You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Perthbum

For those who have returned...would you ever go back?

Those who have returned to the UK......would you ever go back? if the answer is "YES" WHY? and if the answer is "NO" WHY?

Think I would return for a holiday to visit a good friend of mine in Brisbane..or maybe just to bum around the country in a combi...but I could never get the quality of life I have here in Oz.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Those who have returned to the UK......would you ever go back? if the answer is "YES" WHY? and if the answer is "NO" WHY?

Think I would return for a holiday to visit a good friend of mine in Brisbane..or maybe just to bum around the country in a combi...but I could never get the quality of life I have here in Oz.

You're in Oz?

Why would you want to "bum around the country in a combi"? You've said often enough about how little it has to offer..........parched land and all that................besides, if you can manage to get mugged 3 times in Perth, I'm pretty sure your endearing character would invite much more in the outback

Edited by Johndoe

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

Never say never, but I cant see it happening. Simply because I can be content and happy in either, but the hassle of moving across the world again seems far too hard. Maybe I am just getting a bit older and a bit lazier. Though we are also a bit different to most, as we had never really had that big desire to move to Oz. An interesting job came up just at the right time and we thought why not.

We have had a good 8 years there, but now we are enjoying another new adventure of living in a part of the UK that is very different to where we have lived before and are enjoying the new adventure.

I agree with VS, never say never but it is VERY unlikely as we would have to recreate the standard of life we have here, in Oz.

I don't dislike living in Australia so could happily live there but would miss a huge amount here.

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me. 

You're in Oz?

Why would you want to "bum around the country in a combi"? You've said often enough about how little it has to offer..........parched land and all that................besides, if you can manage to get mugged 3 times in Perth, I'm pretty sure your endearing character would invite much more in the outback

2 times in Perth, your memory is fading....yes it's flat boring and parched compared to a lot of countries but the women are easy and on flat dry roads its less likely that the combi will struggle. plus if you run low on food their is always a roo to eat, wonder what they are like on a smoky mountain.

2 times in Perth, your memory is fading....yes it's flat boring and parched compared to a lot of countries but the women are easy and on flat dry roads its less likely that the combi will struggle. plus if you run low on food their is always a roo to eat, wonder what they are like on a smoky mountain.

:err::huh:

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page"

You mean the UK right?

edit, I get it now. "I could never get the quality of life I have here (pause) in Oz..." I read it that you was in Oz. Sorry, long day :wub:

Edited by M1cha3la

Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave..........

You mean the UK right?

edit, I get it now. "I could never get the quality of life I have here (pause) in Oz..." I read it that you was in Oz. Sorry, long day :wub:

Yes, you can read it both ways.

Yeah , I could happily live in either ,but would always look for the other .....but things are conspiring against any move back anyway .

Its like fate is saying ," even if you wanted to ,forget it ".

I am getting older ...plus I would probably have to work hard again .....my work/life balance is pretty good here .

Australia was very good to me ,better than England has been .

I got on very well with the Aussies.....but IAM A POM ,AN ENGLISHMAN AND BLOODY PROUD OF IT ,AND LUCKY TO BE SO ....and that is the bottom line

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

I have to go back as hubby is on a one year career break from teaching. Plus things aren't looking too promising for teachers in the UK right now. And we have grown kids over there that we miss.

It is nice being where I feel I belong (UK) and if all other factors weren't in place I would probably stay in UK but guess we're lucky to be able to have a year at home. Still intend to return back to retire in UK though (especially if Tories get kicked out)

PB, Maybe you should study geology not geography if it's hills you seek. Plenty a featured landscape in nearly half the Australian states. Why? Are you a mountaineer?

Edited by speakeasy

We all live wherever we feel the most smug, I mean, snug.

I've committed to returning when my parents no longer need us. At least I no longer throw up at the thought but meanwhile I am having a ball being back where I belong!

I've committed to returning when my parents no longer need us. At least I no longer throw up at the thought but meanwhile I am having a ball being back where I belong!

Why are you going back then?

Why are you going back then?

Not just yet but it's a commitment I have made and I keep my word! At the moment the DH is doing the hard yards! Mixed marriages, all about compromise!

Not just yet but it's a commitment I have made and I keep my word! At the moment the DH is doing the hard yards! Mixed marriages, all about compromise!

Totally understand and respect your decision quoll ...thats what you call a sensible solution .

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Totally understand and respect your decision quoll ...thats what you call a sensible solution .

Fair play to your husband as well for the commitment...a true partnership

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

I can't say I would willingly go back, by choice but if we had to it wouldn't be an abhorrent thing to do.

No I wouldn't go back. My self sufficiency for a quality of life is far better in England than it was in Oz. If my son does decide to go and live there when he's older and leaves home then I can then go off and do some Red Cross work in a third world country and follow my dream to make a difference in this world, at least to someone, before I die.

Don't Let It Happen To You : What Every Mother Should Know Before Emigrating. Available on Amazon by Rachel Tilley.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Let-Happen-You-Emigrating-ebook/dp/B00FV80PTM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1451572986&sr=1-1&keywords=rachel+tilley

No I wouldn't go back. My self sufficiency for a quality of life is far better in England than it was in Oz. If my son does decide to go and live there when he's older and leaves home then I can then go off and do some Red Cross work in a third world country and follow my dream to make a difference in this world, at least to someone, before I die.

I really can't see us returning to be fair, we just have too much here now a days life is good. I can't even imagine our kids going back when older, they just seem so settled here.

We are happy back in the UK, but I miss Australia too. I cannot see us moving back for the foreseeable though. A few reasons. I could not face another international move and all that it entails including moving pets and the cost. As we approach (maybe have reached) middle age, I think getting career breaks following a move will be harder and harder. But mainly, I don't think we could announce another move to our families. And we are pretty independent from families, definitely not in pocket, but when we returned they were more pleased than we had realised and they believe we are back for good now, so I just couldn't break that news again.

We do have a 10-15 year plan to get a second home in Australia and spend part of the year there during early retirement and then we choose one country in later retirement.

We are happy back in the UK, but I miss Australia too. I cannot see us moving back for the foreseeable though. A few reasons. I could not face another international move and all that it entails including moving pets and the cost. As we approach (maybe have reached) middle age, I think getting career breaks following a move will be harder and harder. But mainly, I don't think we could announce another move to our families. And we are pretty independent from families, definitely not in pocket, but when we returned they were more pleased than we had realised and they believe we are back for good now, so I just couldn't break that news again.

We do have a 10-15 year plan to get a second home in Australia and spend part of the year there during early retirement and then we choose one country in later retirement.

I can get the second home idea. Though I think we would chose somewhere like Italy or South of France. Easy to get to, cheap to travel to and offers something more