Brisbane suburbs - Paddington, Bardon...?

SerenaJ

Catholic schools will give priority to practising Catholics, of course. A lot of non Catholic parents want to get into those schools, but have to go to the back of the queue. If you want to get into one, then of course you have to accept that the school teaches Catholic values. Whether you think Paris is worth a Mass, so to speak.....(I might add that we are not nearly as sectarian as we used to be. The PM is a former Anglican turned Catholic, the Leader of the Opposition is a former Jesuit-educated Catholic turned Anglican. Most people don't care about this any more. We've had openly atheist PMs etc etc for decades now. )Catchment: all schools, both primary and secondary. have catchments. If the school is popular, it will be sticky about its catchment. Brisbane State High School for example, which now has 3,000 kids, requires proof that you are actually living in the catchment. It's a highly fraught subject!!! State High also takes in other kids by means of competitive exam. See website. The only selective six year high school. If you get into any school and then move out of the catchment, they don't kick your kid out. You also get sibling priority if you have another child.

Thanks - that's useful to know that once the child is in a school, they can stay. We were concerned as initially we'll be in holiday accommodation, then we'll move into rented, and then we may buy, and each of these places may be in slightly different areas, so we did wonder whether our son would have to keep moving school. That's a big relief! Thank you for all the useful information.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serviced apartments are all over the place. You might also try Airbnb. Note though that most houses and flats (called units here) are rented unfurnished. You might however have a hitch in getting your kid into a very popular school. You have to be able to prove that you live in the catchment. That will apply to probably all of them within a 5 K radius of the CBD. I'm 7 ks out, and know the local school is very fussy about its catchment. Not sure how you would square this circle. Perhaps pick an area you like, and get in touch with the school before you move? Others may have more detailed knowledge of this. You may have to pick an area a bit further out, with good public transport, get your kid into school there. Once you buy or rent, and have proof of this, the school in the catchment area you move into will have to take him.

+A School EMP is implemented in a school which is nearing its enrolment capacity, in order to prioritise enrolment places for students living within the school’s catchment area, or those meeting specific criteria detailed in the School EMP document. Only if sufficient capacity is available after meeting these criteria, and ensuring capacity is reserved for projected in-catchment enrolment growth, is a Principal able to enrol out-of-catchment students, including in Programs of Excellence (PoEs).

This procedure assists in avoiding enrolment spikes from out-of-catchment students, which results in the oversupply of infrastructure in some schools and underutilisation of infrastructure in neighbouring schools. Where a school has a School EMP in place, the Department of Education & Training’s (the Department) priority is to provide and maintain facilities, including Prep buildings, to meet in-catchment student demand.​​​​​+

See the Queensland Education Dept website. So you need to find - initially - a school that does NOT have an Enrolment Management Plan. So look for a school near good public transport - train or busway- that does not have a EMP in place. You may have to look around 10k radius of the CBD.

You may also have to pay higher fees than Australian citizens or Permanent Residents, depending on your visa. Know nothing about this.

+A School EMP is implemented in a school which is nearing its enrolment capacity, in order to prioritise enrolment places for students living within the school’s catchment area, or those meeting specific criteria detailed in the School EMP document. Only if sufficient capacity is available after meeting these criteria, and ensuring capacity is reserved for projected in-catchment enrolment growth, is a Principal able to enrol out-of-catchment students, including in Programs of Excellence (PoEs).

This procedure assists in avoiding enrolment spikes from out-of-catchment students, which results in the oversupply of infrastructure in some schools and underutilisation of infrastructure in neighbouring schools. Where a school has a School EMP in place, the Department of Education & Training’s (the Department) priority is to provide and maintain facilities, including Prep buildings, to meet in-catchment student demand.​​​​​+

See the Queensland Education Dept website. So you need to find - initially - a school that does NOT have an Enrolment Management Plan. So look for a school near good public transport - train or busway- that does not have a EMP in place. You may have to look around 10k radius of the CBD.

You may also have to pay higher fees than Australian citizens or Permanent Residents, depending on your visa. Know nothing about this.

Thanks. I'll keep the EMP in mind when looking. Going back to catchments etc, we do plan to stay in an Air BnB place when we first arrive. Will this address be sufficient for acceptance into a school, based on catchment, or will we have to have a 6 month rental contract on somewhere to prove we are settling in the area? We're now thinking of taking an extended holiday in SE Asia en route, so may not arrive until mid November. If there's only 3 weeks left till the end of term, do you think it would be obligatory for my son to be in school, or would it be acceptable for us to wait until we have settled in a proper rental and then get him enrolled in the local school at the start of the school term in Jan?

Just my personal opinion taking into account your comments, but in close proximity to Paddington I would avoid Toowong, Herston, Bowen Hills, Fortitude Valley.

Could I just ask why you suggest avoiding Toowong. I've had it recommended by a couple of other people as being leafy, near cafes etc. What are the downsides? Thanks.

