eu referendum update

bunbury61

The one particular "fact" I am trying to get my head around is the £350m per week net contribution. My understanding is that we get approx. 2/3rds back (in one form or another), so surely that number is factually incorrect??

Most will go to areas that aren't the natural patronage of the Tory right, and if you believe that this will go back into the NHS under the leadership of Boris, IDS and Gove then this would be laughable - this would translate into tax cuts for the rich. I am normally a Tory voter, but watching John Major on Andrew Marr at the weekend you could see his anger and upset at this particular misrepresentation, I find myself coming into this camp.

I have resigned from work to move to Australia, but I am very clear that my role would be moved out of the UK in the event of a Brexit, and indeed the recruitment of my replacement has been delayed until the end of June for "system reasons". I genuinely believe that the jobs created by leaving will not offset those that currently exist to service trade with the EU, but won't grab a number out of the air to support my position :wink:

I will be voting in - my children are British Citizens and am voting for their future if they wish to return to a great nation within the EU.

So you have personal experience of what I spoke, companies are already getting ready to leave the UK if the UK is out of the EU.

BRITAIN WE ARE IN THE LAST CHANCE SALOON ....ONE LAST CHANCE ...TIME TO LEAVE

Rather dramatic I think. Also if we do end up with the leave vote and it goes pear shaped the usual culprits will speak up saying nothing to do with them. Not happy with the EU membership at the moment?. then lets open the door the door and jump into the unknown and the darkness, it might just might be a bit better. couldnt be worse could it, er could it?

I've changed my mind half a dozen times.

After John major, I'm currently in the stay camp.

Don't trust Boris as far as I could throw him.

But I'm scared the leave may have the upper hand. It may depend on the weather on the day. Hot we leave, if it rains we stay. Undecided if it's overcast.

.....and the vote to remain is to continue with the ongoing and increasing chaos of the EU, the failing economies of many of its members, the inability of its leaders to address the migration crisis, the likelihood of other failing and poorer nations joining and the move towards greater political union etc etc.. Yes, we do know the future if we remain. If we leave there is a chance for the UK to escape the woes of Europe and decide our own destiny. Worth considering too, is that there are other EU members e.g. the Netherlands, France, Sweden who are closely watching what happens as their people too, would really like to leave. It will be a brave new world we enter if we leave but much better to face that challenge and grow than meekly accept the alternative simply for fear of the unknown. What we do know is that we are a strong, surviving nation and there is no reason, if everyone pulls together, that we can't advance way beyond the confines of being in the EU.

"better to regret doing something than to regret not doing it"

Tell your kids or grandkids that when they ask if it ll goes wrong, I,m sure they will thank you. the world has changed and moved on, we need Europe, they need us, yes there are problems but going alone because it 'might be better' is to big a gamble

Tell your kids or grandkids that when they ask if it ll goes wrong, I,m sure they will thank you. the world has changed and moved on, we need Europe, they need us, yes there are problems but going alone because it 'might be better' is to big a gamble

Bit of a silly statement really, as surely the same can be said if the UK votes to stay in and it all goes wrong!

Yes the world has changed and moved on but for better or for worse? "might it get better" or not? whatever happens it will keep moving on and changing, and this is one of the rare opportunities for the people to have a direct influence, and NOT a gamble on that change. Folk will vote on what most influences them whether it be based around decisions of head or heart and however one determines should not be condemned but more respected as should the result.

Bit of a silly statement really, as surely the same can be said if the UK votes to stay in and it all goes wrong!

Yes the world has changed and moved on but for better or for worse? "might it get better" or not? whatever happens it will keep moving on and changing, and this is one of the rare opportunities for the people to have a direct influence, and NOT a gamble on that change. Folk will vote on what most influences them whether it be based around decisions of head or heart and however one determines should not be condemned but more respected as should the result.

The voters are definitely being asked to take something of a punt either way. Yes, they will have a vote but, whatever the result, they are then at the mercy of the markets and politicians across Europe.

The metaphor that springs to mind is that is like taking to the lifeboats in the middle of the ocean from a cruise ship mainly because it is decided there are some members of the crew and certain passengers they don't like much. They may be happier to be free to steer their own course on the lifeboat and decide for themselves who they will allow to be on it but the eventual destination is uncertain or what sort of weather the lifeboat will encounter out there. Hoping for a safe landing.

