Home!!!!!!

Sapphire

I havent posted on here for ages,but I just wanted to give you a quick update

We arrived home in December after a very long 8 years of not enjoying life in Aus for lots of reasons

It was a real struggle to get home,selling property,and just everything seemed to be against us,but we got there in the end.

We used Grace removals,who were excellent,packers were wonderful,however our container took 12 weeks,which was a nightmare.Melbourne to Tilbury.

When our container was delivered to our house,the unpackers this end,saw a cobweb,,,,,threw thier hands up in the air,and then told us,that the container was going tohave to be taken away and fumigated,would take 3 weeks and be in excess of 5000 pounds.I checked the cobweb,and there was no sign of life,could of so easily of been there,when it was loaded.After a very heated discussion, the guys obviously realised I was not going to accept what they were saying,and promptly unloaded,,,,,we were very lucky,,,,,so anyone heading home,be on your guard,as this may be a bit of a money maker for companies this end.

Other than that,we have settled well.A few wobbles,especially trying to get credit card and car insurance.

Finding a reasonably priced decent car for a runaround caused a few headaches,but we got lucky.

I have had a few panicky moments,trying to sort things out and did for a whole 24 hours feel like running back to Aus,as we came up against a few hurdles,and I think I was so tired ,Aus seemed like an easier option,but when I put my sensible head back on,I was fine.

We love being home,it just feels like we have never been away now.We are loving the weather,the rain just feels so clean,the air so fresh,and to see all the spring flowers,is just fantastic.

People are just so nice,no nosiness,no hidden adgendas,just pleasantly passing the time of day

We are a little bit shocked at the amount of Eastern Europeans,everywhere,but they dont seem to bother anyone too much.

I cant think of anything I really dislike.

Prices are variable,some things do seem more expensive,but not much.Im still converting into dollars,,,lol....and I went to write a pound sign the other day and realised I had written a dollar sign,,,I dont think my brain knows where i am :)

All in all,we have no regrets.I dont miss Australia one bit,

It all seems like a bad dream now,We are so happy to be home.

Good Luck to anyone returning home,its a wonderful feeling

Edited by Sapphire
bad grammer

Happy you are settling so well.

We have also now returned home after 8 years and are loving being back. We were lucky to have not had too many bumps in the move yet - other than not being able to afford to ship our things, so we have landed back with a suitcase each - and the dog, whose bed took up half of one suitcase lol.

But, we are all established now - only taken a month.

We have also now returned home after 8 years and are loving being back. We were lucky to have not had too many bumps in the move yet - other than not being able to afford to ship our things, so we have landed back with a suitcase each - and the dog, whose bed took up half of one suitcase lol.

Great news you are home safe and settling in.

We had alot of our doggies things in our cases and we had virtually no clothes or things for us,as doggie beds and toys took up most of the room:)

But is is amazing to be home,and loving every minute.

Proper Fish and chips for the first time was heaven,and our old chinese still serves the most fab food,so we are enjoying that

The supermarkets are amazing,so much choice and food tastes so different.

Wonderful to have double glazing and central heating and being somewhere that feels like home at long last.

Loving every minute:)

Ain't bad is it....:cute: Weather is ****. Wait till the long night summer nights come, you will love it.

We have been very impressed with the weather. It is a legal requirement that I keep a diary of the weather, looking through, we have only had 2 rainy days in the month of me being here, over half of the remainder have been mainly sunny

We have been very impressed with the weather. It is a legal requirement that I keep a diary of the weather, looking through, we have only had 2 rainy days in the month of me being here, over half of the remainder have been mainly sunny

Yes it's been a bit up and down temperature wise but not that wet at all and it is April. Besides people don't come here for the weather.

But, we are all established now - only taken a month.

VS - what a brilliant set of priorities. Things can be replaced but how empowering to travel so lightly. We gave away a lot of our stuff - chance to have a fresh start!

VS - what a brilliant set of priorities. Things can be replaced but how empowering to travel so lightly. We gave away a lot of our stuff - chance to have a fresh start!

It was an odd feeling, but yes very empowering in many ways. We were still having a garage sale on the morning I flew. The dog was very well catered for though. We brought his bed, his favourite blankets, his belt (we have a special dog belt that carries poop bags, treats and other bits), hit food and water bowls and some other stuff.

I sat down and decided what was the most precious item I owned as that would go in my hand luggage. It was the certificate he has for being the fastest Chihuahua in Australia.

Ain't bad is it....:cute: Weather is ****. Wait till the long night summer nights come, you will love it.

It rained for weeks after we arrived home,and it was just wonderful,fresh,clean rain,,,,,,,,,even our dogs liked going out in it and they never would go out of the door in the Aussie rain,,,,very strange

Yes the summer evenings are going to be lovely,cant wait

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ooh Sapphire- did u get a credit card? My bank tells me it's not worth applying. It would be really handy to have one to start building up credit rating and get protection/points but I'm in casual work so don't hold out much hope..already been turned down for a Santander 321 account despite having a very large deposit so don't want to push my luck...

Ooh Sapphire- did u get a credit card? My bank tells me it's not worth applying. It would be really handy to have one to start building up credit rating and get protection/points but I'm in casual work so don't hold out much hope..already been turned down for a Santander 321 account despite having a very large deposit so don't want to push my luck...

We have just got credit cards from Barclays. The credit limit is a paltry £200 but we do have them!

We've been told that the fastest way to get a credit rating is to apply for one of those high-interest credit cards for people who can't get credit. Then buy one or two items a month on it, and pay it off in full every month. You'll have a good credit rating in a year.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/bad-credit-credit-cards#rebuild

Edited by Marisawright