It would be fine to start school in January. Schools resume just after Australia Day, 26 Jan. Airbnb address would not be sufficient. You would need a rental contract for at least six months. Have a look at the website of the schools you think the most likely prospect. No harm getting in touch as soon as you can. The rental market here is quite soft, so that is in your favour. If you have a rental record in the UK, I would bring that. If not, perhaps proof that you owned a house in the UK. Proof of income etc. The final decision will be made by the landlord- but as I said, landlords will not be too fussy at the moment. You should be in a position to bargain on rents. I also agree Toowong would be a good choice in most respects, but the school (Toowong) is not conveniently located. As you don't have family support here, with both of you working you will need to drop your son off and then get to work. School droppoffs are a nightmare. Parking in the city is expensive, if your company won't pay. Schools also have policies about how early kids can be dropped off. Hmmm. Maybe New Farm? Very trendy, and won't take long to get to CBD by bus, even in rush hour. Beginning to think my old school, Milton. Very trendy now. About 15 mins walk from the school to the train. Anyway, somewhere where the school is close to good public transport (train or busway), or is close enough in that you can get to the city by ordinary bus fairly quickly. You could also cycle from Milton State School a short distance along Baroona Rd and then get onto the bikeway that runs along Coronation Drive to the city. Wearing an approved helmet, of course. There is also Newmarket. The school is on a main road, the train station not far away. Pretty leafy there too.

Guest hoffer

Have you thought about bulimba/Hawthorne? we had a similar criteria as yourself and that's where we have ended up. Although buying here is proving to be a nightmare

Could I just ask why you suggest avoiding Toowong. I've had it recommended by a couple of other people as being leafy, near cafes etc. What are the downsides? Thanks.

I take my car to the garage in Toowoong so I have spent many hours walking the streets and sitting in cafes there. There are some nice streets but the traffic is pretty terrible. It is expensive to live but isn't as nice as Paddington or other smart suburbs. I feel that it is overrated. A lot of the nicer houses on the hill look onto the main roads.

The shopping centre really isn't all that (although there is a good second hand book shop). It is quite built up in parts. The station isn't very conveniently located - unless you are very close or enjoy a walk you have to cycle or drive to the station.

That is a very negative picture, and it isn't that bad! It's just that if I had the money to live in Paddington and similarly priced suburbs, I wouldn't be spending the money in Toowong.

Also if you choose to live in an area like Paddington, as pointed out your son's friends are likely to be going to private schools (probably expensive ones) after.

Plenty of the local kids go to state schools. The state schools in those areas are very well regarded.

A "character home" in those suburbs will cost at least a million. A Queenslander closer to two million. (You need to budget for maintenance for those. Painting one costs at least $20,000.) In fact, any character home within about 5 ks of the CBD will cost at least a million. See real estate websites. The quality (or perceived quality) of the schools tracks closely with median house prices. But you need to live in the catchment to be sure of a place.(See Dept of Education maps.)

Hi Roberta, I'm not sure what you consider a Queenslander but I presume my definition if far wider than yours as those prices seem extremely high given my definition. As I understand almost all pre-WWII homes are considered queenslanders, just many different styles. I presume you have one particular style in mind. Maybe the colonial style with full wrap around verandahs ?

Around 5km out you can get 3/4 bedders character homes starting around $800,000:

Example: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-red+hill-122762886

Example: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-ashgrove-121045198

If I were moving to Brisbane, I would be looking carefully at public transport. Paddington and Bardon have no railway or dedicated busways. They are also very hilly with narrow roads. (Originally bullock tracks on the ridges on the foothills of Mt Cootha) Traffic congestion is a big problem now. So is parking outside schools. Wilston would be a good bet - close to the train. Cafes etc but also a short bus ride to the city. There is also the ferry/City Cat network on the river. Anyway, why not rent for a while first? You can take out a six month lease. It might be better to start with jobs first anyway.

Paddington does have the Maroon city glider, 385 etc and the distance is short so the bus trip is only 10-15mins in peak...I find Latrobe Tce one of the least congested streets leading into Brisbane in peak hour.

Living in the area I find the traffic the easiest of anywhere I have lived in Brisbane. The steep windy streets are actually a blessing as only the locals know the way through many of them and the smaller connecting suburban roads are often empty almost right to the edge of the city, even when the neighbouring arterials carrying people from further away suburbs are busy. The rat runners don't dare enter the maze, it's great :)

Edited by fish.01

You might consider too whether your jobs might require frequent interstate travel, in which case you will want to be in the inner north.

Paddington is really easy now with the airport link tunnel, just have to pay that pesky toll. :)

In relation to schooling, Paddington just doesn't have a public secondary close by (at least that is my understanding). ...

FYI, Paddington's state high school is Kelvin Grove college which is around the same distance as the local private schools. Around 1.5km away from the edge of Paddington at the closest point. See:https://kelvingrovesc.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by fish.01

Thanks. I'll check out the bike paths too then - sounds worth looking into. ...

