Australian House Prices

menb

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, you sure are a little ray of sunshine. Much negativity and generalizations for your first post. I did read the article. I don't see the problem. What's wrong with Chinese families who have the financial means coming here seeking a better life for their kids? Also there is still plenty of affordable housing. Young homebuyers can't expect to be able to afford a premium property in the inner suburbs.

6 weeks since the OP and not one response or a "like". Sometimes i wonder if these sorts of threads are just to score hits on the web sites posted?

I think they're the "adult" :rolleyes: version of the 3 year old having their wishes thwarted, storming out shouting "I hate you all!" :wink: Not interested in reason or responses

I do realise that Tasmanian house prices are far lower than a lot of places on the mainland but a friend has just moved into a lovely new house - double glazed, well insulated top of the range bathroom and kitchen for $350,000. Not bad I thought.

If that is close to the city, then it sounds a good price.

You can do the same in a country town on the mainland too.

You've been trotting on about affordability (or lack of it), bubbles bursting et etc for years now Flag and we're still waiting. Never mind, the capitalist cycle will rescue you and likely kick in sooner or later, and then you can have the pleasure of saying, "I told you so"

I'm trotting nothing as you appear to like to refer to it. It is a reality. Affordability is a serious issue in Australia. Among the worst in the developed world. No waiting required. The disquiet among large segments of the population is all too obvious. Generational conflict ever growing. The wealth increasing in the hands of the ageing, though age poverty, is real and also a concern.

Just because you don't remain in the loop and produce the tired old cliché of cycles and kicking in that some stage, ignores completely the reality on the ground, not to say affordability issues as a whole. But you are indirectly right. The worse is yet to come.

If that is close to the city, then it sounds a good price.

You can do the same in a country town on the mainland too.

No it's not close to Launceston or Hobart. It's in little old Devonport - close to all amenities but in a nice quiet area. The main thing is, it's a quality build not one of those houses built quickly and cheaply. Admittedly it doesn't have a garden - it has a very nice court yard at the back and a bit of landscaping at the front but then she didn't want a garden anymore.

6 weeks since the OP and not one response or a "like". Sometimes i wonder if these sorts of threads are just to score hits on the web sites posted?
Odd you say that. I counted two likes for the OP and I just added a third, as it appears likes are all important to you, rather than the reality. We do live in a time of populist entertainment not to say politics though, so little else should be expected in one sense for those hoping for a little more.

No it's not close to Launceston or Hobart. It's in little old Devonport - close to all amenities but in a nice quiet area. The main thing is, it's a quality build not one of those houses built quickly and cheaply. Admittedly it doesn't have a garden - it has a very nice court yard at the back and a bit of landscaping at the front but then she didn't want a garden anymore.

Certain areas of Tasmania has witnessed rather substantial growth. I am unaware if foreign investors or mainlanders buying into cheaper property than found on shore, as have not researched the growth yet, but I believe 7% rises in choice areas of Hobart for example.

Tasmania remains blighted by rather high unemployment, so it would be interesting to discover whom exactly the buyers are.

Gee, you sure are a little ray of sunshine. Much negativity and generalizations for your first post. I did read the article. I don't see the problem. What's wrong with Chinese families who have the financial means coming here seeking a better life for their kids? Also there is still plenty of affordable housing. Young homebuyers can't expect to be able to afford a premium property in the inner suburbs.

Well not exactly. Chinese overseas investment is indeed impacting the market. Especially in Australia's two major cities, but increasingly in Brisbane and some interest I believe in Surfers.

You really need to consider the implications of what the result is with regards to foreigners buying real estate. Vancouver (Canada) has just raised the tax to 15% additional on overseas buyers to arrest in part what has happened there. The Real Estate industry were up in arms when a less impost was suggested here in OZ. Instead the government is making it even easier for foreigners to purchase if children attend primary school here.

Nothing to do with migrant families unless they attempt to curtail weak existing regulations, and purchase for off shore residents in their name.

Of course the escalating price of Australian real estate together with serious affordability issues is an issue for many living in Australia. Not to say the feasibility of living in cities.

Those of a certain age (usually) in glee at ever growing house prices, may well be better looki9ng at a vastly bigger picture.

Certain areas of Tasmania has witnessed rather substantial growth. I am unaware if foreign investors or mainlanders buying into cheaper property than found on shore, as have not researched the growth yet, but I believe 7% rises in choice areas of Hobart for example.

Tasmania remains blighted by rather high unemployment, so it would be interesting to discover whom exactly the buyers are.

Younger folk with jobs are buying their own homes - at least round about Devonport. You are correct about high unemployment here - many of our young locals who can't find a job move to the mainland for work and successfully find jobs there. My neighbours' kids are all doing well in Sydney and Queensland. Plenty of people - especially originally from the UK - retire to Tasmania. They don't mind the colder weather and of course many of them want a house on an acre or two of land and it is far cheaper to do that here.

Younger folk with jobs are buying their own homes - at least round about Devonport. You are correct about high unemployment here - many of our young locals who can't find a job move to the mainland for work and successfully find jobs there. My neighbours' kids are all doing well in Sydney and Queensland. Plenty of people - especially originally from the UK - retire to Tasmania. They don't mind the colder weather and of course many of them want a house on an acre or two of land and it is far cheaper to do that here.

Tasmania is a major centre for refugee settlement as well. In per cent terms per population above other states. There have been attempts to encourage much more settlement from Asia. No idea what happened to the Korea Town urban concept for Hobart. Seems to have died a silent death.

good luck dealing with tradespeople.

Well I would do my own electrical. I'm obviously not familiar with the system over there, but my experience is that tradesmen treat other other tradesmen with respect and don't try to screw them over.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

What's your point? Australia has social housing as well. In the Netherlands you will not get a social rental if you earn over roughly 35K annually (as a family, figure from the top of my head, cba looking the exact up).

The tennant protection is great, albeit a bit OTT. If you once in the '70s agreed upon a 100/month rent, chances are you're still not paying much more and who ever owns the property has no way to adapt or boot you. That's wrong. And it's also wrong that in the Amsterdam city ring you can't afford to buy anywhere under 5k p sqm, but, if you have patient and fit the social housing profile, you can rent for as little as 400/mnt. Unfair.

Australia is exy, which is fine. Just wondering wether it can sustain the prices with so much land still available.

My point being Netherlands has options more accessible than Australian alternatives at a broad stroke. As I said one can live in a perfectly serviceable city with excellent connections to hub centres like Amsterdam. Actually I rather like the changes that occurred in Rotterdam over the years and last time there appreciated the ' soul' apparent in the city.

I consider the renting option that avails itself, not just in The Netherlands, but Europe generally, as a far better option than present in Australia. And yes do rent out properties in Europe.

Yes I have witnessed the changes to Amsterdam city over the years. Lived and worked for a time very close to The Dam. It certainly wouldn't be an option presenting itself in more recent years.

No reason of course why Australian cities should follow such a course. Living in the outskirts of Australian cities, owing to cost factors, is full of a host of issues worthy of consideration. I'd personally question the value of relocation (personally) from a European environment and doing okay, if it was me, but we are all different. We do need to look at the reality beyond the rainbow though and arrive at own conclusions.

Well I would do my own electrical. I'm obviously not familiar with the system over there, but my experience is that tradesmen treat other other tradesmen with respect and don't try to screw them over.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Well I'm not a tradesperson but have had reason to dealing with numerous trades over the past months. A taxing experience at times, but I agree from observation they tend not to screw each other. Plenty members of the public to do that to. Not saying all at bad either. Had to fortune to deal with a few gems as well.

Well not exactly. Chinese overseas investment is indeed impacting the market. Especially in Australia's two major cities, but increasingly in Brisbane and some interest I believe in Surfers.

You really need to consider the implications of what the result is with regards to foreigners buying real estate. Vancouver (Canada) has just raised the tax to 15% additional on overseas buyers to arrest in part what has happened there. The Real Estate industry were up in arms when a less impost was suggested here in OZ. Instead the government is making it even easier for foreigners to purchase if children attend primary school here.

