Hansen warns of terror on the streets swamped by Asians

newjez

Define Asian. Is it really a problem to have a suburb where there are large numbers of people that come from China, Japan, Vietnam, India, Bangladesh, Syria, Afganistan, Indonesia and Malaysia? And would such a suburb be more of an issue than one where people came from places like England, Germany, Italy, South Africa, Canada, Russia and France?

Your using the British definition of Asian as you know.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the problems of multiculturalism are caused by this tendency for ethnic ghettos where a different culture takes over a whole area.

Success would be integration where cultures mix throughout the community.

While not exactly the same as you have brought it up Aboriginals all together in remote camps is a problem.

I'm surprised you can't recognise this as a problem.

Oh, you mean like the British taking over Australia all those years ago and trying to decimate the Indigenous population and impose their own culture. I am with you now.

Edited by Sammy1

Your using the British definition of Asian as you know.

So enlighten me. What is the Australian definition of Asian? Or at least the parleycross definition as my Australian OH seems to agree with me that Asian means from Asia and that Asia is a rather large continent taking in rather large numbers of culturally diverse people.

Most of the problems of multiculturalism are caused by this tendency for ethnic ghettos where a different culture takes over a whole area.

Success would be integration where cultures mix throughout the community.

While not exactly the same as you have brought it up Aboriginals all together in remote camps is a problem.

I'm surprised you can't recognise this as a problem.

We attended a wedding once, where they mixed all the guests up for the meal, so everyone was sitting with strangers. God it was boring.

People are very quick to condemn Hanson, and her views should be condemned (really? CCTV in mosques?!), but I think we gloss over the fact that she has a wide following. Why is that and what can be done to address the real issues? I think the real issue is disengagement of voters and economic opportunity. Is it any surprise that as mining investment has fallen off a cliff, and drought has affected landowners, that regional Queensland is feeling isolated by the major parties? The likes of Hanson gets up because she identifies a reason for these issues and pays attention. I very much doubt everyone who voted for her is actually racist, but I do think they feel let down by other politicians.

She picked up votes from the defunct Clive Palmer party (PUP) in Queensland, and others. She is the last in a long line of Queensland populists. It's a highly decentralized state. It's partly Turnbull's fault. He should have known that in a Double Dissolution election, in which only 7.7% of the vote secures a quota, she would be elected. Now we are stuck with her for six years. Not clear if she will pick up other Senate seats. Senator Jackie Lambie from Tasmania shares some of her views - e.g."ban the Burka". Not all populists are racists of course. e.g. Katter (also from Queensland) is populist but not racist. Not all of her supporters are racist, though probably most are. She is like all the other populists - picking up votes from those who feel left behind by rapid technological and economic change, who are bent on blaming someone. Typically older, white working class males. The end of the mining boom has also hit Queensland hard. Unemployment is very high in many regional towns. This is all going on when we have had a quarter of a century of uninterrupted economic growth. What will it be like if we have a recession? The Queensland Premier has already expressed anxiety about Hanson's impact on Queensland's trade (mostly with Asia, of course), international student market (also mostly from Asia.) The major parties are going to have to be very careful how they deal with her. She is running under the banner of being opposed to Political Correctness, of course. The more the "Southern Elites" and the "Goat Cheese Set" try to ridicule her, the more popular she will become - "little Ozzie Battler".

Just because she was not in government does not mean that she went away and people did not agree with her views. People are becoming more empowered and are voting that way. Democracy has room for all opinions and that has to continue. Most Aussies like the Senate to be colourful and disruptive as it makes the parties work harder in the lower house to get a more even handed outcome to their new ideas.

People often say I will vote so and so in lower house but not in the Senate.

We have to live with it so expect we can expect some interesting journalism over the next few years.

I would like bills to be passed but only if they were ones I liked ha ha. Not ones I do not like.

