Whats your hidden gem?

VERYSTORMY

• 11 months later...
15 hours ago, Toots said:

Crovie, Aberdeenshire    -    though I wouldn't like to be in one of those houses during a storm.

crovie.jpg

Is don't know. One of the most amazing nights of my life was in the Bay Hotel at Roins Hoods Bay at a high tide in a sever storm. The waves were coming well over the roof and I sat in the bar watching everything from starfish to pebbles swirling around me through the windows. Pretty amazing. 

• Like 2

There is an ancient stone circle and a burial ground way out in a field off an old  track.... nobody ever goes there even though most local people know about it  I go to it often as its a lovely country walk.  Pretty amazing place, like something from a movie set....a bit creepy if you go on a misty day...  I just love UK so many hidden treasures to see. 

• Like 3

These standing stones are 5,000 years old and are in a field near where I grew up.   My little friends and I used to play in a sort of underground chamber close to the stones.  Many of the stones were used over the centuries to build houses and dykes but those ones still remain.

Cairnholy 

cairnholy.jpg

• Like 3

Mine is Knettishall Heath on the Suffolk/Norfolk border. Its a country park which joins up with Elveden Forest and where the Peddars Way walk starts. Used to go there lots as kids, swim in the river and jump off the weir and do the many walks through the woods. Took my kids there in 2016 whilst on holiday and it was still as magical as ever. The bridge in the picture below is known as 'red arch' and there are wild horses in the woods too....which stampede towards you then veer off...luckily! It looks just as good in the snow too! With all the mind blowing things I come across in my job in the Tech/Innovation industry its simple things like this that have a bigger/lasting impact on me!

Knetty Heath Snow.jpg

Red Arch.jpg

Edited by wattsy1982
  • Like 3

The Ochil hills, right on the southern fringe of the Scottish Highlands.  We're lucky enough to live on a farm in the foothills, and frequently walk up there.  The first photo is near Glendevon in December, the second is Dollar Glen last month.  It is absolutely stunning, particularly the drive through from Muckhart towards Gleneagles.

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LKC said:

The Ochil hills, right on the southern fringe of the Scottish Highlands.  We're lucky enough to live on a farm in the foothills, and frequently walk up there.  The first photo is near Glendevon in December, the second is Dollar Glen last month.  It is absolutely stunning, particularly the drive through from Muckhart towards Gleneagles.

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

you lucky so and so ?.....i can get you some pics of the m6 near Walsall if you want ?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, LKC said:

Sunrise on the farm this morning, not edited at all just straight off my phone.  I'm not even mad that OH woke me up before dawn with his snoring!

IMG_0650.JPG

ahhh those pink skies .....sunset over loch shiel in may ,and the vivid pink sky ,is something I will never forget

On 29/04/2018 at 22:23, Perthbum said:

There is a massive ancient wood near me that has a carpet of bluebells coming out just now, never see anyone when I take my dog on a walk, its better than this photo...will take a photo next week.

Image result for BLUEBELL WOODS

Stunning 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

My sister from Edinburgh is on holiday with us just now and she was telling me about Dean Village.  I remember walking through the village over 40 years ago with my brother when he was a student at Edinburgh Uni.  

Dean Village was a prosperous hamlet for over 800 years.  What's left of it is a 19th century village that was famous for its water mills utilising the strong currents of the city's river Leith.  It's close to the city centre and just a 5 minute walk from Princes Street. 

dean1.jpg

dean2.jpg

dean3.jpg

dean4.jpg

dean5.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Toots said:

My sister from Edinburgh is on holiday with us just now and she was telling me about Dean Village.  I remember walking through the village over 40 years ago with my brother when he was a student at Edinburgh Uni.  

Dean Village was a prosperous hamlet for over 800 years.  What's left of it is a 19th century village that was famous for its water mills utilising the strong currents of the city's river Leith.  It's close to the city centre and just a 5 minute walk from Princes Street. 

dean1.jpg

dean2.jpg

dean3.jpg

dean4.jpg

dean5.jpg

Gosh, I've been to Edinburgh numerous times and didn't know about this. It's stunning 😍

• Like 1