Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mel & Ed

Primary school education in Perth...

Guest Mel & Ed

Hi All,

I believe in Perth the kids start scool later???

My son has just started school here in Uk this sept as he is just 5..I think he would start school the year he is 6 and a half in Perth and their school yr start Jan so he wouldnt start school until jan 2007, which seems unreal...Does this sound correct to anyone?? Would it mean that he is learning stuff he has already learnt and what would he do until then??Is Kindergarten free..??

if anyone has info please let me know,

thanks

Melanie (& 3 kids)

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Guest wfourie

I also have the same dilema my boy is 4 and wouldn't start school until 2009 which is ridiculous as he started school in september aged 4 what will I do with him for 2 years!

HELP

Guest SuzieQ

Hi All,

If you're defo staying in OZ it will all pan out in the end. We lived in Sydney 10 years ago and my son struggled socially the first year cos he was a "babe" compared to some of the other children who were up to a year older than him, i.e., 6 whilst he wasn't even 5! As in Europe, children benefit from starting school later especially boys. You may find if they are academically ahead they will be put up a year, its more flexible over there.

Having said that when we came back he struggled cos the kids here were ahead of him! Thankfully with some extra tutorial when we got back he is now doing just fine.

Pre-school is available but think you have to pay, not sure.

Anyways hope that helps.

Guest daisydeeds

The School term in NSW and Im pretty sure everywhere is February. I think what will happen probably is that the children will be kept back for six months or so to acclimatise to the australian school system. Basically this means that say, if you got a visa in June, they would finish their school year here, get some holidays in June/July in Australia and finish the Australia school year, stop for the christmas holidays and start their new school term in February. For example, our daughter would finish up her Primary one here, have a short summer break in Oz, then finish Primary one in December (again) then begin Primary two in February. Does that make sense?

The child starting primary one by age 6 is set across Oz I think. In the UK its usually four or five/five and a half (ie before six) so I cant see that the wee one being 4 would make much of a difference although you might find it an idea to put them into a nursery for a short period depending on when you go over as it would acclimatise them to the system/language etc.

This post sounds incredibly rambling. I hope it makes some kind of sense.

Daisydeeds ;-)

In WA, if the child is born between 1 July 2000 to 30 June 2001

According to http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/ece/WA.htm they will start:

Kindergarten in Jan/Feb 2005 at age 3 or 4

Pre-Primary in 2006 at age 4 or 5

Year 1 in 2007 at age 5 or 6

Year 2 in 2008 at age 6 or 7

Year 3 in 2009 at age 7 or 8

Year 4 in 2010 at age 8 or 9

Year 5 in 2011 at age 9 or 10

My daughter (in QLD) just started year 5 last month at age 9yrs 8 mths, so that ties in with the WA dates above.

You may want to check the schools to see what Kindergarten and Pre-Primary actually consists of. My daughter had homework in her year before year 1, but I have heard some people say that does not happen.

So some schools (States) may differ in their teaching approach.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By KPG
        Hello,
        This is my very first topic and I hope to receive some info that can put my mind at ease.
        We are a family of 4 (2 kids) and are working on a migration plan to Adelaide, SA under the sub class via 489 which does not give similar benefits of a 189 or 190 visa category, i.e. education and health benefits.

My question's and concerns are:
        - How expensive would schooling and health cover be?
        - Can I enroll my children in a public school or does it only have to be a private school?
        - What would the health coverage or insurance take care of, only doctors consultations and or medications?

Any additional info that you feel can be of help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
      • By Loulouhew
        Hi just wondering if anyone knows what the shipping companies charge to store your stuff the other end if you send it before you arrive?.

Thanks
      • By The Pom Queen
        New research urges Western Australia to tackle longstanding political fights such as retail trading hours and daylight saving, and to embrace asset recycling to boost infrastructure, as part of a plan to ­attract residents in the ­absence of a mining boom.
        A new paper by consultancy firm PwC, as part of The Australian’s Better Cities initiative, finds that while resources will unquestionably remain the backbone of the West Australian economy, the state needs to develop other industry sectors to act as “shock absorbers’’ when commodity ­cycles turn.
        The report — If you build it, will they stay? Capitalising on Perth’s boomtime legacy— finds the most recent mining boom has left a strong legacy.
        Lead author and PwC managing partner Justin Carroll said one of the most important ingredients for a city to prosper was strong population growth, and Perth needed to find new ways to continue to attract and retain citizens.
        “The legacy of the boom means that Perth is not the same city it was 10 years ago and it has been revitalised with new world-class facilities. We must build on this to ensure Perth is an even ­better city to live, work and play.
        “To further flourish Perth needs to continue to diversify its economy beyond the resources sector, capitalise on its proximity to Asia and its time zone, and ­embrace Perth’s culture of scientific and technical innovation.’’
        The PwC report says rumours of a mass exodus from Perth have been “greatly exaggerated’’. WA’s population continues to grow but at a slower rate than during the mining and construction boom.
        But greater Perth had the fastest rate of decline of any Australian capital city in net domestic migration between the 2012 ­financial year and the 2016 financial year.
        The outflow of domestic mig­rants was offset by net overseas arrivals, which remained strong at 13,600 in the year to June 30.
        The report finds there have been many innovations coming from WA, particularly in the fields of medical research, mining and agriculture, and advises Perth to capitalise on these strengths to become a global research hub.
        It says WA fails to attract many overseas ­students ­despite sharing a time zone with key Asian capitals. But it also calls on the state to tackle issues such as daylight saving, taxation, local council reform, trading hours and a resistance to big change.
        WA is also advised to be more receptive to partnering the priv­ate sector on big infrastructure projects and to consider asset ­recycling and value capture, which are being deployed in NSW as the state embarks on a massive infrastructure spend.
      • By Parley
        Western Australia is Australia's worst performing state.
        Even worse than Tassie.

So to all Poms wanting to move to Australia it is best to come over to the Eastern side.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/nsw-is-australias-best-performing-state-while-western-australia-has-slipped-to-last-place/news-story/9b49f3ad440a83b75e101bb2db9bf1d6
      • By Surbello
        Hello everyone, my name is Andreas and this next november-december I am going to travel to Australia. My problem is I do not know where to go. 
        I studied something related with construction and my experience in that area in my opinion is medium. Where I do not have experience is in english language. I have to say that will be a big problem for me at the beginning but I am sure I will solve it quickly because I love english. 
        I am under 30 years old, I like big cities but does not necessary have to be Sydney or Melbourne, I think small city (1M people) can be better to find a room and know the differences little by little between my country and your country. I looked for information about Perth, Adelaide and Canberra. At the end, all the information I have found about them is: it is okay but they are not Sydney or Melbourne... 
        During my Visa time I can move around the country as much as I want, so I prefer arrive in a small city, spend there (2,3,6... months) to speak and understand your language better than the first day and then if I have a good feeling move to Sydney (for example). What is your opinion about my idea? During that first stage I assume I will work in unskilled work, but it is okay for me.
        Now knowing my profile which of those cities I told you before would you live in?

Thank you for your time, sorry for my write mistakes I thank you for your help.

Andreas