Nothing to do with migrant families unless they attempt to curtail weak existing regulations, and purchase for off shore residents in their name.

Of course the escalating price of Australian real estate together with serious affordability issues is an issue for many living in Australia. Not to say the feasibility of living in cities.

Those of a certain age (usually) in glee at ever growing house prices, may well be better looki9ng at a vastly bigger picture.

Another dig at "those of a certain age". I am of a certain age, have had good jobs and made money on property and am shortly moving to

australia to be near my family. I will not be able to buy in the suburb of my choice because I will simply not be able to afford it. Any more than I could afford to live in central London, or vast swathes of S.E. England. But I wouldn't be stupid enough to look there in the first place. I'm going to take my millions to an area I can afford. Yes, affordability is a problem but it's not an exclusively Australian one. If I had a gripe about Australian house buying it would be that the authorities don't uphold their own laws - so although officially non-residents are only allowed to buy new property, it seems that few checks are made. There is also a stipulation that only a certain percentage of a new development may be sold to non-resident buyers but again, is this rule policed properly.

Some real choice clients as well works both ways, don't need luck with a tradesman do your research ask for references

Internet is full of so called references. Easily inflated, unreal pronouncements. Obviously it works both ways, but many consider themselves a species unique, charging akin to dentists. Shame the Polish plumber syndrome doesn't offer an alternative out here. Although perhaps not long before the Chinese/Indian/Korean/Pilipino/etc workers put in a greater appearance. Already had a Chinese plumber last week, to replace a part in an expensive, just purchased mixer/tap. I have his card and he claims to be able to connect with a host of trade personal.

Internet is full of so called references. Easily inflated, unreal pronouncements. Obviously it works both ways, but many consider themselves a species unique, charging akin to dentists. Shame the Polish plumber syndrome doesn't offer an alternative out here. Although perhaps not long before the Chinese/Indian/Korean/Pilipino/etc workers put in a greater appearance. Already had a Chinese plumber last week, to replace a part in an expensive, just purchased mixer/tap. I have his card and he claims to be able to connect with a host of trade personal.

We had our house in Sydney painted inside and out by a couple of Chinese painters/decorators. The were recommended by friends and they did a top class job for a good price and they were so neat and tidy throughout the whole job they did.

Another dig at "those of a certain age". I am of a certain age, have had good jobs and made money on property and am shortly moving to

australia to be near my family. I will not be able to buy in the suburb of my choice because I will simply not be able to afford it. Any more than I could afford to live in central London, or vast swathes of S.E. England. But I wouldn't be stupid enough to look there in the first place. I'm going to take my millions to an area I can afford. Yes, affordability is a problem but it's not an exclusively Australian one. If I had a gripe about Australian house buying it would be that the authorities don't uphold their own laws - so although officially non-residents are only allowed to buy new property, it seems that few checks are made. There is also a stipulation that only a certain percentage of a new development may be sold to non-resident buyers but again, is this rule policed properly.

The ' dig' at a certain age, is solely due to this group, in appearance at least, not being over bothered by escalating house inflation, due to the fact they have done very well, thank you very much. I feel for the young whom have been largely sold out by their country.

Australia was never a land to compare with London nor the South of England until recent times. Real estate was affordable to most, with only a few choice localities out of reach of an average earning working class household.

Australia is indeed lapse at enforcing laws around foreign buying of local property. As I have written previously, it is making it easier with permitting the purchasing of a house on a primary school visa, where a parent is in attendance. The Reality market has massive influence as does the banks, where home loans are their bread and butter, easy money for them and won't be loathe any government that attempts to correct the heavily listing apple cart. Obviously many won't want to hear otherwise until the load has shed its cargo. Looks still awhile to wait so enjoy.

We had our house in Sydney painted inside and out by a couple of Chinese painters/decorators. The were recommended by friends and they did a top class job for a good price and they were so neat and tidy throughout the whole job they did.

Yep. I'm inclined to go in that direction now. Having loads of problems with a bloated Aussie tradesman at the moment who feels he under quoted me on quite a big job, and is incredibly hard to pin down.