Terrible Night - Husband in Hospital

Guest Megss

Guest Megss

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to write this down as i can't really believe its happened!

For the week before we flew out to australia (hubby on business trip 1st week and i'm tagging along, then quick reccie 2nd week) Jon wasn't feeling very well - he had a headache that wouldn't budge, it wasn't a particularly bad headache, but the fact that it wouldn't go was worrying him as in 2004 he had a Brain Heamorrage and came pretty close to dying. The night before we left he was really panicking as he was getting very little sleep and was worried about the preassure on the areaplane. Anyway, since we arrived he's still not been feeling that great, but we put it down to a virus and jet lag - we havn't had hardly any sleep - him especially.

Our first day here he had to get up at 6am for a breakfast meeting, and got very little sleep in the night, he kept waking with a headache and general uncomfortablness. Then the second night he had to be up at 4am to fly to Sydney for a big presesntation (this was yesterday) and again he had no sleep at from 12am-4am.

So when he got back from Sydney yesterday afternoon i was expecting him to be completely exhausted, but it was the last business meeting so he could relax now and hopefully recover. However when it came to bedtime he fell asleep on the bed and i crept about trying not to wake him, but he woke suddenly after about 20mins saying he felt really unwell, and he was really panicking. I was saying to him what i have been saying all week - you've got a virus, jet lag and exhaustion, thats all. But he became convinced that if he lay down again he would pass out and stop breathing. I tried to calm him down and make him see logic but he wasn't get any calmer.

Eventually i asked him if he wanted to find a doctor, and he said yes, and i was having a bit of a flaff as i had no idea how to find one, as it was late at night and whilst all this was happening the fire alarm went off in the hotel - adding to the sense off panic. Eventually i called the business associate who had also flown over from the UK for the meetings and was staying with the other business guy who lives up the road - i was in a bit of a state by this stage, in tears, and felt awful about waking people, but Jon wanted me to do something. The business partner rang me back and said theyd called a 24hr dr, but then next thing i know they've called an Ambulance!!! Which added to the panic aswell as i really felt were going to be wasting thier time - but Jon was terrified and crying, thinking he was going to die.

The ambulance arrived alomst immiadiatly, and they monitored his heart and blood preassure which was quite high. Then they said they thought it best he went in to hospital to be checked over, but they said its purely precautional as all his vital signs are good.

Just as they were putting him in the ambulance strapped to a bed with oxygen mask on and heart monitor, the two Business associates arrived, and it really looked bad! I was very tearful (just the shock of it all and being in a strange country alone) and tried to explain that i think its nothing, just extreme exhaustion. The guy who lives here gave me his mobile number and told me to call him when we needed picking up from hosiptal, which turned out to be 25mins drive away (Nambour)!!

So when we got to the hosiptal they did various tests on him, and i think everything looked good. I spoke to the Dr, who said at the moment they are putting it down to extreme stress and exhaustion. They put him on a drip and gave him some strong pain killers to help him rest, and booked him in for a cat scan in the morning. She then told me i had to go home, so i had to ring this guy i'd only just met to ask him to pick me up, it was now 2am!! He came and picked me up bless him, i felt awful, i could of got a taxi but it would have cost a fortune and to be honest i was feeling pretty scared and lonely.

Anyway, its now morning, i've spoken to the hospital and they said he's been up and about and had some breakfast, now they're just waiting for th scan, but they can't give me any indication of how long it will be. I really want to be there with him, but i don't want to bother the business guys again, although they are expecting a call. I've been considering hiring a car for the last 2 days of our stay here on the sunshone coast, so that i can go up and get him by myself, as i have no idea how long he'll be yet. I'm also obvioulsy a bit nervous about the cat scan, as although i'm about 80% theres nothing wrong with him, theres always a possibility.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, i feel a little calmer now, i havnt had a lot of sleep and feel pretty lonely. I know that these two business associates will help whenever i need it, but i feel awful putting them out anymore than i already have!!!

The good news is though that i'm very impressed withe the hospital and ambos, and i was worrying about cost and if travel insurance, but it turns out its all covered under the reciprocal health care agreement - even the ambulance - which i was told would cost me $650!!!

