457 to RSMS (subclass 187) age limit.

Hi

I've just been offered a 457 visa contracting for a recruitment agency in Sydney with the project I'm working on possibly lasting 3 years.

They have also stated they also don't sponsor contractors for PR.

The problem is that I'm currently 48 (and a bit) and fully aware of the age limit on PR applications.

I assume the best route to PR will be to secure another job in regional Australia and apply for an RSMS (subclass 187) visa.

Can anyone confirm that if by some miracle I'm able to get another position in regional Australia, an employer who is willing to sponsor me and a successful skills assessment/IELTS score I can apply for an RSMS visa (PR) right up until I turn 50?

Can I also take the skills assessment and IELTS test without having an offer of sponsorship so I can get these out of the way given the timescale.

And finally would they have to take on my 457 visa and then transfer to an RSMS visa, or apply directly for an RSMS visa?

Cheers in advance

S.

A few things to comments on. Firstly I don't understand the point that they don't sponsor contractors for PR, well what I don't get is how they can sponsor a contractor for a 457 even. It isn't possible, you have to be an employee, so can you confirm whose employee you would be if you are only contracting to this company?

At age 48, I assume you cannot get the points for a skilled migrant visa? It does get very hard after age 45 and if you cannot get th r points then yes you would need to go employer sponsored. Is there any reason you are focused on the RSMS visa? Finding a job in a regional area is generally a bit harder than finding a job in a metro area? But in actual fact, it would be incredibly difficult to find an employer willing to sponsor you for a permanent visa off the bat anyway. Most would prefer to keep you on the temporary visa, it is quicker, easier and ties you to them.

There is no reason you could not get the skills assessment lined up so that you are ready to go if you did find a willing employer.

A few things to comments on. Firstly I don't understand the point that they don't sponsor contractors for PR, well what I don't get is how they can sponsor a contractor for a 457 even. It isn't possible, you have to be an employee, so can you confirm whose employee you would be if you are only contracting to this company?

At age 48, I assume you cannot get the points for a skilled migrant visa? It does get very hard after age 45 and if you cannot get th r points then yes you would need to go employer sponsored. Is there any reason you are focused on the RSMS visa? Finding a job in a regional area is generally a bit harder than finding a job in a metro area? But in actual fact, it would be incredibly difficult to find an employer willing to sponsor you for a permanent visa off the bat anyway. Most would prefer to keep you on the temporary visa, it is quicker, easier and ties you to them.

There is no reason you could not get the skills assessment lined up so that you are ready to go if you did find a willing employer.

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know they won't sponsor contractors because they cannot guarantee future employment as it's all contract work; which as I understand it is part of the sponsorship criteria for permanent visas.

And I was looking at the RSMS visa as you don't have to wait two years before applying as per the other visa types; seeing as I only really have around 18 months left until I reach the age limit.

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know they won't sponsor contractors because they cannot guarantee future employment as it's all contract work; which as I understand it is part of the sponsorship criteria for permanent visas.

And I was looking at the RSMS visa as you don't have to wait two years before applying as per the other visa types; seeing as I only really have around 18 months left until I reach the age limit.

Well I agree they cannot sponsor contractors, that is what I said. But they cannot sponsor contractors on any visa, the permanent on e or the 457 was my point. You have to be an employee not a contractor.

There are two permanent employer sponsored visas, the 186 and the 187 (RSMS). Neither require you to spend two years with the employer, there is a direct entry stream for people that have not been with the employer for two years.

It sounds like you're getting the word 'contractor' mixed up. What the company means is that they put their employees on a fixed term contract, depending on the types of business. So you would work for the company but just on a fixed term contract.

Archived