The voters are definitely being asked to take something of a punt either way. Yes, they will have a vote but, whatever the result, they are then at the mercy of the markets and politicians across Europe.

The metaphor that springs to mind is that is like taking to the lifeboats in the middle of the ocean from a cruise ship mainly because it is decided there are some members of the crew and certain passengers they don't like much. They may be happier to be free to steer their own course on the lifeboat and decide for themselves who they will allow to be on it but the eventual destination is uncertain or what sort of weather the lifeboat will encounter out there. Hoping for a safe landing.

Lifeboats definitely the better option............................on the Titanic

Lifeboats definitely the better option............................on the Titanic

No, I think it would be better to stay on the ship and steer away from the ice berg and slow down a bit. Europe needs reform. Hopefully this will shake it up without breaking it. Hopefully.

No, I think it would be better to stay on the ship and steer away from the ice berg and slow down a bit. Europe needs reform. Hopefully this will shake it up without breaking it. Hopefully.

But they did try and steer away from it, but then lets not blame the helmsman he was only following, and could not change, the route as directed by others.

Yes! maybe I should have said the Concordia instead:laugh:

No, the issue is the connection between Britain and Europe. You need a cross channel ferry - such as the Townsend Thoresen "Herald of Free Enterprise".

Of course the trouble with that example is that it capsized so quickly that they didn't get to launch any lifeboats!

Edited by Ken

The first thing I would say is I am not a fan of the politicians on either side - both a bunch of crooks.

However, I will be voting leave and these are my reasons why.

1. Yes, the EU is our biggest trading partner, though personally, I hate the term as it implies the EU is a single country. It isn't and the biggest single country that buys UK goods is the USA. You know, that country with which neither we nor the EU has a trade agreement with.

2. There is a lot of talk about getting a trade agreement with the EU post Brexit. Personally, I think it would happen very fast and be very favourable. The reason is simple economics. Today, the EU is very driven by Germany and that is understandable as most of the rest of the EU are economic basket cases. Germany is by far the single biggest trading partner of the UK with the EU. We are the biggest customer of German cars. Germany though is apparently not doing as well as it was seen - the latest factory data shows a very large contraction. At the same time, Germany has a lot of domestic issues relating to the migrant crises. So, Germany will not want to see its economic heart ripped out by scuppering what is the very core of its economy - engineering.

However, this misses a huge issue. People assume we need or want a trade deal and that such deals are inherently good. Actually, they are often not and can do a lot of negative - have a look at the deal between Mexico and the USA which has caused massive issues to USA car industries. Or, the proposed deal between the EU and USA - TTIP. That has a very big bag of potential negatives. At the same time, there is excellent trade between many countries that have no trade deal.

Then, I think we also need to fundamentally instigate some changes to the UK economy and this could give us the only impetus to do so. At the moment and for the last 30 years, the UK has tried to transform itself into a service economy and is currently trying to get into being a major IT player. I think this is a mistake. We are never going to compete with the major IT players such as the USA and Asia. The other sides such as finance, I would argue have also shown to be a major negative, as while the financial centre, particularly in London has boomed, it has done very little for the wider country and a huge amount of the cash involved moves off shore. I work in a profession whose guiding principle is "The past is the key to the future". Something that we seem to have forgotten. The UK needs to look at what its strengths have been and look to innovate from that, rather than try to mimic others.

2. I think the EU is a dying entity that is going to tear itself apart in the short to medium term. There is growing anti EU feelings across a number of countries such as Austria and Netherlands and Sweden and even growing in France. The Presidential election in Austria in the last couple of weeks came down to less than 1% difference between a anti EU candidate and a pro EU candidate, add in that the anti was also far right wing, which would have put off a lot of voters, and it seems likely that an anti EU feeling could have won it. The countries inside the EU when it implodes are certain to be caught in a giant mess.

