Must-read - The Road to Little Dribbling

Marisawright

Serious question here but why do you hold onto a memory that is so grossly inaccurate ? I think it is some sort of coping mechanism perhaps, imagine your old country in an incredibly exaggerated negative way and it makes your new life seem even better. We saw it with a friend who immigrated to Australia and he would constantly say 'Well you can't do that in the UK' and we would often say well we have done it but it goes down very well with Aussies if you are overly negative about the UK.

Whilst laid up in a hospital bed yesterday channel hopping came across Dr Phil, only watched it until the first adverts but what he said did make an impression (easily impressed I am!) he told the woman that she has these pre conceived ideals/expectations which she carries around like baggage, you get up in the morning pick up your bags and off you go, you put them down whilst you do something and then pick them up and off to the next, then pick them up again and keep this up all day and every day, you cannot seem to let go of that baggage.

I am not saying Starlight is like that just the principle that quite a few of us have some form of baggage we cannot let go of or even be persuaded to let go of.

Whilst laid up in a hospital bed yesterday channel hopping came across Dr Phil, only watched it until the first adverts but what he said did make an impression (easily impressed I am!) he told the woman that she has these pre conceived ideals/expectations which she carries around like baggage, you get up in the morning pick up your bags and off you go, you put them down whilst you do something and then pick them up and off to the next, then pick them up again and keep this up all day and every day, you cannot seem to let go of that baggage.

I am not saying Starlight is like that just the principle that quite a few of us have some form of baggage we cannot let go of or even be persuaded to let go of.

Some people simply can't let go of baggage no matter what.

Hope all is OK with you after your trip to the hospital.

Some people simply can't let go of baggage no matter what.

Hope all is OK with you after your trip to the hospital.

All OK so far thanks Jock, just day surgery to cut a BCC out from below my eye, needed to be done before we set off on holiday thurs next week, as surgeon said should not wait until Jan when we get back. From seeing skin Dr to surgery only 12 days, cost me about $600 gap fee, did not want to wait to get it cheaper or for nothing..............happy with my choice and service, they even phoned me up today to check on how things were.

Guess I am one of those who still remembers Britain as cold and grey except for a brief and glorious 6 weeks ( in a good year)

Well Tha was a long time ago ....weather has certainly improved...warmest Halloween day in wales on record 22plus degrees ...driest start to autumn on record in the u.k

Maybe it has changed in the 14 years since I was last there but I doubt it. The only thing I do miss are those gorgeous historical buildings and gardens. I reckon it is probably worse than it was in 1970s because it was too crowded then.

The thing is the fact that you doubt it doesn't change anything, it isn't as you choose to remember whether you agree or not. We just had some friends over from Melbourne and they hate living there, the traffic is absolutely horrendous and in their words it's far too crowded.

Yes I think this is spot on.

Maybe it has changed in the 14 years since I was last there but I doubt it. The only thing I do miss are those gorgeous historical buildings and gardens. I reckon it is probably worse than it was in 1970s because it was too crowded then.

Like anywhere, it depends on where you chose to live.

If you chose a major city such as London, it will feel crowded. If you chose a little village like us, then it will feel very empty. In the area where I live, we have more cows than people, in fact, we probably have more of almost everything than people. On my drive to work, until I hit the motorway, I am more likely to see a badger than a person (I see badgers a lot in the country lanes just before sunrise).

I was in the garden last night and all I could hear was the odd cow still mooing and the owl hooting.

I have just been working in the highlands and that felt like I was VERY alone. Wonderful. Prior to that, I was in Whitby and staying in a little village just outside the town and very peaceful the Yorkshire countryside is as stunning and as empty as ever.

Nor should we necessary 'let it go'. We are products of our 'history'. That is what formed us and whom we are. It not letting go our other psychobabble, but accepting what makes us what we are and moving into the future complete with that knowledge.