Australian House Prices

menb

I thought the Australian house buying situation was bad but it's going to get worse courtesy of a new Australian visa type coming into force on July 1st. Trying to find a house in a catchment area of a good state school is challenging to say the least as it is now but it's going to get worse.

For those unfamiliar with the house buying in Australia most house viewing inspections take place on Saturday. I've spent over a year looking for a place. I'm not picky but the quality of Australian housing is appalling with the vast majority of houses being wooden structures with a thin veneer of brick cladding. No central heating (it gets cold in Melbourne in the winter), no double glazing (it is definitely needed in Melbourne) and no city wall insulation. I also doubt they are built on concrete foundations as I have seen the most unbelievable cracks and patch jobs that are clearly structural and most likely caused by movement and in new builds as well. A freshly rendered house always makes the alarm bells ring as I'm sure they're hiding cracks. If that isn't bad enough under-quoting is rife. I've asked several agents, "what does it mean when the price says 600+" and the answer is "the + means + 10%"! So you spend time looking at houses, visit them on your day off and then they're clearly out of your range. Add into the the stamp duty costs here, stamp duty on a 600K place (which doesn't get you much here now) is a whopping $32,553 or over 16K GBP. The housing situation here is REALLY bad.

It's going to get even worse as a result of the following visa coming into effect in July:

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/06/turnbull-opens-new-student-migration-scam-floodgate/

I feel fortunate to be able to return to raise my kids in the UK because I wan't my little girl and boy to have a bedroom of their own like I had but that's just not possible here. Yes, you can get work but housing is out of reach unless you are willing to take on a big mortgage debt and frankly it's just not worth it.

What do other people think about housing here?

Australia touts itself as being "Family friendly" but how can that be the case if home ownership is out of reach for migrant families that don't have boomer parents to help them out? It's hard enough migrating to another country and made harder by not being able to put down roots. Honestly, having lived here for several years now it's quite clear to me that migration is big business here. I don't think it's intended for most of us to settle, as long as we drop cash on the way in and way out then Australia seems to be happy with that. If there's one thing Australia excels at it's marketing. The brochures (and stats) look great but the reality of life here is quite a different matter.

And to think that Melbourne is the most liveable city. I can only attribute that to some dishonesty. It all makes sense now. Why do they keep banging out about "integrity" here, it's clear now, because this is a nation built on lies.

If one word encapsulates Australia it's this:

FACADE.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Australian house buying situation was bad but it's going to get worse courtesy of a new Australian visa type coming into force on July 1st. Trying to find a house in a catchment area of a good state school is challenging to say the least as it is now but it's going to get worse.

For those unfamiliar with the house buying in Australia most house viewing inspections take place on Saturday. I've spent over a year looking for a place. I'm not picky but the quality of Australian housing is appalling with the vast majority of houses being wooden structures with a thin veneer of brick cladding. No central heating (it gets cold in Melbourne in the winter), no double glazing (it is definitely needed in Melbourne) and no city wall insulation. I also doubt they are built on concrete foundations as I have seen the most unbelievable cracks and patch jobs that are clearly structural and most likely caused by movement and in new builds as well. A freshly rendered house always makes the alarm bells ring as I'm sure they're hiding cracks. If that isn't bad enough under-quoting is rife. I've asked several agents, "what does it mean when the price says 600+" and the answer is "the + means + 10%"! So you spend time looking at houses, visit them on your day off and then they're clearly out of your range. Add into the the stamp duty costs here, stamp duty on a 600K place (which doesn't get you much here now) is a whopping $32,553 or over 16K GBP. The housing situation here is REALLY bad.

It's going to get even worse as a result of the following visa coming into effect in July:

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/06/turnbull-opens-new-student-migration-scam-floodgate/

I feel fortunate to be able to return to raise my kids in the UK because I wan't my little girl and boy to have a bedroom of their own like I had but that's just not possible here. Yes, you can get work but housing is out of reach unless you are willing to take on a big mortgage debt and frankly it's just not worth it.

Australia touts itself as being "Family friendly" but how can that be the case if home ownership is out of reach for migrant families that don't have boomer parents to help them out? It's hard enough migrating to another country and made harder by not being able to put down roots. Honestly, having lived here for several years now it's quite clear to me that migration is big business here. I don't think it's intended for most of us to settle, as long as we drop cash on the way in and way out then Australia seems to be happy with that. If there's one thing Australia excels at it's marketing. The brochures (and stats) look great but the reality of life here is quite a different matter.

