You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Petals

Bad Losers

By "few" I'm guessing that you mean Brits? Is London zero (Brit) unemployment rate? What does the above say about British working/under class mentality, or the welfare system? If immigrants can work and survive in those jobs, (and some send money home) then aren't questions raised/should be raised with regards to Brits' expectations of working life?

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for a decent living wage and conditions, but what is "decent"? London has imported migrants ever since they needed 'em to "drive" the transport system in the 60's.............if that still seems to be the case............that London needs migrants............or anywhere else in Britain for that matter, then the implications/ramifications are far beyond what the EU debate can solve...............and so one may/might say................feck Europe...........get your own house in order............I mean?..........if you had a domestic problem, you wouldn't call your neighbours in to solve it, would you?.............Wait a minut?, they (the Gov't of the time) did, and now 52% of the electorate have realised that it solved nothing

Kev....could we persuade you to come out of retirement to run for the position of PM?

By "few" I'm guessing that you mean Brits? Is London zero (Brit) unemployment rate? What does the above say about British working/under class mentality, or the welfare system? If immigrants can work and survive in those jobs, (and some send money home) then aren't questions raised/should be raised with regards to Brits' expectations of working life?

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for a decent living wage and conditions, but what is "decent"? London has imported migrants ever since they needed 'em to "drive" the transport system in the 60's.............if that still seems to be the case............that London needs migrants............or anywhere else in Britain for that matter, then the implications/ramifications are far beyond what the EU debate can solve...............and so one may/might say................feck Europe...........get your own house in order............I mean?..........if you had a domestic problem, you wouldn't call your neighbours in to solve it, would you?.............Wait a minut?, they (the Gov't of the time) did, and now 52% of the electorate have realised that it solved nothing

Over the past few years I have when going back to UK hired my car from Europcar, always served and dealt with at all levels of contact with them in London by what could only be determined as Brits. however the last time there was a very noticeable change to Eastern European staff.

I just have trouble working out as to exactly why, so suddenly these jobs were not wanted by the Brits?

Enjoying life in Queensland

Over the past few years I have when going back to UK hired my car from Europcar, always served and dealt with at all levels of contact with them in London by what could only be determined as Brits. however the last time there was a very noticeable change to Eastern European staff.

I just have trouble working out as to exactly why, so suddenly these jobs were not wanted by the Brits?

Yet the number of unemployed in London has not shot up which suggests that the East Europeans at Europcar or anywhere else are not stealing the jobs of Brits in London.

Many cleaning jobs and hospitality jobs in London are carried out almost entirely by immigrants. These are often, by their nature, minimum wage jobs. The conclusion is that the locals either don't want these jobs or do not work as hard as the immigrants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

I read in the paper this weekend that the Queensland government has requested that their trade emissary (not sure of his exact title) has being asked to remain in Britain a further year so as to continue his work with the EU and UK. Queensland exports to the UK alone is up some 18% in the last year to a value of $833 million.

Yet the number of unemployed in London has not shot up which suggests that the East Europeans at Europcar or anywhere else are not stealing the jobs of Brits in London.

Many cleaning jobs and hospitality jobs in London are carried out almost entirely by immigrants. These are often, by their nature, minimum wage jobs. The conclusion is that the locals either don't want these jobs or do not work as hard as the immigrants.

But can you explain as to why these jobs at Europcar suddenly did not want to be done by Brits? I would suspect it was more of a case of Europcar cutting wage costs! I would also argue that the employment rates would have improved had not the Eastern Europeans not taken these jobs.

But can you explain as to why these jobs at Europcar suddenly did not want to be done by Brits? I would suspect it was more of a case of Europcar cutting wage costs! I would also argue that the employment rates would have improved had not the Eastern Europeans not taken these jobs.

I don't doubt it. Employers always trying to cut costs. Car hire is a very competitive market and customers almost always want the cheapest without ever considering that cheap normally means someone, somewhere is probably being exploited.

Who knows about jobless rates. Plenty of jobs always in London but many of them not that appealing I must admit. Face it that many long term unemployed Brits are virtually unemployable.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

I don't doubt it. Employers always trying to cut costs. Car hire is a very competitive market and customers almost always want the cheapest without ever considering that cheap normally means someone, somewhere is probably being exploited.

Who knows about jobless rates. Plenty of jobs always in London but many of them not that appealing I must admit. Face it that many long term unemployed Brits are virtually unemployable.

So you agree that it is not always a case of Brits not wanting to do the work, more like being pushed-out!

I would agree, but I would not confine that to just Brits, though we are not really talking about them but more on those willing to work

So you agree that it is not always a case of Brits not wanting to do the work, more like being pushed-out!