3. Migration. The hot topic and most controversial one. I believe, as I think most people do, that migration is important and can be a very important aspect of the economy. However, it needs to be a managed migration. Simply opening up borders to anyone is foolhardy in the extreme. Neither the UK, Germany of any other country says, let us give a free movement to anyone from Africa that wants to live in the country. Why? For obvious reasons. So, there is no good reason for it to also occur within the EU. We know, that the vast majority of EU migrants earn less than £27k a year, and strip those working in London out and it is a lot lower again. Now, the treasuries own estimate is that any migrant earning less than £35k a year, will be a net drain on the economy, simply because the amount of tax they pay will not cover the services used. For example, a migrant family of two adults and two kids earning £27k a year will pay between zero tax and £4k. But, it costs about £4K a year to educate one child. So, even if paying the maximum in tax, they aren't even covering education, let alone the NHS, Social Security, child benefit and all the other services a government provides.

At the same time, we have 13% youth unemployment. Why? Well, we have imported 2.7 million people doing a lot of low skilled to unskilled work - the sort of work that the average kid does when starting out.

We are also seeing almost zero wage growth and other areas of actual wage deflation. Why? Well, it is simple supply and demand. If you are a business and know that you can hire someone for minimum wage, then do you pay extra? Of course not. If you have a vacancy and get 100 applicants, do you sit with your HR team and wonder if you need to raise the wages for that vacancy? Of course not. This is in turn having serious impacts on the economy. It means that we have very low inflation - far below what the BoE would like. Because we are not growing wages, we cant grow inflation. Which means stagnation.

At the same time as this, the treasuries own prediction is that the UK will get as much as another 3 million arrivals in the next 5 years. That is 1 in 10 of the current workforce and that is on the assumption that the EU does not go on and admit more countries - something it is actively looking to do.

No, the issue is the connection between Britain and Europe. You need a cross channel ferry - such as the Townsend Thoresen "Herald of Free Enterprise".

Of course the trouble with that example is that it capsized so quickly that they didn't get to launch any lifeboats!

Appears it is those in command making poor/bad/stupid calls which affect many others that know nothing about it until it is too late!

We know, that the vast majority of EU migrants earn less than £27k a year, and strip those working in London out and it is a lot lower again. Now, the treasuries own estimate is that any migrant earning less than £35k a year, will be a net drain on the economy, simply because the amount of tax they pay will not cover the services used. For example, a migrant family of two adults and two kids earning £27k a year will pay between zero tax and £4k. But, it costs about £4K a year to educate one child. So, even if paying the maximum in tax, they aren't even covering education, let alone the NHS, Social Security, child benefit and all the other services a government provide.

You make a few fair points in your post but I would argue that the most important concern would be inward investment rather than trade. This is likely to be hit hardest on exit.

I also do not agree with the basic premise that Germany in particular and the EU in general will want the UK to have a nice easy exit transition. They are committed to the EU still and a smooth exit by the UK will overall run contra to their interests. The UK is not about to threaten a trade war with the EU either (well, if they do everyone is screwed).

My major gripe is with your point above which you have made before but not substantiated with any evidence. Have you a link to these Treasury figures and why would these numbers apply solely to migrants? Many people who live their entire lives in the UK earn below £35k per year. If it is really the case that people who earn above the national average and pay their taxes are a drain on the Exchequer then this would be more of an indictment of the way that the economy is structured.

People that work contribute far more than simply the income tax that they pay too. Do you agree?

I was asking for references to weed out actual facts....otherwise it's just more noise.

In these days of the internet who knows what an actual fact is? It all depends who's "facts" you are reading or listening to. There are experts for staying in who come out with horror stories about what will happen and there are the opposite who have just as compelling argument for getting out. If I was there I would be voting out just to see what happens. As far as I'm concerned the EU was never meant to be the beast it's turned in to. Started off as the common market didn't it. All our relations are still in the UK and the only ones voting to stay in are my wife's eldest Sister. They are retired teachers and their reasons for voting in are so their kids will be able to travel easier. They both like France too, he's a French teacher and it suits them to come and go easily. Guess they might have to get used to using passports again? No big deal

The first thing I would say is I am not a fan of the politicians on either side - both a bunch of crooks.

However, I will be voting leave and these are my reasons why.

1. Yes, the EU is our biggest trading partner, though personally, I hate the term as it implies the EU is a single country. It isn't and the biggest single country that buys UK goods is the USA. You know, that country with which neither we nor the EU has a trade agreement with.