And to think that Melbourne is the most liveable city. I can only attribute that to some dishonesty. It all makes sense now. Why do they keep banging out about "integrity" here, it's clear now, because this is a nation built on lies.

FACADE.

I agree with a lot of what you say about the quality of housing and I blame local councils for not having far stricter building regs.

Fortunately for us we haven't lived in a cold, uncomfortable house here but I certainly know there are plenty of them around. Here in Tasmania, a lot of new houses have double glazing and a local plumber does instal central heating - with radiators - same as UK. Hopefully that will become the norm.

With regard to the cost of migrating - until I joined this forum, I had no idea how expensive it is. Cost me peanuts donkeys years ago. Seems like a bit of a rip-off now.

Sorry your experience here has been so negative. Good luck with your move back to the UK.

I'm just clarifying this for people who may have been completely scared off.....

The median house price in Melbourne is around $700,000. That means that half of the houses sold in Melbourne cost less than that. Yes, houses in Melbourne are very expensive and it is a very difficult market to move into if you do not bring a lot of equity with you, or as you say, have a cashed up relative to help you out.

I think it is important that new arrivals look into the cost of housing near any job that they apply for. This is difficult for people arriving on 457 visas in particular who are tied to an area but may find they face a long commute to affordable housing.

There are thousands of houses for sale in Melbourne and surrounds built on concrete slabs with central heating (and air conditioning). However, many of them are further out from the CBD and for whatever reason obviously have not worked for your circumstances.

Good luck with the move back. You will certainly feel cosier in winter by the sound of it.

If comparing everything to UK then you will then most likely end up disappointed on most things. The Australian way of building is just that and that what is most Australians accept as their norm, but no doubt they could/would complain about the poor quality of housing in some other countries too.

Sorry it has not worked out for you, but it has worked and will continue to do so for many migrants. Not sure how you can claim 'boomer' assistance as the only way? I am just not understanding of this boomer thing, with so many thinking boomers are rich and they have money to give away left right and centre. Hard work and prudent life choices help produce results.

Guest Dave53
Even an ugly 4 bed house in Swindon is in the GBP 300,000 upwards range. Unaffordability is everywhere I'm afraid.

Yes , but your butt ugly 4 bedder in Swindon will still be standing in another 50 years , unlike your brick shed in Oz , which will probably be eaten away by termites or blown away long time since .

Dave C

Yes , but your butt ugly 4 bedder in Swindon will still be standing in another 50 years , unlike your brick shed in Oz , which will probably be eaten away by termites or blown away long time since .

Dave C

There are many classic timber homes still standing in Australia longer than 50 years, and are sought after too.

You can always design and build your own house to your own specifications if you wish.

That's what I did and the darn thing was difficult to sell, folk did not want to take on something out of the norm thought it was all not needed and too much responsibility:wacko:. Laminated glass in the windows! why? glass is glass isn't it? underfloor heating! why do you need that? etc etc. twin, zoned ducted air systems! cost me twice as much to run won't they?:confused:

Dave C

Rubbish. I've lived in 17 different houses in Oz - 13 of them built between 1850 and 1956...and all still standing very solidly, thank you.

I'm not picky but the quality of Australian housing is appalling with the vast majority of houses being wooden structures with a thin veneer of brick cladding. No central heating (it gets cold in Melbourne in the winter), no double glazing (it is definitely needed in Melbourne) and no city wall insulation

FACADE.

Maybe you should change this description from Australian Housing to new builds in Melbourne, all brick walls inside and out(double brick outside) in my house in Perth!

I have a new house that most definitely was built on a concrete slab (we built it ourselves) and it has cracks in the pasterboard in the walls and the ceiling. Quite big ones in places too. We had a new house in the UK at one point and that got cracks in the walls as well. It's all to do with the ground settling and depends a lot on the type of soil you are building on. Our house also has double glazing (UPVc as well, not your rubbish aluminium framed things), insulation in the walls reverse cycle heating/cooling. The insulation came as standard in the build, although we did upgrade it. It's a different country with a different way of doing things.

I have a new house that most definitely was built on a concrete slab (we built it ourselves) and it has cracks in the pasterboard in the walls and the ceiling. Quite big ones in places too. We had a new house in the UK at one point and that got cracks in the walls as well. It's all to do with the ground settling and depends a lot on the type of soil you are building on. Our house also has double glazing (UPVc as well, not your rubbish aluminium framed things), insulation in the walls reverse cycle heating/cooling. The insulation came as standard in the build, although we did upgrade it. It's a different country with a different way of doing things.

Clay moves. Fact of life.