She picked up votes from the defunct Clive Palmer party (PUP) in Queensland, and others. She is the last in a long line of Queensland populists. It's a highly decentralized state. It's partly Turnbull's fault. He should have known that in a Double Dissolution election, in which only 7.7% of the vote secures a quota, she would be elected. Now we are stuck with her for six years. Not clear if she will pick up other Senate seats. Senator Jackie Lambie from Tasmania shares some of her views - e.g."ban the Burka". Not all populists are racists of course. e.g. Katter (also from Queensland) is populist but not racist. Not all of her supporters are racist, though probably most are. She is like all the other populists - picking up votes from those who feel left behind by rapid technological and economic change, who are bent on blaming someone. Typically older, white working class males. The end of the mining boom has also hit Queensland hard. Unemployment is very high in many regional towns. This is all going on when we have had a quarter of a century of uninterrupted economic growth. What will it be like if we have a recession? The Queensland Premier has already expressed anxiety about Hanson's impact on Queensland's trade (mostly with Asia, of course), international student market (also mostly from Asia.) The major parties are going to have to be very careful how they deal with her. She is running under the banner of being opposed to Political Correctness, of course. The more the "Southern Elites" and the "Goat Cheese Set" try to ridicule her, the more popular she will become - "little Ozzie Battler".

I don't have a problem with the hijab, but the niqab and burka should be banned. There are many reasons for this, but security is the utmost.

Don't forget the impact of how the voting system works. In the Senate, it is both proportional and preferential. At Federation, it was settled that all the states would have the same number of elected representatives in the Senate. Which, incidentally, has much stronger powers than the House of Lords. Thus, each state - regardless of population- currently has twelve senators. Every one's vote is equal. Hanson has achieved her quota with a vestigial support system. It has been commented on that it was easy to tell the Hanson voters at the polling places. They looked sullen, picked up no how to vote cards (distributed by political parties). Now she is entitled to electoral funding, a staffed office, all the perks of being a Senator etc etc. The Senate will be finely balanced, and she will have many suitors, whether the major parties and the other independents like it or not. She will be in the Senate for six years, a permanent reminder of Turnbull's miscalculation.

Burkhas, which are worn only in Afghanistan, are rarely seen in Australia. As to the niqab, a bill failed in Queensland in 2014 that would have required women to take them off for identification purposes. It was not supported by either major party, and this is unlikely to change. Not sure about other states. I personally don't like seeing the niqab. But I don't like threatening-looking Maori males with a face full of tatoos either - see far more of those in Brisbane than niqabs, and there are plenty of Maori gangs involved in drugs and major crime. I don't like to see Australian women walking around in Singapore with half their bums hanging out either- see plenty of that, and I can assure you that the locals find it highly offensive. I have actually seen Australian women at Singapore airport wearing outfits so revealing that they have been made to cover up. And while it's apparently true that bin Laden escaped from Tora Bora wearing a burkha, where do you draw the line on security? Older Greek women here still wear flowing black dresses - could hide quite an arsenal under some of those.

My son went to a state IB school. Entry was by aptitude test and interview. There were about 50% of white faces when he started school and this probably dropped to about 30% when he graduated through people dropping out. You had to be pretty brainy to get in and you had to work like a dog to stay in. The majority of the students getting top marks were Asian - the future doctors, dentists, engineers. There was no bullying at the school but the workload nearly crippled my son. The kids had this phenomenal work ethic backed up by parental support and intervention. My hubby works at a state school - Asian girls particularly a breeze to teach. All these kids contribute a lot to the society we live in and their success is very hard won.

Banning the niqab for security is ridiculous. Are we also going to ban any clothing which covers someones face? Motorcycle helmets? Hoodies? Are we going to have police taking out women wearing veils at funerals? It's farcical.

Regarding the senate, in a moment of clarity this morning I realised that the House of Reps majority system actually causes minor parties to target the Senate rather than the lower house. Why would the Greens or any other minor party put resources into the House of Reps when they can poll 9% of the vote but still only get 1 seat? Much better to target a proportional representation system where they can poll 9% and get approximately 9% of the seats.

What does this mean for Australia? Well, the large parties will put more resources into the House of Reps because they have a chance of gaining real power, but then they'll find that they may not have a majority in the Senate because voters are put off by politics and so they vote for the minor parties and/or independents. Suddenly the lower house cannot pass legislation without offering concessions to the Motoring Enthusiast Party or some such. Also, the minor parties start treating the Senate not as a house of review, but as a means to put forward their own policies because they couldn't get elected in the lower house. The result is a whole heap of politicking and generally poor behaviour. The solution is to introduce the PR system with multi-member constituencies to the lower house.