2. There is a lot of talk about getting a trade agreement with the EU post Brexit. Personally, I think it would happen very fast and be very favourable. The reason is simple economics. Today, the EU is very driven by Germany and that is understandable as most of the rest of the EU are economic basket cases. Germany is by far the single biggest trading partner of the UK with the EU. We are the biggest customer of German cars. Germany though is apparently not doing as well as it was seen - the latest factory data shows a very large contraction. At the same time, Germany has a lot of domestic issues relating to the migrant crises. So, Germany will not want to see its economic heart ripped out by scuppering what is the very core of its economy - engineering.

However, this misses a huge issue. People assume we need or want a trade deal and that such deals are inherently good. Actually, they are often not and can do a lot of negative - have a look at the deal between Mexico and the USA which has caused massive issues to USA car industries. Or, the proposed deal between the EU and USA - TTIP. That has a very big bag of potential negatives. At the same time, there is excellent trade between many countries that have no trade deal.

Then, I think we also need to fundamentally instigate some changes to the UK economy and this could give us the only impetus to do so. At the moment and for the last 30 years, the UK has tried to transform itself into a service economy and is currently trying to get into being a major IT player. I think this is a mistake. We are never going to compete with the major IT players such as the USA and Asia. The other sides such as finance, I would argue have also shown to be a major negative, as while the financial centre, particularly in London has boomed, it has done very little for the wider country and a huge amount of the cash involved moves off shore. I work in a profession whose guiding principle is "The past is the key to the future". Something that we seem to have forgotten. The UK needs to look at what its strengths have been and look to innovate from that, rather than try to mimic others.

2. I think the EU is a dying entity that is going to tear itself apart in the short to medium term. There is growing anti EU feelings across a number of countries such as Austria and Netherlands and Sweden and even growing in France. The Presidential election in Austria in the last couple of weeks came down to less than 1% difference between a anti EU candidate and a pro EU candidate, add in that the anti was also far right wing, which would have put off a lot of voters, and it seems likely that an anti EU feeling could have won it. The countries inside the EU when it implodes are certain to be caught in a giant mess.

3. Migration. The hot topic and most controversial one. I believe, as I think most people do, that migration is important and can be a very important aspect of the economy. However, it needs to be a managed migration. Simply opening up borders to anyone is foolhardy in the extreme. Neither the UK, Germany of any other country says, let us give a free movement to anyone from Africa that wants to live in the country. Why? For obvious reasons. So, there is no good reason for it to also occur within the EU. We know, that the vast majority of EU migrants earn less than £27k a year, and strip those working in London out and it is a lot lower again. Now, the treasuries own estimate is that any migrant earning less than £35k a year, will be a net drain on the economy, simply because the amount of tax they pay will not cover the services used. For example, a migrant family of two adults and two kids earning £27k a year will pay between zero tax and £4k. But, it costs about £4K a year to educate one child. So, even if paying the maximum in tax, they aren't even covering education, let alone the NHS, Social Security, child benefit and all the other services a government provides.

At the same time, we have 13% youth unemployment. Why? Well, we have imported 2.7 million people doing a lot of low skilled to unskilled work - the sort of work that the average kid does when starting out.

We are also seeing almost zero wage growth and other areas of actual wage deflation. Why? Well, it is simple supply and demand. If you are a business and know that you can hire someone for minimum wage, then do you pay extra? Of course not. If you have a vacancy and get 100 applicants, do you sit with your HR team and wonder if you need to raise the wages for that vacancy? Of course not. This is in turn having serious impacts on the economy. It means that we have very low inflation - far below what the BoE would like. Because we are not growing wages, we cant grow inflation. Which means stagnation.

At the same time as this, the treasuries own prediction is that the UK will get as much as another 3 million arrivals in the next 5 years. That is 1 in 10 of the current workforce and that is on the assumption that the EU does not go on and admit more countries - something it is actively looking to do.

I am afraid that at least the last 5 govt's have been urging everyone in this country to get a degree, the last thing youngsters want now is a job gutting chickens, order picking in a warehouse or working 10 hours in a freezing field picking sprouts, this is yet another example of the patronising and disconnected from reality view of the exiteers.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

Just my perspective ,but remember iam living here ,and I meet many new people everyday .