If you're looking in Paddington and want to cycle I would stick either to the Red Hill/Ashgrove side of Paddington to pick up the Ithaca Creek bikeway (flat, goes right into the city off-road) or the Rosalie Village side of Paddington to ride via the Bicentennial Bikeway (flat, to city, mostly off-road).

You can ride down Latrobe Tce in the morning ok and ride back up using the footpath in the evening but not as pleasant as the two other options above.

Edited by fish.01

It would be fine to start school in January. Schools resume just after Australia Day, 26 Jan. Airbnb address would not be sufficient. You would need a rental contract for at least six months. Have a look at the website of the schools you think the most likely prospect. No harm getting in touch as soon as you can. The rental market here is quite soft, so that is in your favour. If you have a rental record in the UK, I would bring that. If not, perhaps proof that you owned a house in the UK. Proof of income etc. The final decision will be made by the landlord- but as I said, landlords will not be too fussy at the moment. You should be in a position to bargain on rents. I also agree Toowong would be a good choice in most respects, but the school (Toowong) is not conveniently located. As you don't have family support here, with both of you working you will need to drop your son off and then get to work. School droppoffs are a nightmare. Parking in the city is expensive, if your company won't pay. Schools also have policies about how early kids can be dropped off. Hmmm. Maybe New Farm? Very trendy, and won't take long to get to CBD by bus, even in rush hour. Beginning to think my old school, Milton. Very trendy now. About 15 mins walk from the school to the train. Anyway, somewhere where the school is close to good public transport (train or busway), or is close enough in that you can get to the city by ordinary bus fairly quickly. You could also cycle from Milton State School a short distance along Baroona Rd and then get onto the bikeway that runs along Coronation Drive to the city. Wearing an approved helmet, of course. There is also Newmarket. The school is on a main road, the train station not far away. Pretty leafy there too.

Thanks. Lots of options to consider. I think I probably need to print off some kind of street map for each suburb, mark up the locations of the schools and then also mark up the where the bikeways are or the bus / trainlines. Then decide on which streets I'd consider living in within a certain radius. Sounds like end Nov would be a good time to come over, then we'd have almost 2 months to look for somewhere to rent before school starts and we need proof of address.

Have you thought about bulimba/Hawthorne? we had a similar criteria as yourself and that's where we have ended up. Although buying here is proving to be a nightmare

Yes we spend a morning in Bulimba and really liked it there. Why is buying proving so difficult? Is it lack of available stock? Or budget?

I take my car to the garage in Toowoong so I have spent many hours walking the streets and sitting in cafes there. There are some nice streets but the traffic is pretty terrible. It is expensive to live but isn't as nice as Paddington or other smart suburbs. I feel that it is overrated. A lot of the nicer houses on the hill look onto the main roads.

The shopping centre really isn't all that (although there is a good second hand book shop). It is quite built up in parts. The station isn't very conveniently located - unless you are very close or enjoy a walk you have to cycle or drive to the station.

That is a very negative picture, and it isn't that bad! It's just that if I had the money to live in Paddington and similarly priced suburbs, I wouldn't be spending the money in Toowong.

Thanks - that's helpful. Maybe I just need to drive around when we get there and get a feel for places first before we narrow our search area down.

Living in the area I find the traffic the easiest of anywhere I have lived in Brisbane. The steep windy streets are actually a blessing as only the locals know the way through many of them and the smaller connecting suburban roads are often empty almost right to the edge of the city, even when the neighbouring arterials carrying people from further away suburbs are busy. The rat runners don't dare enter the maze, it's great :)

This is interesting... Do you live in Paddington yourself then? How do you rate life there?

Thanks. Lots of options to consider. I think I probably need to print off some kind of street map for each suburb, mark up the locations of the schools and then also mark up the where the bikeways are or the bus / trainlines. Then decide on which streets I'd consider living in within a certain radius. Sounds like end Nov would be a good time to come over, then we'd have almost 2 months to look for somewhere to rent before school starts and we need proof of address.

You need one of these http://www.exploreaustralia.net.au/Bookshop/Street-Directories/Capital-Cities/UBD-Gregorys-2016-Brisbane-Gold-Coast-and-Sunshine-Coast-Refidex-60th-edition My wife is not a map reader, she cannot use an A to Z map, but she loves these, doesn't even have to turn it sideways or upside down! and has no worries in going to new places.

If you move out of catchment while your child is in primary you may not get into the catchment high school though.

Yes, I see what you mean. I guess we'd need to consider that our son may end up in a high school that his primary school friends don't go to if we buy elsewhere after renting.

You need one of these http://www.exploreaustralia.net.au/Bookshop/Street-Directories/Capital-Cities/UBD-Gregorys-2016-Brisbane-Gold-Coast-and-Sunshine-Coast-Refidex-60th-edition My wife is not a map reader, she cannot use an A to Z map, but she loves these, doesn't even have to turn it sideways or upside down! and has no worries in going to new places.

Sounds like just what I need! Thank you. :-)