Primary school education in Perth...

Guest Mel & Ed

Guest Mel & Ed

Hi All,

I believe in Perth the kids start scool later???

My son has just started school here in Uk this sept as he is just 5..I think he would start school the year he is 6 and a half in Perth and their school yr start Jan so he wouldnt start school until jan 2007, which seems unreal...Does this sound correct to anyone?? Would it mean that he is learning stuff he has already learnt and what would he do until then??Is Kindergarten free..??

if anyone has info please let me know,

thanks

Melanie (& 3 kids)

• 3 months later...
Guest wfourie

I also have the same dilema my boy is 4 and wouldn't start school until 2009 which is ridiculous as he started school in september aged 4 what will I do with him for 2 years!

HELP

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

If you're defo staying in OZ it will all pan out in the end. We lived in Sydney 10 years ago and my son struggled socially the first year cos he was a "babe" compared to some of the other children who were up to a year older than him, i.e., 6 whilst he wasn't even 5! As in Europe, children benefit from starting school later especially boys. You may find if they are academically ahead they will be put up a year, its more flexible over there.

Having said that when we came back he struggled cos the kids here were ahead of him! Thankfully with some extra tutorial when we got back he is now doing just fine.

Pre-school is available but think you have to pay, not sure.

Anyways hope that helps.

Guest daisydeeds

The School term in NSW and Im pretty sure everywhere is February. I think what will happen probably is that the children will be kept back for six months or so to acclimatise to the australian school system. Basically this means that say, if you got a visa in June, they would finish their school year here, get some holidays in June/July in Australia and finish the Australia school year, stop for the christmas holidays and start their new school term in February. For example, our daughter would finish up her Primary one here, have a short summer break in Oz, then finish Primary one in December (again) then begin Primary two in February. Does that make sense?

The child starting primary one by age 6 is set across Oz I think. In the UK its usually four or five/five and a half (ie before six) so I cant see that the wee one being 4 would make much of a difference although you might find it an idea to put them into a nursery for a short period depending on when you go over as it would acclimatise them to the system/language etc.

This post sounds incredibly rambling. I hope it makes some kind of sense.

Daisydeeds ;-)

Guest ABCDiamond

In WA, if the child is born between 1 July 2000 to 30 June 2001

According to http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/ece/WA.htm they will start:

Kindergarten in Jan/Feb 2005 at age 3 or 4

Pre-Primary in 2006 at age 4 or 5

Year 1 in 2007 at age 5 or 6

Year 2 in 2008 at age 6 or 7

Year 3 in 2009 at age 7 or 8

Year 4 in 2010 at age 8 or 9

Year 5 in 2011 at age 9 or 10

My daughter (in QLD) just started year 5 last month at age 9yrs 8 mths, so that ties in with the WA dates above.

You may want to check the schools to see what Kindergarten and Pre-Primary actually consists of. My daughter had homework in her year before year 1, but I have heard some people say that does not happen.

So some schools (States) may differ in their teaching approach.

Archived