Step by step guide to teaching....

Aloysius

Hi

I have done a lot of research and read through lots of threads, but I am still not quite sure how to register as a teacher.

I know that I have the points to obtain a visa, but please could someone tell me how to go about getting registered step by step. I am lost with all the "skills tests / EOI etc.......stuff.

Which bit should I do first, second, third?????

Thanks in advance.

Firstly, you need to decide if you are going to go for a visa yourself or contact an agent.

My husband did the skills test and gathered all his teaching evidence (proof of degree and PGCE, transcripts etc). Then he did his AITSL, then EOI then visa application, then medicals and police check.

He didn't register as a teacher until the visa had been granted.

Firstly, you need to decide if you are going to go for a visa yourself or contact an agent.

My husband did the skills test and gathered all his teaching evidence (proof of degree and PGCE, transcripts etc). Then he did his AITSL, then EOI then visa application, then medicals and police check.

He didn't register as a teacher until the visa had been granted.

Hi Tina

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I have seen the AITSL form and am starting to complete it. You mention a "transcript"....as it does on the form.......what is this? I have emailed the AITSL about it as I don't know what it is. I mean we get PGCE / degree certificates.....what is a transcript, or what did your other half use instead of?

Thanks

Anthony

First, I think you are getting mixed up between registration with a teaching body and getting a visa. They are totally separate things.

I suggest first, you concentrate on the visa.

You need to research a lot here: https://www.border.gov.au/

The first part is to check your occupation is on one of the two lists called SOL and CSOL. Generally teachers are, however, I am not sure primary teachers are.

Assuming it is on the list, then the next thing is to look at what is required for the skills assessment. This is usually a mix of qualifications and post qualification experience. If as part of this, you need a transcript, then this is a detailed list of the subjects you studied with a description of each module and what results you achieved. Universities can provide this for you.

Then, you need to calculate points. You need a minimum of 60. At the stage, many people find they are short and so need to get extra points. The most common way is to undertake English tests such as ILETS. Note as well, some occupations have ILETS as a requirement for the skills assessment and some also stipulate it must be a more advanced level such as ILETS academic.

Once you are happy you can achieve all of this, you need to get a positive skills assessment and if necessary ILETS, then when you have them, you can lodge an EOI (Expression of Interest). You then wait to be invited to apply. You then apply and upload all your documents and pay the fee and wait.

Once you have got everything under control, then you can start looking at registration. This will be with the state in which you intend to go to as education is state managed.

I would also suggest before lodging an application, you also research job availability as some areas of teaching have big issues with unemployment / too many teachers.

Guest HEISENBURG

Anthony,

I'm at the end of this process now & hoping to move in a few weeks. An academic transcript is a letter or certificate stating a breakdown of your qualification including modules / grades for each part. I provided this to AITSL for the national skills assessment and also to Queensland to register as a teacher in the state.

My PGCE provider were able to provide this by return of post, my uni for my BSc provided a letter saying that detailed records were no longer held ( graduated over 20 years ago). The academic admin offices at your Uni's will be familiar and will have dealt with many such requests. York Uni had an online application system if you search their site.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you've any other questions.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...