Its breaking down roughly like this

Young and/or urban areas ...IN

older and /or rural ...OUT

My percentage of the people I meet

90% out

10% in ....

But that's just me

The in and out campaigns were in Solihull yesterday .

As the in campaigners approached people with leaflets,there was a lot of " no thanks" .

Strangely 2 of the people in the " in" camp that I have met have been elderly ,and are voting in for their grandchildrens future .....not for themselves.

In the sky news debates ( available online ) I thought Cameron got a mauling ,and Michael govedone quite well.

It is the most important vote,probably in British history .

I feel Britain is in the last chance saloon ...i will be voting OUT ...so will most of the people I know

SHORT TERM PAIN FOR LONG TERM GAIN

A question put by an ex member of Barack Obama staff live on t.v when asked her opinion

" of the 28 countries in the e.u ,how many are net contributors ,and how many net receivers ?"

Its not a trick or loaded question ....try not to seek the answer on google ,have a guess

You make a few fair points in your post but I would argue that the most important concern would be inward investment rather than trade. This is likely to be hit hardest on exit.

I also do not agree with the basic premise that Germany in particular and the EU in general will want the UK to have a nice easy exit transition. They are committed to the EU still and a smooth exit by the UK will overall run contra to their interests. The UK is not about to threaten a trade war with the EU either (well, if they do everyone is screwed).

My major gripe is with your point above which you have made before but not substantiated with any evidence. Have you a link to these Treasury figures and why would these numbers apply solely to migrants? Many people who live their entire lives in the UK earn below £35k per year. If it is really the case that people who earn above the national average and pay their taxes are a drain on the Exchequer then this would be more of an indictment of the way that the economy is structured.

People that work contribute far more than simply the income tax that they pay too. Do you agree?

I agree, inward investment is important and I actually see little reason for it to change significantly. When changing to the Euro, we were being told that companies would stop investment and things if we didn't join. In fact the IMF warned that the UK would be left behind by the powerhouse economies of Spain, Portugal and Greece if we didn't join. We were told that all our car companies would leave.

The reality is, that there will continue to be investment and the UK will continue to trade - including with the EU.

I think Germany will want to see a good an quick deal. It is starting to develop major economic issues of its own. Its car manufacturing is a huge part of its economy and is already struggling after the emissions scandals. It is not going to want to see anything hurt it even more and with the UK being a massive customer, they will want to see thing sorted quickly as it is in nobodies interest not to.

Yes, of course, people that work contribute in all sorts of ways. But, that doesn't mean that they are a plus either economically or socially - otherwise, the logical step would be to send fleets of aircraft to every African country and ask people to get on and come and live in the UK and every country would be doing the same. Migration is important, but it has to be to the good of the nation. Not for some ideal.

I agree, inward investment is important and I actually see little reason for it to change significantly. When changing to the Euro, we were being told that companies would stop investment and things if we didn't join. In fact the IMF warned that the UK would be left behind by the powerhouse economies of Spain, Portugal and Greece if we didn't join. We were told that all our car companies would leave.

The reality is, that there will continue to be investment and the UK will continue to trade - including with the EU.

I think Germany will want to see a good an quick deal. It is starting to develop major economic issues of its own. Its car manufacturing is a huge part of its economy and is already struggling after the emissions scandals. It is not going to want to see anything hurt it even more and with the UK being a massive customer, they will want to see thing sorted quickly as it is in nobodies interest not to.

Yes, of course, people that work contribute in all sorts of ways. But, that doesn't mean that they are a plus either economically or socially - otherwise, the logical step would be to send fleets of aircraft to every African country and ask people to get on and come and live in the UK and every country would be doing the same. Migration is important, but it has to be to the good of the nation. Not for some ideal.

There was no referendum on joining the Euro. There were arguments for and against joining at the time and the decision was made not to join because the case for joining was not made. This is a straw man argument.

Inward investment has already fallen due to the impending referendum. Companies and investors are holding back awaiting the outcome of the vote. Manufacturing has fallen back into recession. The £ falls dramatically every time there is positive news for the Leave campaign, the suspicion being that investment in industry will be hit. This in turn has been confirmed by manufacturers such as Hitachi.

