'll be fine!