Cost of taking horse from UK to Oz?!

Guest jenny4nails

Guest jenny4nails

Could anyone tell me what (approximately) are the costs and considerations of taking my 15.2hh horse from Uk to Sunshine Coast?! :wacko:

The dogs are costing us a bomb to take over ....daren't ask how much a horse is?!

Thanks in advance

Jenny :twitcy:

Guest Samantha1974

Hi Jenny, I too have 2 horses a 13.3hh and a 17.2hh I did enquire with the an international horse shipping company, for both the horses it was around £20,000 a lot of money!! Admittedly my 17.2hh mare needed 1 and a half crates. So I have decided not to take them not just the money but also I was concerned that they would not climatise to the hot temperatures, also how would they cope on the flight. Keeping a horse in Oz if far more expensive as when we was in Brisbane last year a bale of hay was £22 yes £22 and the bale was half the size of a UK bale. Scandless.

PS the £20,000 did not include quarentine nor transport on arrival.

Good luck Sam

Guest jenny4nails

Good job I was sat down when I read your reply Sam!!! £20,000 is serious money! not to mention $22 for a bale of hay!!

What a hard decision though having to leave your 2 behind, you poor thing!

Will you have horses again when you are in Oz? Can you tell me a bit about keeping horses in Australia e.g: do they live out most of the time? Do you know the average cost per week for DIY?

Any info you have would be really appreciated.

I would love to take my gelding with me...being realisitic though...he's 18...has mild arthritis in his front legs...and not sure if the journey would be too much for him? But what a life if he did go....the sunshine might ease his arthritis?!

Isn't it difficult...having to make such decisions?!

Jenny

what a hrad decission ,it is alot of money though isnt it.You will laugh when you see them rugging up here cause its coming winter?????????????????its still 20 degrees!!!

Have you looked on Horse Deals - Thousands of Horses, Transport, Saddlery and Property For Sale to buy a horse here is much cheaper than at home ,food etc can be bought reasonable if you shop around,

Cal x

Guest Samantha1974

Hi Jenny, yes I would love a horse again out there but I think I will have a couple of years off. I think been realistic I would like to get totally setteled in my new lifestyle although that doesn't mean I won't be going riding!!

It depends on where you live but if you live round Queensland (like we are doing) in there summer you have to get up at 3-4am to ride as it is too hot during the day. A lot of horse people, tend to have there own land, the grass is not green like here its like dead dry. Oz horses don't now any different so they are fine but ours who are used to lushous grass might find it difficult. Another thing I thought was what about the Mozzy's what if I paid to get them both out there and they have a reaction to the moskito bites. You will see horses in paddocks, in what we call 'horse sick' fields that is because the sun just burns the grass. The feed and hay costs are really expensive, it is completely different to keeping a horse in th UK. Yes the ozzy's really do rug their horses in winter (but it's still 22 degrees). I hope you can make the right decision it took me ages and if I am honest there is still a part me asking "should I take them with me" I just try and be practical and put my emotions on one side.

Anyway I have decided that if I was to take mine as much as I love them it would be for me and not the horses and because I love and respect them so much I am not taking them I think they would be better of in the UK.

All the best Sam

Guest And The Dog Makes 9

Hi Jenny,

I am taking all my three horses with us to Melbourne. It will be £25k, they go down to Newmarket on July 21st to start their quarantine and will come out the other side on Sept 6th. We have secured a rental with land (our house not sold yet!!). We budgeted the cost into the move from the beginning. I know it is a considerable amount,but without them i wouldn't be going so it wasn't up for disscussion. They are younger than yours,being 6,12 and 13. I would have had to give it serious thought had they been older or had any ailments. I am using IRT (International racehorse transport). Good luck with your decision. PM me if you need any further info.

Caroline.

Guest jenny4nails

Rugging up in 20 degrees!! ha ha...love it!

Good website Cal...lovin' the pics of people stood up on their horses? What's that about?! lol. Don't get many pics like that in UK websites or in Horse & Hound! lol.

Just thinking...if you keep your horse on your land.....do you find it a bit isolated for riding? Or do there tend to be areas that a few houses have land and they ride together...making it more social?

Also, do they ride on roads in QLD?

We are looking at relocating to Sunshine Coast area, seen there are some brill hacking areas (Little Mountain etc).

Jenny x

• 3 weeks later...

hi horse people:yes: have looked many times for horsey info! i am not taking my pony with me he is 14hh arab x . a pet travel company told me it would be about £6,000 that was ages ago at a seminar about migration. dont ask what company carnt remember! my blacksmith used to live in oz and trained in nz, he said its really cheap to buy a nice horse compared to here. worried now though it sounds very different from home. i am putting beau out on loan as i do not want to make any rash disisions. what if we come home in a years time hating oz and i sold him?