Once I become Emperor I'll get it done and we can all bask in a utopian society*

*manifesto also includes daylight savings for south east Queensland and the removal of compulsory voting. Most other policies will be made on the fly.

You said yourself you didn't listen to her views so you would have no idea what she said.

And immigration is the main concern over Brexit so very relevant, as Brexit supporters have been condemned as racist by Quinkla and many others.

uncontrolled immigration, controlled immigration has brought massive befits to the uk.

Banning the niqab for security is ridiculous. Are we also going to ban any clothing which covers someones face? Motorcycle helmets? Hoodies? Are we going to have police taking out women wearing veils at funerals? It's farcical.

Regarding the senate, in a moment of clarity this morning I realised that the House of Reps majority system actually causes minor parties to target the Senate rather than the lower house. Why would the Greens or any other minor party put resources into the House of Reps when they can poll 9% of the vote but still only get 1 seat? Much better to target a proportional representation system where they can poll 9% and get approximately 9% of the seats.

What does this mean for Australia? Well, the large parties will put more resources into the House of Reps because they have a chance of gaining real power, but then they'll find that they may not have a majority in the Senate because voters are put off by politics and so they vote for the minor parties and/or independents. Suddenly the lower house cannot pass legislation without offering concessions to the Motoring Enthusiast Party or some such. Also, the minor parties start treating the Senate not as a house of review, but as a means to put forward their own policies because they couldn't get elected in the lower house. The result is a whole heap of politicking and generally poor behaviour. The solution is to introduce the PR system with multi-member constituencies to the lower house.

Once I become Emperor I'll get it done and we can all bask in a utopian society*

*manifesto also includes daylight savings for south east Queensland and the removal of compulsory voting. Most other policies will be made on the fly.

Try wearing a motorcycle helmet into a bank.

Hoodies being pulled over your head are banned in many service stations around Logan at night . You will be asked to remove it. Creates a lot of anger..

Yes, know all about this. My granddaughter will be going to a local school in Singapore. I had a look at the maths for Primary Three and reached for my smelling salts. At five, still in kindy, she is expected to be able to read at least a hundred Chinese characters - no one at home speaks Mandarin. Interestingly, the government there is running one of its frequent campaigns - trying to get parents to be less kiasu (pushy, demanding). In Brisbane, the kids in State High seem to have a large percentage of Indians and Chinese. Anecdotal evidence - I see them quite often.

Reading this thread with a lot of interest. People need to accept that the world is a lot more open and truly 'global' now. Every single country, barring the most atrocious, inaccessible, warring or evil ones, have a mix of residents/migrants/citizens from different parts of the world

Most of the European countries, USA and Australia have a long history of well integrated immigrants (who by the way are a big reason for having a wonderful mix of cultures and history for that country) as well as recent influx of economical migrants. So called developed countries have opened their doors because they dont have sufficient 'local' talent to do the jobs, or have fattened kids/adults who wont do menial work resulting in a big movement of hard working folks from the poorer or say not as affluent countries such as Asia.

That's how life is today and will be going forward, the mix of cultures and impact of free movement of people (whether for work, retirement or asylum) will continue leading to a real globalised way of living. Yes, there will be suburbs in every single one of these countries where people from similar countries or backgrounds will congregate, it's a fact of life.

For those who think this is wrong then perhaps it's time to move to countries who really enforce the concept of my country and my people : Saudi Arabia or Kuwait?

You could also move to China and India where the people are very welcoming. Or perhaps South Americas where again they are welcoming and open. If these countries dont float your boat then perhaps Iceland or Alaska? I hear it's cold there but atleast you get the experience of the entire nation being from the same background

I love the fact we have a more open and tolerant world today than ever before. It is sad we have extremism (which isnt because of our open culture) but such are the times we live in. Overall, people leave their home countries and their loved ones to only seek a BETTER life and they achieve that by a lot of sacrifice and hard work. If a few of them want to congregate in a suburb of their own then fine, go on and do it because you deserve it. It still doesnt make them terrible or isolated people, they become a fabric of the country they call their home

KnK