Rubbish. I've lived in 17 different houses in Oz - 13 of them built between 1850 and 1956...and all still standing very solidly, thank you.

The older homes tended to be built much more solidly. You can build with lighter materials as long as you insulate. But they should double glaze to cut down noise, improve heating and improve cooling.

You can always design and build your own house to your own specifications if you wish.

We did but some things such as double glazing were just not viable - it is still beyond my comprehension that double glazing isn't the norm but to get in the house we build was going to cost an additional $40,000. We had it installed in a UK house around that time and it cost under £3k (albeit a slightly smaller house).

Other things didn't cost much, such as additional insulation but we had to become very knowledgeable about R-ratings etc. and our builder thought we were nuts as they were used to building to minimum standards to meet building codes and couldn't understand why we would want to spend more than we had to.

I'm surprised that a first time poster who didn't even introduce themselves, and who posted nothing but negatives, even got a response. Termites oz? rising damp and dry rot UK etc etc............and in reality, I reckon you've more chance of the latter in the Uk than you have of the former in Oz if you have annual pest inspections, or are clued up to do it yourself. No foundations? To the best of my knowledge most houses are built on slabs. Rendering? WTF is that? Only ever saw it once here in Qld and lets be honest a lot of "rendering" in the UK was purely aesthetic to hide shlte/decaying pointing so no different to what you assume is the norm in Oz

If you want double glazing/central heating, then pay for it, otherwise, move to warmer climes or back to the UK (as you are doing)...........Australia is not the UK with knobs on. It is what it is.............but then again? you did your research before coming didn't you?:wacko:

Edited by Johndoe

FACADE.

Oh rubbish. I didn't have parents to help me out.

I am a single parent and I have built a house, it took hard work, but I did it. I am in a great catchment area for schools and I live within my means, which means it may not be the biggest house on the block, but it's bloody nice. Before I built I rented and always managed to find a house in the area I wanted.

What a negative and inaccurate post.

Well in fairness to the OP affordability has fallen off a cliff. Having said that the link they provided was a poor, slightly hysterical post on the visa thing and they only referenced their own situation in Melbourne. Outside of Melbourne and Sydney affordability is probably not too bad. Some constraints on negative gearing would be most welcome though

FACADE.

Geez. Sorry you aren't happy but I wonder if you would be happy with anything at all in life. Do you think negative thoughts about everything? I think if you try to think positive and don't look for negatives in life you'll find a happier time.

We are moving from Essex to the Central Coast NSW. House prices are very similar, the difference is I get to live near the beach which I could never afford a similar house in the UK. I'm originally from the north of England so if I compare house prices in the north to house prices in Sydney for example then yes it is very expensive so I think it all depends where you have come from. Renting wise, we are currently living in a 2 bed in an ok area, we can rent on the CC for a tiny bit more but get a 3/4 bed near the beach so its a no brainer!

I think that housing has always been hard to access for those people who have no family or inherited wealth, wherever we live. I also think that peoples expectations these days are unrealistic. I mean now we have threatre rooms, butlers kitchens. I have a friend and every bedroom has an ensuite. What is that about. We need a house with the right amount of rooms, the more land the better as this is the basis for growth in real estate. The houses that were built in the fifties and sixties were often double brick just like the UK. The seventies brought in Brick Veneer to make housing cheaper and it achieved that aim. Insulation became compulsory in the eighties and now houses have to be insulated etc here. The problem here is double storey houses heat up in summer so they are not really suitable unless one has deep pockets for power.

Our house is built on a raft slab with verandas all the way around which is the ideal Aus house. Keeps warm in winter and cool in summer. Steel roofs are the go as well as they cool down quickly in summer. When we feel cold or hot we immediately blame the house, its the climate we should blame and lets face it a good part of the year here in Melbourne is ideal weather.

I have friends who have lost quite a bit of cash moving back to another country as they felt nostalgic only to find it was just as expensive and they no longer fitted in. They have returned and now they have to find a house to live in. Their expectations are not in line with their budget as they sold a very nice house here and its not possible for them to buy another the same.

Lower your sites, look at the street, see what the street is like, buy a dump do it up and sell it on lots make money that way. Just depends what we are prepared to do. We can all succeed it just takes effort and does not fall in our laps.

What A great Letter,You Should Be Congratulated. Most Migrants From The UK .Think Australian Houses are so wonderful,With sea views and a olympic swimming pool. That's what most write about on here. Just Been Reading a blog from a couple in Perth.the have a Huge House On the Beach,And 2 investment Properties. They are Both Nurses,and have been here 2 years.