register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

calNgary

Grammar Nazi's

LOL

People who constantly point out grammar mistakes are pretty much jerks, scientists find

Scientists have found that people who constantly get bothered by grammatical errors online have "less agreeable" personalities than those who just let them slide.

And those friends who are super-sensitive to typos on your Facebook page? Psychological testing reveals they're generally less open, and are also more likely to be judging you for your mistakes than everyone else. In other words, they're exactly who you thought they were. That sounds pretty obvious, but this is actually the first time researchers have been able to show that a person's personality traits can actually determine how they respond to typos and grammatical errors, and it could teach us a lot about how people communicate (or miscommunicate) online.

"This is the first study to show that the personality traits of listeners/readers have an effect on the interpretation of language," said lead researcher Julie Boland from the University of Michigan. "In this experiment, we examined the social judgments that readers made about the writers."

http://www.sciencealert.com/people-who-constantly-pick-up-grammar-mistakes-are-kinda-jerks-scientists-find

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Well I think that is just bulltsite personally. Those of us who have ever been teachers will often pick up on the mistakes just because it is part of our being . I have to admit that whilst I would not make a comment because I think it is rather rude, I do internally think that those who make a lot of mistakes ( not talking about typos but real spelling mistakes) are a tad ignorant and I tend to ignore what they say. Just my underlying intellectual snobbishness of course.

I was brought up with the 3 R's reading ,writing ,rithmatic (!) Being old school I consider myself broad minded and definitely not a jerk ( I don't point out other peoples mistakes anyway I just cringe and say nothing )

But the way some people put things across and wrong spellings irritate me I think though that was my schooling

I worked with a lovely lad who used to say " I don't know nothing " I would say that's a double negative and if you don't know nothing you must know something

Then we would both pack up laughing !

I find it's much easier to be grammatically correct on a computer rather than a tablet or phone.

The ones who point out your mistakes are very sad IMO, bet all of them use spellchecker as well.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

I really think it depends on what you are doing/writing. In a work or professional environment, then grammar is important and I don't see the harm in correcting each others mistakes. On a forum, I really don't think it matters. Life is too short.

I did get pulled up once on here for a spelling mistake of a location. I had to laugh though as the person correcting me then continued on to make a spelling mistake themselves in the same sentence :rolleyes: :laugh: Moral of the story, only correct people if you are perfect yourself :cute:

I blame the Ipad for all my mistakes :laugh:

Edited by M1cha3la

Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave..........

I really think it depends on what you are doing/writing. In a work or professional environment, then grammar is important and I don't see the harm in correcting each others mistakes. On a forum, I really don't think it matters. Life is too short.

I did get pulled up once on here for a spelling mistake of a location. I had to laugh though as the person correcting me then continued on to make a spelling mistake themselves in the same sentence :rolleyes: :laugh: Moral of the story, only correct people if you are perfect yourself :cute:

I blame the Ipad for all my mistakes :laugh:

Agree in a job it is very important, on a forum , get a life

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Am I the only one grinding their teeth at the fact the title of this thread has an apostrophe in it, for some silly reason?

I strongly suspect that was an intentional trap.......and you waltzed right into it. :biglaugh:

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Yeah, I hate those peeple to. Alway's pointing out other peeples misteaks. I am a reeder, reed heap's and heap's, so I now what I am tolking about. As Perthass say's, get a life and leeve us alone OK.

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

I don't

constantly point out grammar mistakes
but I'm a grammar Nazi because grammar is not an optional extra. It exists to clarify meaning - to enable person A to understand exactly what person B is saying. There are classic examples of the difference even one small comma can make.

Let's eat grandma. Let's eat, grandma. Eats shoots and leaves. Eats, shoots and leaves.

I've seen posts on this and other forums where the grammar is so bad that they require several readings to try and understand the message. Sometimes I've just given up. If it's general chit chat, it doesn't matter.

But, if you are asking for help and can't be bothered making yourself understood, why should any one else be bothered helping?

