Harold Allen

Australian Citizenship

Hi,

Can someone pse provide some clarity re the requirements for existing passports when applying for Aus citizenship.

Our british passports have expired (we have residency) and we now qualify for citizenship.

Do we need current passports or will the expired passports suffice? Can't find anything on the Oz Immi website.

Thx

H

I've literally just submitted my citizenship application. I didn't see anything that implied your passports need be current.

I'm sure someone else better informed may give better advice but if I were you I'd just submit as is. I'm sure if this isn't acceptable you may need to provide some additional/alternative identification such as a driving license.

I applied online. I'd also not take my 'advice' as gospel :) hopefully someone can verify if it needs to be a current passport.

did you do an online application or paper?

Thx. H

A current passport is useful but you may not need it if you have alternatives such as a current Australian driver's licence.

See

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/application-options/migrant-with-permanent-residence

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/Appl/What-documents-do-you-need/identity-documents

Edited by ricco56

Richard (Ric) Stacey

BEng, GradDipEd, GradCert Australian Migration Law & Practice

Registered Migration Agent, MARN: 1681158

staceymigration.com.au

We used expired UK passports for our application a few years ago (not on-line) and everything was fine.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Thx for all the feedback!

I cannot get past page 3 of the e-logdment page without a current passport. Even when I say I have a passport because it is an expired passport the system will not let me move on with the application. Any suggestions or thoughts?. H

Hi, we had this problem as well, and you have to select 'No' you don't have a current passport if it's expired. then another pop up box should appear where you can add your passport details including date of expiry. When I couldn't get past that page I called the helpline (ha what a joke that is!) and was advised to put in a 'future date" then add a note at the end of the form explaining this. Unfortunately that information was incorrect, and when I called them a second time, the girl I spoke to advised to select NO, then follow the prompts. We had no issues with our expired passports and sat the test/interview last week. Hope that helps!

Hi,

I'm just wondering if you had any luck with your online application, I have exactly the same issue and it won't let me past page 3. Very frustrating but I've bought this upon myself by letting the passports expire when I could have got this done months ago!

Cheers,

Scott

skills test 10/08/10, passed 29/08/10, 176 skilled sponsored applied 06/09/10, email from DIAC 18/03/11, meds and police checks 06/04/11,all documentation met 17/6/11...visa granted 20/6/11 flying to Sydney 07/11/11 then moving up to QLD:biggrin:

Hi,

I'm just wondering if you had any luck with your online application, I have exactly the same issue and it won't let me past page 3. Very frustrating but I've bought this upon myself by letting the passports expire when I could have got this done months ago!

Did you try selecting "no"?

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, is due out August 2022

yes, just comes up with "error"

Applicant must supply one complete passport or document for travel record in order to continue

Edited by redditchcouple

skills test 10/08/10, passed 29/08/10, 176 skilled sponsored applied 06/09/10, email from DIAC 18/03/11, meds and police checks 06/04/11,all documentation met 17/6/11...visa granted 20/6/11 flying to Sydney 07/11/11 then moving up to QLD:biggrin: