Parley

Should we be worried about African gangs in Australia ?

Most robberies are opportunist/spur of the moment things. Desperate people doing it on their own doorsteps. Plus, if you go robbing in affluent areas, you are likely to stick out like a sore thumb (appearance, hair style, dress, demeanour) and you know the police will investigate hard. In less affluent areas, the police are overworked and you know the crime report will just get put in a pile.

What does the average robber look like then ?

Most robberies are opportunist/spur of the moment things. Desperate people doing it on their own doorsteps. Plus, if you go robbing in affluent areas, you are likely to stick out like a sore thumb (appearance, hair style, dress, demeanour) and you know the police will investigate hard. In less affluent areas, the police are overworked and you know the crime report will just get put in a pile.

Plenty of people out there who rob for a living, nothing random about it.

Some states have introduced laws against outlaw motorcycle clubs. I don't think anywhere has laws about gangs in general.

Damn it, if only they rode bikes! I think the laws covered any groups organised to commit illegal acts. But as you say, it should be a federal initiative.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

I know what you are saying. But these are organised gangs. It would be okay if they only targeted poor people. The fact that they are going looking for rich people means we need to take this seriously and nip it in the butt.

I know what you are saying. But these are organised gangs. It would be okay if they only targeted poor people. The fact that they are going looking for rich people means we need to take this seriously and nip it in the butt.

Just re-read your comment and can't believe you wrote that.

Why would it be okay if poor people got robbed but not rich people ?

Did you really mean that ?

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

This is not an attack on your race so don't get all defensive.

Why would it be okay for people to criticise other races but not criticise my own race ?

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship

I don't know what you are getting at.

I don't know what you are getting at.

What I'm getting at is the implication from your post that when people attack black people, I should just stand back and ignore it because it doesn't affect me.

The way I see it is I am British and Australian. I live in Melbourne. When people attack British people, Australian people and people who live in Melbourne, they are attacking my community. Therefore it is very much my business. Having said that, I hope I would stand up for people's rights and dignity even if they were not part of my community. If I were a Christian, I might remember the Good Samaritan.

• Like 1

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship

What I'm getting at is the implication from your post that when people attack black people, I should just stand back and ignore it because it doesn't affect me.

The way I see it is I am British and Australian. I live in Melbourne. When people attack British people, Australian people and people who live in Melbourne, they are attacking my community. Therefore it is very much my business. Having said that, I hope I would stand up for people's rights and dignity even if they were not part of my community. If I were a Christian, I might remember the Good Samaritan.

Actually the black people are attacking us.

With baseball bats.

Actually the black people are attacking us.

With baseball bats.

My best friend is black and she has never attacked me with a baseball bat. But perhaps I will wear a crash helmet next time I see her, just in case.

What these nasty little creeps in the gangs don't even consider is the absolute trauma they cause to some of the older people they attack. So much so that some are no longer able to live alone. Always here people have sympathy for the criminals ( bad homes, don't know any better, violent upbringing, failure to assimilate etc etc ad nauseam) What about thinking of the poor victims for a change? Rich or poor, doesn't matter. They deserve better.

The law here needs to get a helluva lot tougher dealing with all types of gangs.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

Why would it be okay if poor people got robbed but not rich people ?

Oh god, I'm sorry, I thought that was the point of this thread?

My best friend is black and she has never attacked me with a baseball bat. But perhaps I will wear a crash helmet next time I see her, just in case.

Brilliant!

Oh my god! My car share is black! She's Scottish but her father was African. I've seen her congregating with other people. Could I be in danger?

No for the same reason ISIS are not really a danger because you also know a nice muslim.

Of course it is makes perfect sense that because there are non violent black people it must be true that there is absolutely nothing to worry about with the growing threat of black African gangs.

And of course. The mafia and Italian organised crime is not a problem because there are also law abiding Italians.

I'm sure there are others I can think of.

Edited by parleycross

No for the same reason ISIS are not really a danger because you also know a nice muslim.

Of course it is makes perfect sense that because there are non violent black people it must be true that there is absolutely nothing to worry about with the growing threat of black African gangs.

And of course. The mafia and Italian organised crime is not a problem because there are also law abiding Italians.

I'm sure there are others I can think of.

Bikies, Eastern European, lawn bowls...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." :biggrin:

That doesn't actually make any sense.

Perthbum was saying there's a higher level of criminal activity in the UK. Of course there is, it's got a much bigger population, so there's bound to be more criminals! What matters is what the crime rate is per head of population. The trouble is, I can't find anything that compares that. I can't see why there would be much difference.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I

Perthbum was saying there's a higher level of criminal activity in the UK. Of course there is, it's got a much bigger population, so there's bound to be more criminals! What matters is what the crime rate is per head of population. The trouble is, I can't find anything that compares that. I can't see why there would be much difference.

UK statistic apparently is that Boston lincs has the highest UK per capita murder rate. This is/was a nice Market Town, not a big city, my husband's home town, can't believe how it has disintegrated.

Doesn't answer your question Marisa just pointing out that a statistic doesn't necessarily relate to size of the population.

Just replying to Marisa's point, sorry not relevant to original question

Edited by ramot

Given this thread is about African gangs in Australia, what relevance does the murder rate in the UK have to do with the topic.

This thread is not about murders anywhere.

Given this thread is about African gangs in Australia, what relevance does the murder rate in the UK have to do with the topic.

This thread is not about murders anywhere.

Sorry didn't put my edit on quickly enough, was just picking up on a point made about size of population.

I don't worry about African Gangs or any other Gangs for that matter. Seems our lifestyle these days means we have to live alongside all sorts of unruly people. If we are going to worry about it we might as well just stay in the house and never go out. Obviously people need to be wary and not wander around on their own up dark alleys in the middle of the night but that has not changed its called common sense to keep near a street light, if not for an attack, one might just trip over and hit head.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

I don't worry about African Gangs or any other Gangs for that matter. Seems our lifestyle these days means we have to live alongside all sorts of unruly people. If we are going to worry about it we might as well just stay in the house and never go out. Obviously people need to be wary and not wander around on their own up dark alleys in the middle of the night but that has not changed its called common sense to keep near a street light, if not for an attack, one might just trip over and hit head.

Haven't you heard about the home invasions ?

Haven't you heard about the home invasions ?

So, is it just home invasions from African gangs you are worried about? Do they need special security measures that differ to other types of home invasion?