Life in Busselton or Bunbury

theleggates

Hi folks,

New to the forum here but thought I would post to get some advice or thoughts on the Busselton area.

Myself, my wife, 3 year old daughter and 12 week old son are currently living in Scotland. We previously lived in Geraldton for 18 months but moved back to Scotland last October mainly for the fact we were having a second child and as it was only me working(car mechanic) and we were on a 457 visa we were eating in to our savings and had no family support to help with the baby when he arrived.

We have been back now for 9 months but we really miss the weather and lifestyle of australia so we are considering making the move back to Australia again sometime next year and moving for the long term. We really enjoyed Geraldton as the size of the place was ideal and we were right on the beach but the problem was how remote it was and also the crime rate was high with lots of break ins.

Ideally we would want to move somewhere thats not a large city, is right on the coast and is also not too isolated so you can nip away at the weekend and see plenty within a couple of hours drive. I was told by a few people while we were in Geraldton that busselton and Bunbury were nice areas so I have been looking in to them a bit and they sound and look like the kind of place that we are looking for and great to raise a family.

If anyone lives or has lived around these areas I would love to hear their opinions and if they think its a good area for raising a family. We have no interest in night life or the hustle and bustle of cities but at the same time we want to be able to be within a short enough drive to decent shopping, cinemas, restaurants etc. We are mainly interested in outdoor life, beaches, forests and play parks that the kids will enjoy.

You could even move much closer to Perth and have all the things you are looking for, better chance of a job and many more options for shopping, cinema, live music, things to do. You can be in a suburb close to gorgeous beaches, 40 minutes or so from Perth and within a 20 minute drive to the hills or the swan valley wine region. Lots of new suburbs opening up so a good selection of properties to check out.

Nothing wrong with Busselton or Bunbury, just a bit on the quite side and there would be less job opportunities.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input folks! I realise that the final decision as to where we move to will be most likely decided by the job I can find. I was also thinking about this for Busselton and Bunbury as I am currently working for a Mitsubishi dealership (I also worked for Mitsubishi and Mazda in Geraldton) as I know they both have Mitsubishi dealerships which would be my most likely chance of employment although it all depends on how busy they are and if they are looking for an experienced mechanic at the time.

I am also not sure as to which visa we would be planning to come on. When we lived in Geraldton it was on a 457 sponsored work visa but not sure what the visa options are now. Can we go straight for permanent residency (at a high cost I'm sure!) or is it still best to come over on a 457? The issue I had with getting mine is finding an employer who is willing to sponsor me especially when I'm not in the country. At least i have some experience working in Australia which Im sure would help.

Realistically it will not be till around this time next year but I thought I should do as much research in to the areas I would like to live and then start contacting employers with plenty of notice as I know visas can take a while

I would never recommend a 457 for a family as there are way too many risks.

Also, with one of your children approaching school age, you would be hit with the state fees for temporary visa holders. Though the biggest risk of course is that, as you know, it is tied to the employer and if you were to lose you job, you could find yourself having to leave. In the current economic climate in WA that is a major thing to think about.

I would look at the 189 and 190 visas. Yes, it is a fair bit of cash, but, a heck of a lot cheaper than finding yourself back in the UK. If you want to make the move next year, then I would recommend you start the process now. You would need to calculate your points first and then look at getting your skills assessment done and getting your English tests done if needed.

Yes I was thinking the 189 Visa would be most suitable. I did a quick visa eligibility assessment last night and my points score is high enough to be eligible for the 189 so I will look in to going down that route now as it may take some time.

Thanks again

Just one word of caution. Be very careful when calculating your points - an over claim can result in a refusal which means loss of the fee and a potential ban.

For example, if you claim points for English language, you need to prove that by taking the exams such as ILETS

I would probably lean towards Busselton but not much between them. As said earlier there are areas closer to Perth that could suit you. As a north of river resident Yanchep could be worth a look and your only 25 mins from Joondalup and other work options. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Bunbury more a working town, Busselton a holiday and retirement more inclined and smaller. BY has some reasonable by Australian conditions, priced housing. I've been tempted on a few occasions when comparing to metro prices. Both towns are beside the sea. BY has easier access to Perth with the train. I would personally prefer either option to Geraldton.

• 3 weeks later...