Anyone in Suffolk moving to the Brisbane area?

Hi All, just wondering if there is anyone on here with children moving to Brisbane? My husband and I are currently in the process and getting ready to submit our visa application. We have two kids, a girl age 7, in year 2 and school, and a boy age 4, due to start class r in September.. I have no worries about the change for our 4 year old, he is very sociable and am sure he will adapt easily, whereas our daughter doesn't want to leave her friends at school and I worry about how she will settle once we get there as she is quite shy..

Sorry not from Suffolk, over in Surrey. We are moving to Brisbane soon with a 3 and 2 yr old and also looking at best ways get involved.

When are you planning to go?

We're not quite sure yet..ideally we'd like to go as soon as possible, and have our eldest start the new school year at the end of January, but we have an awful lot of things to sort out between now and then so will have to see how it all comes together. How about you?

Hiya, we are not in Suffolk either, Northamptonshire, but we are moving to Perth 19th July and also looking for other mums that are out there, we've got a 3 year old so I guess it'll be a while before school but he goes to nursery here in the uk and looking for something similar in Perth, I think it's kindy?! Anyway wondered if anyone has recently or is moving in the next few months?! :)

Hi I'm moving the 30th of August to Brisbane! I have a girl age 7 and twin boys age 5. Do you know where you are hoping to move in Brisbane? We have a 4 week rental booked near the city then hoping to go Thornlands/Cleveland area. We went on a reccie September last year and loved it x

Hi I'm moving the 30th of August to Brisbane! I have a girl age 7 and twin boys age 5. Do you know where you are hoping to move in Brisbane? We have a 4 week rental booked near the city then hoping to go Thornlands/Cleveland area. We went on a reccie September last year and loved it x

Hi ya chan8180, very similar ages to my two :-) How are they feeling about the move? Not long to go now! We are not sure yet where we will move to..we haven't done a reccie, just lots of research online, so won't really know how we feel about the different suburbs until we get there and have a look around! I do like the look of the Thornlands/Clevelands area, and some of other suburbs in the bay area, and had thought it would be nice to be near the sea for the breezes.. However, we do also like the look of the suburbs to the west of the cbd like Chapel Hill/Kenmore/The Gap to name a few. x

We have a 3 year old boy (4 in November) and a 2 year old girl, looking to land in October in Brisbane and then rent in Kangaroo Point for 6 months while we work out where we want to buy (assuming that we can get jobs!!!)

same birthday month as our boy, and husband, and our girl is december.. such an expensive few months in our house! Kangaroo Point seems like a perfect place for a base whilst deciding where you want to buy. Can imagine we'll start off somewhere fairly central too! Yes, slightly nerve racking about wondering how long it will take to find work!!

Guest hoffer

From just down the road in Colcheter and been in Brisbane for almost 2.5 years. My daughter was 6 when we moved and we had the same worries. Luckily she has adapted really well

same birthday month as our boy, and husband, and our girl is december.. such an expensive few months in our house! Kangaroo Point seems like a perfect place for a base whilst deciding where you want to buy. Can imagine we'll start off somewhere fairly central too! Yes, slightly nerve racking about wondering how long it will take to find work!!

It's a really good place to find your feet, my brother rented for 6 months there and we are following a couple of years later. It's central to find work and enjoy the city while you work out best place to put down roots.

From just down the road in Colcheter and been in Brisbane for almost 2.5 years. My daughter was 6 when we moved and we had the same worries. Luckily she has adapted really well

Hope it will be the same for us too Hoffer.. How are you finding life in Bulimba compared to Colchester? I've been bigging up Australia Zoo amongst other things to my daughter at the moment as she loves Colchester Zoo, and keeps on saying she doesn't want to move to Australia and miss the things she likes in England. Thankfully she does now seem to be coming round the idea.

Hello Laura & family

Friends of ours have been here about 2 years and they're from Suffolk. We're ex London & Banbury. We do migrant get-togethers ('cos we know how stressful it can be in the first year or 3) and the next will be Saturday 2 July at Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes (about 30 mins' drive north of the city). From 2pm til you have to go. BYO food, drinks, etc. About 15 families come, who have been here between 5 months & 3 years. Whoever's here by 2 July, you'd be very welcome. (It'll also be on the calendar on this site.) PM me if you have questions/queries. And WELCOME!

Hello Laura & family

Friends of ours have been here about 2 years and they're from Suffolk. We're ex London & Banbury. We do migrant get-togethers ('cos we know how stressful it can be in the first year or 3) and the next will be Saturday 2 July at Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes (about 30 mins' drive north of the city). From 2pm til you have to go. BYO food, drinks, etc. About 15 families come, who have been here between 5 months & 3 years. Whoever's here by 2 July, you'd be very welcome. (It'll also be on the calendar on this site.) PM me if you have questions/queries. And WELCOME!

Hi Pat, thanks for your reply and info on the migrant get togethers. Unfortunately we won't be able to join you at the July one, but would certainly be interested in future dates as we will be arriving into Brisbane without knowing anyone there! Thanks again

Thanks Quoll

Hi @mummylauraoftwo.

Where abouts in Suffolk are you? I am from Bury St Edmunds and the surrounding villages, lovely place, miss it lots. Anyway, i am back for 5 weeks end of june/all of july so happy to meet up if you want to chat and have any questions etc....or just ask away on here.

Look forward to your reply.

Hi @wattsy1982

Thanks for posting and apologies for the delayed reply.. I have been unwell for a few days! We live in Ipswich. I can understand you missing where you are from lots, Bury St Edmunds is such a quaint little town, I prefer it to Ipswich. How long have you been in Brisbane? I can imagine you will have a busy 5 weeks catching up with family and friends, so it's very kind of you to offer to meet up. We can just see once you're back here if easier :-)

Hi @mummylauraoftwo.

Where abouts in Suffolk are you? I am from Bury St Edmunds and the surrounding villages, lovely place, miss it lots. Anyway, i am back for 5 weeks end of june/all of july so happy to meet up if you want to chat and have any questions etc....or just ask away on here.

Look forward to your reply.

We have been living here (Gold Coast) for 3 years now @mummylauraoftwo and this will be our first trip back, kill or cure for me!

We used ti live in Woolpit, half way between Bury and Ipswich, great part of the country.

I will message you on here if I have some spare time and can meet halfway in Stowmarket maybe.

Hi @wattsy1982 wow, first visit back in 3 years.. that is a long time! I hope it is cure for you! Sorry it's another slow reply, just had the school half term break and things been hectic! I know where Woolpit is.. so do message on here if you find you have some spare time.. Stowmarket would be a good half way mark, but completely understand if it doesn't happen - your first visit back, I'm sure you're going to have so many people to catch up with rather than some complete strangers lol.

We have been living here (Gold Coast) for 3 years now @mummylauraoftwo and this will be our first trip back, kill or cure for me!

We used ti live in Woolpit, half way between Bury and Ipswich, great part of the country.

I will message you on here if I have some spare time and can meet halfway in Stowmarket maybe.

Hello

Yes, 'tis me! Sat 2 July, Aurora Boulevard Park, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes, from 2pm (although we'll be there earlier to grab a table/bbq) til you have to go. BYO food, drinks, etc. PM me if you want other information or if you'd like to catch up for a cuppa somewhere in the meantime.

And ... WELCOME!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm not from Suffolk but am a pom living in Brisbane's Bayside area. We were in WA before here so I'm new to the area but getting to know the place. My boys are 6 and 9 and just moved schools from WA. If anyone needs Bayside Schools info I am happy to help. I don't know what I would have done without friends of friends' advice before we moved!