Looks like we will just have to agree to disagree about Germany. IMO they will put the future stability of the EU ahead of trade deals with the UK and the UK cannot threaten a trade war with the EU.

And there is still nothing to support your contention that workers earning less than £35k are a drain on the economy let alone what this has to do with immigration. It just makes no sense. Perhaps the answer is a minimum wage of £35k lol.

The immigration issue is really the only argument that the Leave campaigners have for leaving the EU. It is a strong reason for sure. Whether the UK ability to determine immigration policy is worth all the negatives only time will tell I guess. But I do wish those who are voting Leave solely for this reason would stop deluding themselves that it will otherwise be business as usual after Brexit. It really won't be.

There was no referendum on joining the Euro. There were arguments for and against joining at the time and the decision was made not to join because the case for joining was not made. This is a straw man argument.

Inward investment has already fallen due to the impending referendum. Companies and investors are holding back awaiting the outcome of the vote. Manufacturing has fallen back into recession. The £ falls dramatically every time there is positive news for the Leave campaign, the suspicion being that investment in industry will be hit. This in turn has been confirmed by manufacturers such as Hitachi.

Looks like we will just have to agree to disagree about Germany. IMO they will put the future stability of the EU ahead of trade deals with the UK and the UK cannot threaten a trade war with the EU.

And there is still nothing to support your contention that workers earning less than £35k are a drain on the economy let alone what this has to do with immigration. It just makes no sense. Perhaps the answer is a minimum wage of £35k lol.

The immigration issue is really the only argument that the Leave campaigners have for leaving the EU. It is a strong reason for sure. Whether the UK ability to determine immigration policy is worth all the negatives only time will tell I guess. But I do wish those who are voting Leave solely for this reason would stop deluding themselves that it will otherwise be business as usual after Brexit. It really won't be.

In your opinion of course! Immigration is just a sub topic (though a large one) of the greater subject of having control.

I would also add that to say people are deluded just because they feel strongly about a subject could be seen as offensive.

Another aspect is of course the financial and what it costs us to be a member of this club.

There has been a lot of debate about this and exactly how much it actually is. I haven't finished digging by a long way and am seeing a myriad of small payments in the 10's of millions in addition to these, which indicates that yes, it looks like it costs us one very big bag full of money. And don't forget, what we get back from the EU, we are told how we must spend it.

At the moment, I get it to £307 million a week that is after the rebate and before a big bag of smaller fees or the budget for actually administering it all. The later part I cant get an actual number for other than it is somewhere between £5 and 50 million a week.

Gross National Income charge (membership fee)2015 = £12.9 Billion less £4.5 Billion (given back by EU) = £8.5 Billion Net.

https://fullfact.org/economy/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million

VAT value added tax paid to the E.U. by the UK for 2015 = £2.6 Billion

(Vat contributions in the 2015 EU budget total £14 billion pounds UK pays 18.5%of this)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/483344/EU_finances_2015_final_web_09122015.pdf

Traditional own resources/custom duties paid for 2015 = £2.63 Billion

(TOR in 2015 is €18.8 billion (£14.6 billion), UK pays 18.0 per cent)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/483344/EU_finances_2015_final_web_09122015.pdf

European Court of Auditors November 2014 stated Member States will in thefuture be required to contribute a further €326 billion for commitments madeunder previous Budgets) Estimated UK payment 2015 = £0.5 billion

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu-priorities-2020/news/court-of-auditors-warns-of-multi-billion-eu-budget-gap/

EU budget surcharge: = £850 million pounds (after rebate deducted).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3237073/Cameron-Osborne-quietly-pay-1-7BILLION-bill-Brussels-dismisses-totally-unacceptable.html

Greece bailout rescue fund: In 2010, Jean-Claude Juncker, current EuropeanCommissioner president, made a pledge to UK Prime minister David Cameron, tonever again use the EFSM to bail out another Eurozone country, he lied. https://acelg.blogactiv.eu/2015/07/20/how-europes-least-controversial-rescue-fund-became-controversial/http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/bailout-fallout-juncker-lies-to-cameron.htmlCost of bailout = £850 million.

A significant chunk of these will rise in the coming year