Australian Citizenship

Harold Allen

Hi,

Can someone pse provide some clarity re the requirements for existing passports when applying for Aus citizenship.

Our british passports have expired (we have residency) and we now qualify for citizenship.

Do we need current passports or will the expired passports suffice? Can't find anything on the Oz Immi website.

Thx

H

I've literally just submitted my citizenship application. I didn't see anything that implied your passports need be current.

I'm sure someone else better informed may give better advice but if I were you I'd just submit as is. I'm sure if this isn't acceptable you may need to provide some additional/alternative identification such as a driving license.

A current passport is useful but you may not need it if you have alternatives such as a current Australian driver's licence.

See

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/application-options/migrant-with-permanent-residence

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/Appl/What-documents-do-you-need/identity-documents

Edited by ricco56

Thx for all the feedback!

I cannot get past page 3 of the e-logdment page without a current passport. Even when I say I have a passport because it is an expired passport the system will not let me move on with the application. Any suggestions or thoughts?. H

Hi, we had this problem as well, and you have to select 'No' you don't have a current passport if it's expired. then another pop up box should appear where you can add your passport details including date of expiry. When I couldn't get past that page I called the helpline (ha what a joke that is!) and was advised to put in a 'future date" then add a note at the end of the form explaining this. Unfortunately that information was incorrect, and when I called them a second time, the girl I spoke to advised to select NO, then follow the prompts. We had no issues with our expired passports and sat the test/interview last week. Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...