Advice needed on suburbs in Melbourne!

Beanigan

I'm going to be working at the airport, also working shifts so trying to find somewhere with suitable childcare also! proving more difficult than expected.

I am in serviced apartment in Flemington initially provided by work and then looking to find a place in August in preparation for my partner and boy arriving in September.

We also still have so much to do! Moonee ponds west is our first choice but we have heard its full and May not be the space to take our son so we're writing out a list now too!

When are you going? I thought if you lived in the school zone then that school were obliged to take the children? Have you heard this? Congratulations on the job ! We have to find some temporary accomodation or stay further afield with family...

When are you going? I thought if you lived in the school zone then that school were obliged to take the children? Have you heard this? Congratulations on the job ! We have to find some temporary accomodation or stay further afield with family...

It is technically true that you have a right to go to a school you are zoned for. However, I understand that the school can refuse you a place if the class is full. There are maximum class size restrictions in Victoria and if the class is full then you are a priority for the next place - but they do not have to start a class of 1 to accommodate you. Wembley Primary is a good school. You will find that the Carlton schools are very tight on zoning and rents are much higher.

If you are going to work at the RCH and want to ride then I'd be concentrating on Moonee Ponds/ Ascot Vale/ Kensington.

Yeah I had heard this initially but when I dug a little deeper I discovered that if the school is at capacity, then you won't be given a place. I've Been led to believe that Moonee Ponds west is at capacity, if not over subscribed. I'm moving on 23rd June so as soon as I check out some schools I will let you know

It is technically true that you have a right to go to a school you are zoned for. However, I understand that the school can refuse you a place if the class is full. There are maximum class size restrictions in Victoria and if the class is full then you are a priority for the next place - but they do not have to start a class of 1 to accommodate you. Wembley Primary is a good school. You will find that the Carlton schools are very tight on zoning and rents are much higher.

If you are going to work at the RCH and want to ride then I'd be concentrating on Moonee Ponds/ Ascot Vale/ Kensington.

What is Kensington like to live in? Kensington Primary school has good ratings and has cheaper wrap around care and only 30 mins walk to work!

• 1 month later...
What is Kensington like to live in? Kensington Primary school has good ratings and has cheaper wrap around care and only 30 mins walk to work!

I would happily live in Kensington. It has a lot of inner city vibe - cafes, restaurants, etc. It is close to the CBD with excellent transport links. A lot of pretty, older property about that I imagine would have character but be harder to heat and smaller than some of the modern properties on the outskirts. I had always assumed Kensington would be expensive so never given it much thought, but it has a pretty factor. Like most places in the west of Melbourne, there is racial diversity. I see that as a positive.

Hey Beanigan,

Was wondering when you make the move? I've just got here and been exploring. Gonna try some schools to look at after the holidays. I can PM you my number if you wanna chat when you get here?

Aileen

Thank you Aileen - feel free to PM me, would love to hear how your getting on. Our 457 is delayed, looking at September now!

• 7 months later...

Hi Beanigan

We are also moving to Melbourne this July and I have a job in Epping and my wife has got an offer in Hoppers Crossing. So we are looking to live somewhere in the middle. Where did you end up living finally and how are you finding the school? And could you also give me your opinion on the places now that you have been there for few months? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Beanigan

We are also moving to Melbourne this July and I have a job in Epping and my wife has got an offer in Hoppers Crossing. So we are looking to live somewhere in the middle. Where did you end up living finally and how are you finding the school? And could you also give me your opinion on the places now that you have been there for few months? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm now here and have been in Melbourne since September. We stayed in Travancore initially and are now in Moonee Ponds which is fab. My children go to Moonee Ponds Primary school and they love it. it is a fantastic school. If you have a job in Epping and your wife is working in Hoppers Crossing then that is quite some distance away from each other. You both don't want to be spending hours and hours in the car every day! Do you have children? as theat would make a huge difference. My husband works in Glen Iris and living in Moonee ponds means he spends 90 mins in the car each way every day - traffic is hell here! I work in Parkville and cycle there so door to door no more 20 mins. You'll find people raving about Point Cook out West and if thats your cup of tea then you may like it. Its a new build housing estate and the infrastructure is being built now. A bit like Telford! I'd rather move to somewhere a bit more central to enjoy all Melbourne has to offer than to a housing estate as you may as well move to a housing estate in the UK but that's just my opinion. Also Sunshine isn't as lovely as it sounds, may be best to avoid that area too. Keilor, Niddrie, Essendon, Airport West may suit you both - great areas and not too far into the city. That may work and Essendon has some of the best schools in Melbourne if you do have kids. The schools have before and after school clubs so that could work?