I would agree, but I would not confine that to just Brits, though we are not really talking about them but more on those willing to work

It's a competitive world out there for jobs and everything else I'm afraid. We all have to justify our value one way or the other. Protecting British workers against that reality is not going to help them or the country in the long run. Many businesses are free to move wherever in the world they can be most competitive (obviously this excludes certain service jobs like Europcar in your example) so shutting the door to workers could result in businesses setting up somewhere where they can more easily employ them.

Hi unemployment rate hit 5% which is often considered full employment

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/unemployment-rate

It's a competitive world out there for jobs and everything else I'm afraid. We all have to justify our value one way or the other. Protecting British workers against that reality is not going to help them or the country in the long run. Many businesses are free to move wherever in the world they can be most competitive (obviously this excludes certain service jobs like Europcar in your example) so shutting the door to workers could result in businesses setting up somewhere where they can more easily employ them.

So it is not lazy Brits then but the competitive market!

And your point is.......? Are you saying there is no such thing as a lazy Brit?

And your point is.......? Are you saying there is no such thing as a lazy Brit?

Read back through the posts and you should get an idea of my point!

Well it could be even better

It takes my company about three months to hire someone. Many companies are similar.

The final three types of unemployment can exist in situations in which full employment also exists. Structural unemployment arises outside of the business cycle when there is a skills gap. This unemployment occurs when there are jobs available but the unemployed population does not have the knowledge or skill level to perform the required tasks. Technology is a leading cause of structural unemployment.

Frictional unemployment represents the amount of unemployment that results from workers who are in between jobs, but are still in the labor force. Many economists have estimated that the average amount of frictional unemployment in the United States ranges from 2 to 7%.

Finally, voluntary employment occurs when a person makes a conscious decision to remain unemployed. This happens when there are jobs available but a worker cannot find a job of his or her specific choice.

Read more: Full Employment Definition | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fullemployment.asp#ixzz4DPWGh6Ks

Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

Would you consider it full employment if you were one of the 5% unemployed ?

If I was going through the process of applying for a job, and I was going to get that job, I would still be classed as unemployment, and yes, i would consider it full employment. It's an economic concept, not a state of mind.

Read back through the posts and you should get an idea of my point!

Not really. Brits should be able to compete well for jobs requiring their native tongue over Eastern European workers. The immigrants obviously want the work more.

I still find it amusing that many of those who support free markets, and think it is quite right for Australia to close down their inefficient auto industry, also oppose a free labour market. How many people think we should subsidise our labour market, but not pay millions propping up poor industry? I understand opposition to Europe on many levels, as it can be grossly inefficient, but movement of labour is a free market concept.

The other thing that annoys me is everyone who champions the Australian system and then moans about how inefficient it is. All the tradies who have to retrain when they have more than adequate skills, people being brought in for jobs when there are already high levels of unemployment in that industry whilst other industries are short. A basic lack of understanding of what a type of job is for certain industry. Not to mention the miss treatment of 457.

Not really. Brits should be able to compete well for jobs requiring their native tongue over Eastern European workers. The immigrants obviously want the work more.

Brits already had jobs there and for several years thus proving they wanted to work and it was not below them to do such a job, it would, on the face of it, appear that they were pushed out of the jobs also what we do not know is if these jobs were even tried to be re-negotiated to those already employed or even offered to the open labour market or if they went or approached to/by some eastern European labour agent?. I would say that it is not for keeping costs down to be competitive but more for increasing profits.

The other thing that annoys me is everyone who champions the Australian system and then moans about how inefficient it is. All the tradies who have to retrain when they have more than adequate skills, people being brought in for jobs when there are already high levels of unemployment in that industry whilst other industries are short. A basic lack of understanding of what a type of job is for certain industry. Not to mention the miss treatment of 457.

As Tebbit once said "get on your bike" he was of course referring to Brits moving about the UK to where the work was. I think the same should still apply for Brits and Brit jobs first.

Australia does not have the whole of Asia freely walking in to take jobs, there are visa processes to go through first.

The UK cut many inefficient industries back too, textile, clothing, coal and steel come to mind, a lot of these workers retrained and got work in other industries and area's of the UK, no freedom of labour across borders needed then and the UK survived.

You get annoyed too much too!............................. now "breathe":wink:

Brits already had jobs there and for several years thus proving they wanted to work and it was not below them to do such a job, it would, on the face of it, appear that they were pushed out of the jobs also what we do not know is if these jobs were even tried to be re-negotiated to those already employed or even offered to the open labour market or if they went or approached to/by some eastern European labour agent?. I would say that it is not for keeping costs down to be competitive but more for increasing profits.

so - which bits were caused by migrants?

Export Data API Access

united-kingdom-unemployment-rate.png?s=ukueilor&v=201607011427n&d1=19160101&d2=20161231