Aussie and UK pension

My Husband and I have lived in OZ since 1991.In UK we had 25 years working life before migrating. However, now we are on the full Aussie pension and was wondering if it is beneficial to claim the UK one or not. We do not want to be worse off, but at the same time we may wish to relocate back to U K in the future. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

I can't see how you are on a full Aussie Pension.? We have lived in Australia since 1986 and we receive a part Aussie Pension.When you applied for your Aussie pension at 65,they would have sent you forms to fill out.Asking you if you if you are entitled to any other aged pensions,from any other countries,or any work related pensions. Centrelink sends letters off to the Uk to see what pensions you are entitled to.Then your Aussie Pension is calulated.You then recieve a Aussie pension Minus what u recieve from your other pensions.It seems that hasn't happened.you should contact Centerlink and inform them,as you should't be recieving a full Pension.And you may have to refund the Difference if any, back to Cenrelink.

My Husband and I have lived in OZ since 1991.In UK we had 25 years working life before migrating. However, now we are on the full Aussie pension and was wondering if it is beneficial to claim the UK one or not. We do not want to be worse off, but at the same time we may wish to relocate back to U K in the future. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

You should contact the British Pensions in Newcastle because you should be entitled to a part British Pension. Whether or not it will affect your Aussie pension or not - I'm not sure. I now receive the grand total of 70 quid a fortnight for the few years I worked in the UK. I was surprised to even receive that - very happy. We are self funded here so we don't receive an Aussie pension. The people I spoke to in Newcastle are very helpful.

I also have no clue how you can be receiving a full Oz pension yet Centrelink haven't made you claim for your UK one.

Are you sure you're on the Australian Age Pension - or is it some other pension paid for some other reason?

Edited to add:

Just read previous posts and it appears that the OP's husband is on a disability pension and the OP is on a carers pension.

Livvy7, how old are you and your husband? You can't claim for any UK pension until you're at least 65 - and possibly older depending on your Date of Birth.

Edited by NickyNook

You should contact the British Pensions in Newcastle because you should be entitled to a part British Pension. Whether or not it will affect your Aussie pension or not - I'm not sure. I now receive the grand total of 70 quid a fortnight for the few years I worked in the UK. I was surprised to even receive that - very happy. We are self funded here so we don't receive an Aussie pension. The people I spoke to in Newcastle are very helpful.

To respond to the replies here. We were given the option to either stay on disability or switch to pension. We opted for disability. Seems iv opened a can of worms.

Yes you are entitled to the UK pension and you shouldn't be worse off - Centrelink will reduce your aged pension by the amount of the UK pension so it should be even-stevens.

BUT I think you're in a sticky position. Centrelink require you to declare any entitlement to other pensions when you apply. If you didn't let them know you were entitled to a UK pension, you lied on your application form as far as they're concerned - and you've been overpaid the pension for however long you've been receiving it.

If you'd actually been receiving the UK pension, Centrelink would demand you refund the difference. I'm not sure if they will demand a refund considering you haven't actually been paid any UK pensions yet. But the longer you delay, the bigger that refund demand will be - so I would get it over with asap.

My ex's mother was in a similar situation. She was receiving a New Zealand war widow's pension, and didn't declare it (she was a bit of an airhead, frankly, so it was probably by mistake!). When she was about 80, Centrelink discovered it somehow - and she was sent a bill for several thousand dollars. She would've had to sell her flat to pay it, so eventually Centrelink agreed to let her pay it off a few dollars a week.

EDIT: I've just seen another post that you're not on the age pension, you're on disability/carer pensions. If they're not means-tested then they shouldn't be affected by the UK pension. But I would still sort things out smartish, just in case.

Edited by Marisawright

Yes you are entitled to the UK pension and you shouldn't be worse off - Centrelink will reduce your pension by the amount of the UK pension so it should be even-stevens.

BUT I think you're in a sticky position. Centrelink require you to declare any entitlement to other pensions when you apply. If you didn't let them know you were entitled to a UK pension, you effectively lied on your application form - and you've been overpaid the pension for however long you've been receiving it.

If you'd actually been receiving the UK pension, Centrelink would demand you refund the difference. I'm not sure if they will demand a refund considering you haven't actually been paid any UK pensions yet.

Not quite true, they won't stop the full amount, so you'd be better off.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/income

Edited by amibovered

To respond. We are both 65. We had an interview with centre link and given an option. Nothing was mentioned about UK. We have been in OZ that long it never occurred to us either. I was just wondering that's all.

To respond. We are both 65. We had an interview with centre link and given an option. Nothing was mentioned about UK. We have been in OZ that long it never occurred to us either. I was just wondering that's all.

If you'd opted to switch to the aged pension, they would've asked the question. But I would recommend you contact Centrelink and let them know, so everything's out in the open.

As Amibovered says, even if they do reduce your Aussie pension a bit, you will still end up with extra money in your pocket, so applying for the UK pension is well worthwhile.

Edited by Marisawright

If you'd opted to switch to the aged pension, they would've asked the question. But I would recommend you contact Centrelink and let them know, so everything's out in the open.

As Amibovered says, even if they do reduce your Aussie pension a bit, you will still end up with extra money in your pocket, so applying for the UK pension is well worthwhile.

But they may not reduce the Aus pension at all. Your last post was misleading. It is possible to receive the UK state pension and Aus pension and have neither reduced.

But they may not reduce the Aus pension at all. Your last post was misleading. It is possible to receive the UK state pension and Aus pension and have neither reduced.

Are you sure?.That isn't my understanding. Although we don't get any Australian pension yet, (don't qualify until July 2017),

I'm expecting to receive a reduced Australian Age Pension because we receive a UK Aged Pension. My understanding is that Australia will pay us the difference between both pensions, to bring us up to the level of the Australian pension.

Mike

Are you sure?.That isn't my understanding. Although we don't get any Australian pension yet, (don't qualify until July 2017),

I'm expecting to receive a reduced Australian Age Pension because we receive a UK Aged Pension. My understanding is that Australia will pay us the difference between both pensions, to bring us up to the level of the Australian pension.

Mike

I believe you are allowed to have an income, earned, interest, pensions and the like up to a certain figure before it affects your Aus pension once you reach this threshold your pension will reduce to the point where you become self financed.

I believe you are allowed to have an income, earned, interest, pensions and the like up to a certain figure before it affects your Aus pension once you reach this threshold your pension will reduce to the point where you become self financed.

Yes - as far as I know the UK state pension is treated just like any other income for the income test (generally $288 per fortnight for a couple):

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/income-test-pensions

Doesn't matter how long you've lived in Australia Centrelink will insist that you apply to UK overseas branch to find out if you are eligible for a UK pension and if you don't they say they will withhold any Australian pension that you are entitled to.

If you ever think of returning to the UK you are better off on the Age Pension with Centrelink as it's portable ie paid in the UK where as Disability benefit and Carer payments are not

Both pensions are means tested so,depending on how much you UK pension is you could loose a little bit off your Aussie pensions

If you get a full Uk pension you won't get much of an Aussie pension and if you get a part one they will deduct it from what you get here. I would be careful because if they find out you are entitled to a UK pension and haven't claimed they may seek back payments. They are nasty like that!

Can't you receive a state UK pension and the full Aus pension as long as the former (and other income) doesn't send you through the income test?

No. If you are entitled to an aged pension from any country other than Australia, you have to apply for that before you can apply for the Australian Aged pension. If you quality for the Australian Aged Pension, you will only receive the difference between what you are paid by UK and the full Australian Aged pension.

Mike

Correct.