Port Douglas or Palm Cove

richselina

Hi,

I am heading to Cairns for a week at the end of May and don't want to stay in Cairns, but am undecided on whether to stay at Palm Cove or Port Douglas.

While there I want to visit the Barrier Reef, Daintree and Kuranda.

All help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

Personally Port Douglas. Palm Cove is nice but has a man made feel. Port Douglas has more to do in and around town and closer to the Daintree and Cape Tribulation. There's also more types of accommodation in Port as it's known to the locals and plenty of trips heading to the Barrier a Reef. Enjoy, it's one of my favourite places on the planet!!

I've only stayed in a motor home whenever I visited but it's right by town and walking into town on an evening is a great plus as there's plenty to do and see too. Not sure the best place took but I know there's plenty of choice....

Guest The Pom Queen

It's a tough one, Port Douglas is lovely but it's going to be a pain for you to visit Kuranda. Why not split it, stay in PD and Palm Cove. PD is a perfect base for Trib, you can also do reef trips from there. If you want to do Green Island and the reef then you need to be closer to Cairns so in Palm Cove.

I didnt go to palm cove but port douglas is nice. Kuranda is a cool place too, i liked it there. If youre looking for a island that isnt very busy then we went to lowe island. I think its a less wwll known one. If you like wildlife then youll love north queensland. Port douglas had massive bats flying around the street before it was even properly dark

Port Douglas ! My favourite place ever. I stayed here many times - right in the centre - fabulous - ask for a place overlooking the pool though - otherwise you will overlook Macrossan street which is the main street. If you want to be close to everything pick something on Macrossan Street - I wouldn't stay in a resort out of town - just because I like to walk everywhere (not get taxis) and so much to see and do in Port Douglas - great restaurants and pubs - Go to the Iron Bark for the frog races - so much fun

http://www.villas.com/en-gb/australia/queensland/port-douglas/macrossan-house-boutique-holiday-apartments.html?aid=391668;label=English-EN-EMEA-KL_12856641248-oXGt32kGZvE*k7W9kUmANAS71586149288%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t3%3Aneg;sid=8026ff8fe6c341989e6f12075f00d9ed;dcid=1;dist=0;sb_price_type=total;srfid=d5921918b939fbd149aebee6db7e29eece53e906X1;type=total;ucfs=1&

Edited by dxboz

If you are thinking of Palm Cove then I would suggest Trinity Beach as an alternative, just south of PC, quieter location, fabulous beach and some nice restaurants. We have used Beachfront apartments on a number of occasions, never been disappointed. Bus stop within 100 metres of the Apartment block, Cairns in about 30 mins or so. Big shopping area about 10 mins by car towards Cairns.

Mike

If you are thinking of Palm Cove then I would suggest Trinity Beach as an alternative, just south of PC, quieter location, fabulous beach and some nice restaurants. We have used Beachfront apartments on a number of occasions, never been disappointed. Bus stop within 100 metres of the Apartment block, Cairns in about 30 mins or so. Big shopping area about 10 mins by car towards Cairns.

Mike

2nd that we really liked Trinity Beach, perhaps too quiet for some? but that's where we would go back to.