As for

the social judgments that readers made about the writers.
...well, of course. But it's no more important than the opinions expressed or the general style of writing or even someone's name. We all make judgments, conscious or not, based on those things. They may not be accurate...but they are all "social judgments".

wot @Skani sed

:jiggy:

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | Arrived NSW 27/05/15 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19 | Citizenship test invite 02/03/20 | Citizenship test 27/04/20 Postponed on 7/04/20

The ones who point out your mistakes are very sad IMO, bet all of them use spellchecker as well.

you make a lot of people very sad then Pb:wink::laugh:

Enjoying life in Queensland

Well I think that is just bulltsite personally. Those of us who have ever been teachers will often pick up on the mistakes just because it is part of our being . I have to admit that whilst I would not make a comment because I think it is rather rude, I do internally think that those who make a lot of mistakes ( not talking about typos but real spelling mistakes) are a tad ignorant and I tend to ignore what they say. Just my underlying intellectual snobbishness of course.

Me too. I would not comment most of the time, but it would make me cringe. Unless perhaps it was a question on a forum that was so badly written it didn't make sense, but even then I would probably be more inclined to ignore it.

I don't get the argument some people make that "it doesn't matter when it is only a forum". It doesn't take any longer to write words in full and use correct grammar.

Me too. I would not comment most of the time, but it would make me cringe. Unless perhaps it was a question on a forum that was so badly written it didn't make sense, but even then I would probably be more inclined to ignore it.

I don't get the argument some people make that "it doesn't matter when it is only a forum". It doesn't take any longer to write words in full and use correct grammar.

Should that not be "poorly wrote"?:wink: if not just ignore it:tongue:

I'm a terrible grammar snob. I don't even use text talk when sending a text, everything is spelt properly and with full stops at the end of a sentence. For me, correct spelling and grammar indicates a level of intelligence but using this to make judgment calls is not always a good thing!

For instance, on dating sites I might look at a guy's profile and think he looks nice, then when I read his profile and see the poor spelling I click off it again, but if I was to meet him in real life then it's something I would not be aware of and might actually get on with him fine!

Some real laughs I've had are opening lines of

"Are their any descent women left on here" (with no question mark!)

"Let's be adventurous and do desert before our main course"

"am i the won you have been looking for"

"descent man looking for descent woman"

Then there are the men who really don't know how to sell themselves when they write about themselves and often put something like

"wanna no more just ask"

No wonder I'm single!

Don't Let It Happen To You : What Every Mother Should Know Before Emigrating. Available on Amazon by Rachel Tilley.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Let-Happen-You-Emigrating-ebook/dp/B00FV80PTM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1451572986&sr=1-1&keywords=rachel+tilley

I'm a terrible grammar snob. I don't even use text talk when sending a text, everything is spelt properly and with full stops at the end of a sentence. For me, correct spelling and grammar indicates a level of intelligence but using this to make judgment calls is not always a good thing!

For instance, on dating sites I might look at a guy's profile and think he looks nice, then when I read his profile and see the poor spelling I click off it again, but if I was to meet him in real life then it's something I would not be aware of and might actually get on with him fine!

Some real laughs I've had are opening lines of

"Are their any descent women left on here" (with no question mark!)

"Let's be adventurous and do desert before our main course"

"am i the won you have been looking for"

"descent man looking for descent woman"

Then there are the men who really don't know how to sell themselves when they write about themselves and often put something like

"wanna no more just ask"

No wonder I'm single!

Hang on, what about that bloke, a nice little trip across the Sahara to build your appetite.

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

Hang on, what about that bloke, a nice little trip across the Sahara to build your appetite.

Ah... now I didn't think of that! If he'd have just put "let's have pudding before dinner" I might of (only joking) - might have - looked at his profile a bit more!

Don't Let It Happen To You : What Every Mother Should Know Before Emigrating. Available on Amazon by Rachel Tilley.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Let-Happen-You-Emigrating-ebook/dp/B00FV80PTM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1451572986&sr=1-1&keywords=rachel+tilley

Ah... now I didn't think of that! If he'd have just put "let's have pudding before dinner" I might of (only joking) - might have - looked at his profile a bit more!

No doubt he would get his 'just desserts' with you Rachel? is that how you spell Rachel?

Now they are:cool: as the saying goes........."loud enough, often enough, long enough" it becomes the norm! still it is a nice name Rache':tongue:

Rachel I would not even look at a man who spelled as badly as those you mentioned unless he was a non-English speaker. I like a bit of intelligence in my menfolk.