Working holiday in China on your way back?

myic

Hi guys..my first post here..

First of all my apologies as this is not exactly about moving back to UK. I am a school teacher and coordinator of a cultural exchange program that sends participants to key cities in China. The program is originally designed as a youth mobility program for Australian gap year students, however over the years we have received heaps of applications from UK WHV holders. Just a quick question - are there lots of people out there who would like to spend a few months staying with a local family in China, after your 1st or 2nd WHV and before heading back to the UK?

I thought as China is half way between Uk and Australia there might be some interest. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I am not advertising here but if you are interested in getting more about our cultural homestay/Chinese language/English tutoring program in China feel free to send me a private message. :)

Hmmm something to think about!

you should research it more carefully then you planned your whv in oz if you are thinking about it. its not like how brits go to europe & think they experienced a different culture. its a real cultural change with different rules & lots of things you take for granted arent the same or wont be available.

If im honest it was just a polite reply at being tagged when i was in a rush. China has never really been on my list of places that i mentioned the other day. Maybe japan at a push, my friend went recently and loved it. Its probably a cool idea for some people though but it would depend on a few things obviously

you should research it more carefully then you planned your whv in oz if you are thinking about it. its not like how brits go to europe & think they experienced a different culture. its a real cultural change with different rules & lots of things you take for granted arent the same or wont be available.

Yes China is pretty challenging, especially if you are on your own. I did a late "gap year" when I was I my 30s, already quite well travelled and started off with a month in China. I find the country very interesting but it was also just a lot more difficult and quite mentally draining as a sole traveller than anywhere else in Asia by a long mile. Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Japan an absolute breeze in comparison.

Stace, as you know I have travelled a fair bit and lived in so many countries that I sometimes feel like and international gypsy. One of those was China. It is, still to this day, the most amazing place and incredible experience of any of them. I have never met such warm and friendly people and a culture that while a massive difference was so fascinating.

• 2 weeks later...