Australia - What brought you here / what keeps you here?

What brought me here?

was to get away from the political correctness in the UK which became stifling plus seeing the country being overrun by asylum seekers,more like economic rapist migrants.from a particular faith

what makes me stay for now?

the reasons above as I have three daughters and I don't want them to be in a position like what happened in Rotherham, Bristol and cologne, plus a lot more places in the eu and England.I won't apologise for that as they are scary facts.

plus I will wait on the referendum of the UK leaving Europe.i really hope they bloody do. Vote leave you know it makes sense.

The facts are Australia has a very high rate of sexual assault, far higher than the UK http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/07/17/sexual-assault-how-common-it-australia

The facts are Australia has a very high rate of sexual assault, far higher than the UK http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/07/17/sexual-assault-how-common-it-australia

I suspect that he is only concerned about sexual assaults by muslim men......which are so much worse than sexual assaults by non-muslims as any Daily Mail/Express/Sun etc reader (fool) will tell you.

Hmmm, hard to remember what brought us here - I guess a bit of a mid-life crisis! I have always had dual nationality, and really don't like the cold - wanted to hibernate through most of the autumn and winter in the UK, and got ulcers on my fingers from the cold every year. Plus we were both working full time - wages in one day, wages out the next to pay the bills. Paying someone else to look after our children and seeing so many of our friends splitting up or having affairs. We'd got the paperwork a couple of years previously when SA was looking for automotive manufacturing engineers, but not done anything about it, until one day my husband was visiting an office of the company he worked for and asked "Where's Brian?" Turned out Brian had emigrated to Adelaide a year or so previously, OH dropped him an email to see how he was doing and was told if he was interested, there would probably be a job out here for him. The car industry at the time in the UK was in dire straits, so a skype interview and 12 weeks later, we had sold the house, caravan, cars, boats and motorbikes, and arrived in Adelaide.

What keeps us here? Well, obviously the automotive manufacturing industry here is now up a creek without a paddle, but the kids were lucky enough to get scholarships to a pretty good private school and are now both in further education - both doing what they love. We are lucky that both sets of parents have until recently been fit and wealthy enough to visit us every year, although I fear those days are over now. OH's current contract ends next year, so after that who knows? We're still not quite old enough - and nowhere near rich enough - to retire, so will need to find some sort of work for him to do for a few years yet. There is always the possibility that there might be opportunity back in the UK, so that may be on the cards.

So what brought us here was a mid life crisis, and what keeps us here is probably laziness. I really don't like change and the thought of having to declutter all over again to be able to move is pretty horrendous!

Where does it state it's far higher?maybe per capita,but I would rather trust my daughters chances walking around Brighton South Australia after the bars close or walking the dog over Blackburn/Bradford/ burnley.

We moved for the job - offered an interesting role in a very good company with some amazing perks - work for 4 years and then could go and do a fully funded phd full time and on full salary.

Left for pretty much the same reason - work, or lack of in Oz and more in the UK.

What kept us there has though proved interesting. We stayed 8 years mainly because I assumed my wife wanted to. What I didn't know was she was thinking the same about me

the first time i came it was for the adventure & to experience living & working somewhere outside europe. the second time i came was cause i realised i missed the outdoor lifestyle i had in oz. also my ozzie hubby didnt like living in the uk & even though he would of stayed there for me i knew he was miserable even though he tried to hide it. we stay cause we have a lifestyle here we enjoy. the only thing i miss is my family but they are talking about leaving europe themselves so soon there will be no reason to even go back for visits.

What brought me here – my Australian husband. I met him when I was travelling around Australia, I had lived in Sydney for a year and been back as a tourist a couple of times. He said he’d visit me in Germany, and he did and ended up staying for 15 years.

The deal was that we would move ‘back’ to Australia eventually, so that’s what we did 7 years ago.

What keeps me here – my Australian husband. His job prospects are better over here (for now), and this place is his home (although he likes Europe as well). I would move back to Europe in a heartbeat. For me personally, it offers so much more: VARIETY, landscapes no less interesting or beautiful than here, better/cheaper travel opportunities, family & friends. And a feeling of connectedness that I don’t have here – I don’t know why, but most of Australia leaves me totally cold. I like travelling OZ, just don’t want to live here.

I originally made a decision to travel here for a holiday in 2004. I tried every which way to get over here but at that time the restrictions were too hard. I fell in love with Perth and had a great time there. A couple of Australian boyfriends and several years later, I am here. I enjoy it and the lifestyle. I do miss home, (UK & Europe) badly, but I try to go back every year for 6 weeks to 3 months, except for this year as I am going to NZ.

I don't see myself going back anytime soon but I won't be buying property here, I can buy something small in the UK, much more affordable