This is the worst part of leaving for me (im sure u guys understand) :cry: at the moment i carnt even contemplate thinking of leaving him. whats everyone else doing

claire xx

good luck tiff ,,where are you going in oz? im 99%fenced now and the grass is creeping through so hopefully soon,,,(she says fingers crossed)lol, i wouldnt mind rescuing a Brumby this time though? anyone any thoughts?

Cal x

Hi Cal. I am moving to Perth. But my mare has to stay in Quarantine in Sydney until she foals...So that means she will be there until April/may time.:wideeyed: Not funny. But I am introducing a new jumping line to Aus, so I guess needs must.

I saw those Brumby(sp?) pony's at a sale on another Aussie horse forum....tragic, just tragic. one that had lost an eye on transit, another that had recently lost an eye. I would have rescued some just to have them put to sleep and out of their misery. Very sad.:no:

Hiya Tiff ,every couple of years they catch a few brumbys in the nearby army camp and you can apply to take one ,id love to give one a good home,it is sad the state you see some in ,,good luck with your new line ,from what ive seen they like there barrel racing and dressarge over here ,show jumping and cross country for me!!! lol

Claire

I sold mine when i had Zak so didnt have the terrible decision of what to do when moving here,can you find a home with someone you know? may help you feel better if you can keep in touch ,check out Horse Deals - Thousands of Horses, Transport, Saddlery and Property For Sale your friend is right they are much cheaper than in the uk,,

Cal x

• 1 year later...
Guest sema01

When transporting your horse, here are some items to keep in mind:

- Horse passport. Also idchip and any inoculations required which horse does not have yet.

- Transport to airport

- Air Fare

- Quarentine and vet costs

- Transport from quarentine to new home (Australia is big, so can be long and expensive trip)

- Insurance for trip

- Import taxes

- Allowance for any minor injuries (hopefully no major) during this major relocation

- Allowance for extra costs (including vet) and time while horse adapts to different climate, insect population and so on

Regulations change. Based on my experience, it is best to confirm all requirements and taxes with BOTH the oz officials and the transport company. If the two don't agree on any item, allow for the worse case and try to get agreement on the best case.

Also good to check (as per earlier posts) local costs, as some may be much higher than expected. Checklist at horse costs , plus their on-line calculators.

Then add a bit for contingency.

Hope this isn't too negative. But, if one takes the worse case, one can only be pleasantly surprised.

I was quoted £6k last year Wirral UK to Adelaide for my 15hh mare. But if we get our visa (hopefully any day now) I have decided not to take her as she is 26 years old and my vet has advised it would not be fare to take her. I am really upset to leave her as I have owned her for 22 years but she must come first. I have found her a private retirement home £45 per week in Wales which a few people have horses there who have emigrated to Australia. They send you monthly e-mails to up date you. It is called Happy Horse Retirement Home if it is any use to anyone.

PLEASE be careful about loaning them out as an option. My friend just did that and had a phone call today to say someone had just bought her horse from a sales and wanted to find out more info! The loan people had taken it and sold it on! Even though they had been texting saying how well the horse had settled!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jodles

Hi,

I really feel for you on this. I am british but have been living in France for the last 3 years. I have a 16.2 dutch warmblood, 13.2 Haflinger and a little 12.2 Landais. The two ponies were rescue jobbies really as they were totally overworked at a riding centre. We are seriously thinking of moving to aus. However for me, the thought of leaving my little gang behind just kills me, its not just me either as the two ponies belong to my daughters of 13 and 9! Also, I see so many horses and ponies being mistreated here and the thought of that happening to my guys (again in the ponies case) is heartbreaking. They have all been so responsive to kind treatment and have literally come to life in front of our eyes after arriving with completely broken spirits. None of them are young at 15, 19 and 23 so I know shipping will be a total nightmare. Also trying to explain to my hubby why I need to spend 10K shipping a little old pony that cost 100 euros in the first place is not easy! Help!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest adrian123
Could anyone tell me what (approximately) are the costs and considerations of taking my 15.2hh horse from Uk to Sunshine Coast?! :wacko:

The dogs are costing us a bomb to take over ....daren't ask how much a horse is?!

Thanks in advance

Jenny :twitcy:

this is the best company www.worldwidecargo-ship.com

Guest jodles

hi there,

We are currently looking into moving our 3 horses and its looks to be about 15k each animal, and that doesnt include vets or transport to and from quarantine. Ouch eh?

Good luck and please let us know if you find a cheaper way.

Jodie

Archived