Year 10 school help needed

Dennic

Hi all, we might be moving back to uk this August!

Although part of me is happy about this I am worried sick that I might mess up my child's education :(

my son is in year 9 at the moment in Perth, if we go back in August he will be able to join year 10 in uk for the start of the year in September but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, has anyone done this? My biggest worry is...

will he be far behind?

As he hasn't picked subjects how will he get on?

does the year 9 assessments go towards their end of year 10 grades?

Thank you

Hi all, we might be moving back to uk this August!

Although part of me is happy about this I am worried sick that I might mess up my child's education :(

my son is in year 9 at the moment in Perth, if we go back in August he will be able to join year 10 in uk for the start of the year in September but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, has anyone done this? My biggest worry is...

will he be far behind?

As he hasn't picked subjects how will he get on?

does the year 9 assessments go towards their end of year 10 grades?

Thank you

I think that you will find that your timing is good as he would go and do the final two years of school which are the ones that count towards GCSE's. He can then do A levels and will be eligible for University places as a British National. Good Luck, I hope that it works out for you.

Assuming you are moving to England or Wales GCSE courses are typically 2 year courses & start in year 10 - year 9 assessments may be used for streaming but are of no real consequence. Obviously in many subjects - maths, English, foreign languages etc. the course builds on skills and knowledge acquired prior to year 10 but he will have that from Australia - obviously pick wisely, don't opt for French if he studied Italian in Perth.

There may be some value in him starting back in year 9, depending on when his birthday is, physical and emotional maturity etc. Our son was in the middle of year 5 when we left Perth, he could have gone straight into year 6 but we chose

for him to start year 5 again which has worked well for our son.

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I work in a UK school so hopefully can be of assistance.

In recent years, GCSE's have been done in year 9, 10 & 11. However they have changed this back to how it was years ago and they only now do them in Year 10 & 11. So you couldn't have picked a best time. Also in the UK there is no national assessment at the end of year 9 anymore, nothing replaced the SATS when they where scrapped for year 9's. So school now do any assessments locally, they might ask your son to sit a few exams.

You really have nothing to worry about.

I think you should be in a good position, we have just moved back with my son 5 months into year 11. UK school won't take him as too near end of year and pupils presently sitting exams. We have investigated other options (Some employers willing to consider Aussie education on support of PISA 2012 statement- search the web). Also colleges seem good and looks favourable to enrol on diploma course if he does not secure apprenticeship he is after.

He had worked part time for last 3 years in Auss' (Red Rooster) & although we thought it would be difficult to get a part time job in Uk, he went around local shops & taken on by Sports Direct in the 1st week home.

push for what you want - its out there.

Education is a devolved issue meaning there is not a single UK system, and policies differ across England, Wales, Scotland and N.lreland. In Wales it is not uncommon for a school to start some key GCSE courses in Y9, completing the modules and exams a year early (by Y10 instead of Y11). I also know of one school that has decided to spread the course work for all subjects across three years (Y9, Y10 and Y11) instead of two. I’m not sure of the official reasoning but guess it allows for a more in depth approach, with early exams and re-sits if necessary.

To be certain, perhaps consider approaching potential schools to check out their policy, particularly as catchment areas might then be something else to factor in when deciding where to settle. T x