Meg

xx

Guest The Pom Queen

Oh Meg you poor thing, I wish you were here in Melbourne and I would come round and take you to the hospital and stay with you. I will keep my fingers crossed that everything is ok and if you want to pm me your number I can give you a call if you just want someone to chat to.

Big Hugs and keep strong.

Oh my god hope everything goes ok sorry I cannot help as we are in Perth, I hope there is someone on here that may be able to give you some support, I will be keeping my fingers cossed for you both.

Take care,

Marina.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Meg

I am so sorry to read all this. You must be terribly shocked.

Honey, tell the hotel to call a taxi for you and tell them it must be a taxi firm who will give you a receipt. You will be able to claim all the taxi fares back from the travel insurance if you keep the receipts. I've been in this situation myself and I was astounded by how much the insurers paid for - without a squeak, I might add.

Look at the travel insurance documents. There is nearly always a 24 hour number you can call to tell them what has happened. I don't think trying to drive yourself around in a place you don't know is necessary, nor is the hassle of organising a hire car.

You may find that you will have to defer your flight home, but again the travel insurance should pick up ALL the costs of accommodation, taxis, phone calls to anywhere in the world etc whilst Jon recovers enough to have a stress-free flight home.

I promise you - I couldn't believe how good they were when OH &I drove down to Gibraltar one year and I ended up in hozzie for 10 days there. The doctor said I was in no fit state to drive all the way back to the UK and that was that. The car was shipped back, we flew back and the travel insurers paid THE LOT. Plus all of the incidentials like phone calls etc whilst I was in hozzy, plus the extra nights for OH in the hotel.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Megss

Thanks everyone - and Gill thanks for the information - its reasurring to know that if it comes to it we will be covered.

A small update - I spoke to Jon, he's waiting to see a consultant who will decide if he needs the scan or not. I am hoping he won't - and if he doesn't he's going to get a taxi back by himself. I feel bad, like i ought to be there, and if he does need a scan then i will try and get there.

I just feel so miserable that our trip has turned out like this, and even if it does turn out to be nothing, i'm still worried that he's still going to be feeling poorly and exhausted and we won't be able to enjoy the rest of our holiday. I just want him to be better now, its really getting me down, which i feel really selfish saying, but everytime for the last week or so he says he still has a headache my heart drops. Its really hard at night time because he isn't sleeping which means i'm not sleeping either. I just want him to come back from the hospital feeling reassured that there is nothing seriously wrong with him and that he just needs to get some rest.

Meg

xx

Guest The Pom Queen

We will all keep our fingers crossed. Please tell him that the jetlag really does get to you when you arrive, it took us 3 weeks to be able to sleep properly.

Big hugs

I'm very sorry to hear all that Meg, I'm sure everything will work out for you soon, don't feel guilty of asking the two fellows for assistance, I'm sure they would appreciate help themselves if the boot was on the other foot.

OMG wish i was nearer ,even if it was only to pop in ,make sure your ok and have a brew and a chat,,come on sunny coast poms in ozzers ,are any of you near Meggs(whee exactly are you staying meggs),reakon she needs a big PIO Cuddle !!!!,for now im sending you a cyber one ,please dont feel stuck,you are free to PM me for my phone number and if anything else does happen ,ill come and help you best i can ,may take an hour or so to get to you but i cant see anyone stuck,try and enjoy the rest of your holiday can you not book you both into a nice relaxing spa and get pampered for the day? good luck with everything

Cal x

Guest Bebe

Hi Meg,

So sorry to hear about Jon!

I know how worried you must be. Lee had a bleed last year and ever since I worry if he has a headache for more than a day or is not helped by paracetamol.

I'm sure they will take no chances and wont let him out unless they are sure he's OK and by the sound of things he could do with that bit of reassurance himself!

If help has been offered TAKE IT!! You dont need any more stress or worry at this time and I'd take bets that you haven't had much sleep worrying about Jon.

My thoughts are with you both.

Let us know how things are going.

Stacy

Guest Megss

Aw GUYS! You've got me welling up again!!

Well the good news is in, consultant was happy there was no need for a scan, and had a long chat with Jon, and on the phone he sounded better and calmer than he has in days. Best of all he's been given a prescription of something to help him sleep! And he's on his way home in a taxi!!

