School report?

DeniDeni

I am writing to my son's school this week to let them know he will not be returning after the summer holiday. Do I need to ask them for any school reports to take over? He's just finishing year 7 in the UK so will be going into year 5 when we arrive in September.

Just take the ones you've received as a matter of course. The receiving school will smile politely and make their own assessments, they're used to not getting any transfer of information especially if a child has moved in from interstate. If otoh you have a child with a disability bring every report, assessment and plan that has ever been written.

We didn't worry about it tbh. We didn't even use the previous school reports when he began at new schools once in Aus. We filled in a questionnaire type sheet that asked about our child, some general info, what makes them tick and so on but for the rest, nothing.

Ok great, thank you.

He doesn't have a disability in an academic sense, he's pretty clever. But he does have Aspergers and struggles socially.

You are probably better placed to fill his new school in on those aspects. I'd not leave it to a school report.

Have you done your research into the area you plan to move to and possible schools? I ask as support in schools can vary greatly. Its far from the levels that there seems to be in the UK, least what I have experienced and seen during my school tours and so on. And from talking to other parents.

Edited by Guest
eta

We have a daughter with Asperger's (she's in year 5). Take any info about the Asperger's diagnosis with you for the school. I would also make an appointment to see his current teacher and ask him/her to write a letter just detailing any provisions/extra help etc that have to be made/given in the classroom/at school and also any areas in which he excels. This should help his new teacher in establishing his new routine, place him in academic extension classes and so on. I would just also bring any written reports that you have.

I will say that it may be wise to look around a few schools before you settle on one and take a rental. Our daughter was already at school when she was diagnosed, and luckily her school have been fantastic with her. However, a friend of mine has a son with Asperger's and has been looking around schools in our area. She isn't happy with the school that he is zoned for and has had a couple of unpleasant experiences when talking to the school about her son. However, our school and one other in the area are great, but of course she has to hope that one of them take him as an out of area student.

We are just about to enrol our two into high school in WA, the school have asked for the past two school reports which I have had to ask their old school to email over as I only brought the last one.

Id bring as much as possible just in case.

I am writing to my son's school this week to let them know he will not be returning after the summer holiday. Do I need to ask them for any school reports to take over? He's just finishing year 7 in the UK so will be going into year 5 when we arrive in September.

hi, I am a Chinsese who wants to migrant to Australia, I am curious, why do you British people also want to move to Australia? in the Chinese point of view, Both UK and AU provide good benefit and high quality of education.

Just by way of note. Aspegers is no longer recognised in The DSM-5 as an official diagnosis. It now falls under the title of ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) which IMHO, is a much better "umbrella". Kids dx'd as "Aspergers" were often expected to perform better academically than those dx'd as ASD and to have intense interests at which they excelled, which wasn't/isn't always the case. Because of this, they could be viewed as under performing or being "difficult" by those not fully versed in their individual/personal traits, when in fact, too much was expected of them when comparing them to what would be expected of those labelled Autistic.

Some days they perform better or worse than others, influenced by stimulus or distraction, and in some cases, those "intense interests/knowledge" that epitomise Aspergers may fall by the wayside or are replaced with different interests later. The diagnosis is invariably handed out in a child's early years and nobody, even so-called experts, can accurately predict how a child may perform later. The new criteria is a much better outcome IMHO as all autistic children will be treated equally and more emphasis placed on their skills/shortcomings as being due to the individual's characteristics as opposed to their classification. Autistic is autistic, period! I have always viewed my son as ASD despite his dx of Aspergers and the emphasis that the latter criteria of this particular diagnosis placed on his abilities.

You will do well to present your child to the school as ASD, not Aspergers as this is the formal diagnosis now recognised.