VETASSESS Skills Assessment for 133111 Construction Project Manager NEGATIVE

Matthew Molder

So about 10 weeks after submitting my backup documents for my skills assessment as a Construction Project Manager, I received a response from VETASSESS. Unfortunately they found my Educational and Work backgrounds to be irrelevant and gave me a negative assessment. I have Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Interior Design...which I knew was a little bit of a stretch but was hoping it would have at least been considered like an architectural degree would, as I'm very well-versed in building code requirements and construction-related codes and can easily read a set of construction documents.

What really surprised me was the negative assessment of my work experience. I have worked as a project manager the last 5-1/2 years and they deemed it irrelevant?!? My firm specializes in client-side construction related project management, and I tried to cater my resume and job description as closely to the ANZCO code description as possible (without lying of course!).

Does anyone think I have any chance of a successful appeal to my assessment? I was really hoping to apply for a 189 visa but am considering a Work and Holiday visa if that's my only option. I turn 30 in August so this is my last chance! Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. I was quite frustrated last night and did an impulse buy of guidance/feedback from an online migration agent and am scheduled to talk to them early next week...hopefully they'll have some positive feedback. Will keep everyone posted of any good news!

I have just read what Vetassess says for this occupation and it states that if the qualification is not at the right level then the experience will also be negatively assessed. So I expect it was just the knock on impact, that they are not going to assess your experience as being ok when the qualification isn't. Fine arts degree does sounds like a bit of a stretch to me too as this occupation reuqired a highly relevant degree.

A meeting with a migrwtion agent seems like a sensible next step to me.

• 1 month later...

hi did you get any useful guidance from the agent? I am preparing paperwork for assessment but very nervous about relevancy of degree, Fine Art. Although I have worked in the construction industry for 20 years with the last 10 years as a design/project manager

• 1 month later...

So they deny all the experience you get ? I understood that if you have at least 5 years of experience in position that matches the ANZCO description for Project manager, that then they give you a positive approval . So am I mistaken ?

So according to your experience (5 years for Bungo and 20 years for Jones) they deny the experience ? Then it would probably be better if you do not tell you have Bachelor degree at all ?

Wow i'm in the same boat. Im just applying to Civil engineering draftsperson with a ba hons in interior design and btec in design and also worried that the qualifications are not highly relevant. There is no real guidance on how relevant a qualification must be. I think that building technology and drafting are covered within the syllabus should be enough. I hope you can contest it?

• 1 month later...
So they deny all the experience you get ? I understood that if you have at least 5 years of experience in position that matches the ANZCO description for Project manager, that then they give you a positive approval . So am I mistaken ?

So according to your experience (5 years for Bungo and 20 years for Jones) they deny the experience ? Then it would probably be better if you do not tell you have Bachelor degree at all ?

I submitted my paperwork to the advisory service without stating an occupation off the list to see what guidance they gave. they didn't mention project manager. they only suggested building associate which needs to be state sponsored and therefore limits options

I emailed a Mara Agent to get some guidance and they advised the following (we were discussing why he had suggested Building Associate rather than Construction Project Manager):

"The ANZSCO dictionary which sets skill levels and which offers 5 years experience as a substitute is a different instrument and serves a different purpose to the gazetted skill assessor Vetassess. The measure you have to satisfy for migration purposes is the Vetassess criteria, as the ANZSCO is a more general industry guideline as compared to the migration criteria set by Vetassess...Construction Project Manager for ANZSCO or industry purposes, experience can substitute (3 years work experience) however for Vetassess you must have a qualification."

Vetassess say "A highly relevant field of study is Construction Project Management, which is the study of planning and controlling building projects (ASCED). General management degrees without underpinning or related studies in construction/civil engineering or building would not usually be positively assessed for this occupation. Qualifications in Architectural Studies with supporting highly relevant employment will be considered on a case-by-case basis."

Therefore I don't think you will know unless you try. I issued all of my paperwork to the Advisory service and they advised that my degree would likely be assessed as an AQF bachelor degree. They stated that I would likely receive a positive outcome against Building Associate based on CV and Work experience paperwork. They didn't mention Construction Project Manager at all, I don't know if this is because they ruled it out due to qualification or I didn't fit the criteria for the case-by-case scenario. Hope this helps

@Matthew Molder - if you go down the route of getting a WHV, don't forget that you could do your 3 months farming work even though your 30, as long has you apply before your 31st birthday, you can get yourself a 2nd year. A lot of people have this misconception that when you hit 30 that you cant get one.... alot of these non gov via info websites say "between 18 and 30"

"Requirements

You might be able to get this visa if you:

are at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age

don't have a dependent child with you at any time during your stay in Australia

have a passport from:"

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

• 2 years later...
On 20/05/2016 at 01:31, Matthew Molder said:

So about 10 weeks after submitting my backup documents for my skills assessment as a Construction Project Manager, I received a response from VETASSESS. Unfortunately they found my Educational and Work backgrounds to be irrelevant and gave me a negative assessment. I have Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Interior Design...which I knew was a little bit of a stretch but was hoping it would have at least been considered like an architectural degree would, as I'm very well-versed in building code requirements and construction-related codes and can easily read a set of construction documents.

What really surprised me was the negative assessment of my work experience. I have worked as a project manager the last 5-1/2 years and they deemed it irrelevant?!? My firm specializes in client-side construction related project management, and I tried to cater my resume and job description as closely to the ANZCO code description as possible (without lying of course!).

Does anyone think I have any chance of a successful appeal to my assessment? I was really hoping to apply for a 189 visa but am considering a Work and Holiday visa if that's my only option. I turn 30 in August so this is my last chance! Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. I was quite frustrated last night and did an impulse buy of guidance/feedback from an online migration agent and am scheduled to talk to them early next week...hopefully they'll have some positive feedback. Will keep everyone posted of any good news!

Hey. I’m from India and this year I would be applying for the master in project management at The University of South Australia in Adelaide. I just want to know that if I do this course, will my skill be assessed under the construction project manager if I get the job in that field. I mean is doing the project management course best suited for the construction project manager? Will the VETASSESS approve me as Construction Project Manager? Please help me out

On 20/05/2016 at 06:01, Matthew Molder said:

The occupation of Construction Project Manager is a Group A occupation and as such requires a Bachelor degree or higher degree, with a highly relevant field of study and at least 1 year of employment experience.

Unlike some other occupations assessed by Vetassess, you can not make up for a qualification which is not highly relevant with additional years of employment experience.