Considering i thought the ambulance was going to be $650 i'm happy to pay for the taxi, but may try and claim it on the travel insurance.

Thanks so much guys, its so great to feel there are so many people around who want to help! I'm off out to grab some cash from an ATM for taxi driver as poor Jon has nothing on him!

I can't wait to see him! I watched PS I Love you on the plane on the way over, and i haven't been able to get it out of my head all night...so i'm so relieved.

Meg

xx

Guest Bebe

:smile:I'm glad to hear the good news!!

Now sleep well and enjoy the rest of your Hols!:SLEEP::SLEEP:

Stacy xx

Guest mandy1

Hi Meg

Hope all's well now-what a nightmare! Good Luck to you both-things can only get better hun!

Mandy x

Guest itskaren

Hi Meg

I really wish we lived in your area. We are in Melbourne i would come up and stay with you and give you lifts etc.

I have been in a similar situartion myself with a child in a different country so now exactly how you feel.

I really wish you all the luck. Karen x

Guest The Pom Queen

Superb news!!!! Tell him to get some rest whilst you provide him with lots of TLC.

Hi Megs

I feel for you and im glad you fella is on the mend. Just recently my mam has been having awful headaches..anyway after loads of tests they concluded it was migraines...anyway a few weeks later she rang me to say she felt like she was going to die...one hit her like a thunderclap...so much it really scared the life out of her...she stayed in bed for 4 days!!!

Anyway she is fine now....so you never know it could just have been a nasty migraine and nothing sinister..

Try and enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Bex

Guest Lui A xxx

Hi Meg.......thank goodness its turned out ok.........!!!!..........just try and enjoy the rest of your time away..........thinking of you both..........xxx.......

Take care....xxx

Luan

xxx

Guest creakybones

Hi Meg

So sorry to hear about your husband - you must have been in such a panic. Fingers x for a speedy recovery. God bless

Maria

Guest kdal

Dear Megs, I am so sorry to hear about Jon but pleased all is well. You both need to relax together now and take it slow.

My heart goes out to you both

Big hugs

Kimxx

Hi Megs..i am so sorry to hear the news but am pleased for you that jon is out of hospital now. I Hope he gets better soon.

I know exactly what you have just been through. we went to sydney at christmas and my 7 year old daughter was taken seriously ill on the flight from hong kong. She ended up being taken to hospital by ambulance when we arrived and had to stay in for 4 days.(great christmas!!). She is okay now and I cannot fault the hospital staff or ambulance crew for all their wonderful help. They were so friendly and reassuring. I was scared and frightened being in a new country not more than 1 hour before it all happened. But in hindsight Amy got better care in oz than she would have done in our local hosptial thats for sure.. Poor poor you. Luckily for the both of us things have turned out ok in the end. Think positively that like with us, the bad parts have happened at the begining of your trip and you can now chill for a while. Make the most of the R and R down in bulli (you will love it) you wont find a better place to relax..skippy will vouch with me on that one. Take care both of you..will be thinking of you. enjoy the rest of your stay.

best wishes and love

RVN

Guest roma 1

dear Meg,

sorry to hear about your oh and glad he is ok.My oh had to have an ambulance and go into hospital in Adelaide. He had a kidney stone (we didn,t know that at the time ) and it was really scary so i know how you felt. The staff there were great and let me visit anytime of the day. Always had a cheery hello for me.

please pm me if you want a chat. As you can see from the kind other posts you are not alone Meg,

best of luck, gail x

I am not far from Nambour if you need anything just call me !!!! I will get there asap day or night..I will pm you with my numbers

Hope everything works out for you both

Jo x

Hi Meg

I hope that your husband is feeling much better today and that you will find some time to look around Oz before you come back to UK.

That is what I love about this site, we are all complete strangers and yet there is always someone who is willing to help or lend a hand if you need anything.

Hope all is well soon.

Debbie

x

Guest pag44

Hi Megs

Just catching up with this thread and have tears in my eyes. I am so glad that Jon is ok, how terrifying for you both.

The kindness shown by the people on this site is overwhelming.

Hope you can now relax and enjoy the rest of your stay.

Michelle

xxx

Archived