Nope, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. That said, significantly more young people have stood up to offer me a seat on train/bus in UK than I ever encountered in Aus - maybe it's just that I am looking so much older LOL

I know my grandchildren are all very confident at public speaking which I certainly wasn't at their age. They are taught this in school from 7 onwards and I think it is a really good thing, especially these days where those with the most confidence seem to always do better than the shy ones ( sadly in some cases). Particularly here, I think a good speaker with the gift of the gab always wins out over their more reticent friends. Not always a good thing but there you are.

Nope. Having lived in both UK and AU in the past year, I would say they're on a par.

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19 | Citizenship interview invite 02/03/20  22/09/20 | Citizenship interview 27/04/20 11/11/20 | Citizenship ceremony 26/01/21

I know my grandchildren are all very confident at public speaking which I certainly wasn't at their age. They are taught this in school from 7 onwards and I think it is a really good thing, especially these days where those with the most confidence seem to always do better than the shy ones ( sadly in some cases). Particularly here, I think a good speaker with the gift of the gab always wins out over their more reticent friends. Not always a good thing but there you are.

Not always a good thing indeed. It could be construed as arrogance, especially if the content lacks substance. A bit of thoughtfulness and introspection can be a good thing especially in a professional capacity. It's not always the pushiest who have the most to offer.

We went to a trampolining place today for our kids to let off some holiday steam.

One of the kids i taught for three of his six secondary years was working there. Lovely kid, got into a law/forensics degree at deakin uni, he tells me. All five years of it. Had a chat, he was busy as we left but ran over and said goodbye as i got into the car. Sorry i wont see him again, most likely.

Two year tens from my maths class were also there. I ignored them at the start but one yelled hello over to me. Both are miles behind in their work so after saying hello back, i asked if they had gotten around to catching up. Nope, was the answer with a grin, have a good holiday, sir. Before they bounced off.

And to tell you the truth, i could have had exactly the same conversations if i had dialed the clock back seven years and met a few kids i taught whilst at a play gym in west yorkshire.

Edited by dmjg
sp

Again, that would vary with individuals. Our kids friends are very self assured, by contrast our (Australian) kids are painfully shy.

My two sons were totally different. Eldest was outgoing and not at all shy. He enjoyed his academic studies and was ambitious. 2nd son was a bit of a rebel, and could be a handful at times - very sporty though and had a large group of friends - some of whom I didn't like very much. Used to go to all night raves in his teens and I was always worried about what he was getting up to. They always got on well together and are very close to this day - even though one of them is now on the other side of the world. They don't seem to be any different to my friends' offspring in the UK.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

To a degree why are we even having the conversation when clearly kids are kids regardless of what country they are in and commonsense tells us the country has nothing to do with it. If someone asked whether kids were different in a city or in the country then that would be different.

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me. 

To a degree why are we even having the conversation when clearly kids are kids regardless of what country they are in and commonsense tells us the country has nothing to do with it. If someone asked whether kids were different in a city or in the country then that would be different.

Exactly....or even ask questions like ... Are British adults more polite than Aussie adults... Well... How long is a piece of string....."

"Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." :biggrin:

Exactly....or even ask questions like ... Are British adults more polite than Aussie adults... Well... How long is a piece of string....."

Not on here......

I find kids in the UK more self assured and independent than the kids I met in Oz...but the kids I met in Oz were the kids of the people I worked with, horrible little brats most of them were.

Edited by Perthbum

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

If someone asked whether kids were different in a city or in the country then that would be different.

I grew up in the country and taught one of my rounds in a country school, i now teach surburban,

again, i feel its much of a muchness,

Wherever ive taught, both in the uk and here, ive generally found:

about 50% will work and try, no matter whats happening around them,

about 30% will follow the flow of their more disruptive peers,

about 10% are hard work, but can be directed, eventually

and about 5% just cant be got to. No matter what you do, how you do it, nothing seems to work. They are the ones that wreck every class they are in. Main stream education is not for them. They are the ones that take up the majority of the time and cause the majority of the problems. These are the kids in government schools that get expelled and moved around between school, sent to other educational units etc. The majority of these are in government schools because the privates can turn around and say, 'goodbye'.

The other 5% are scattered between each group.

So, deal with the 10% group effectively, and your class will generally run smoothly, the one or two kids from the 5% group need to be isolated from each other or other distractions in the room, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.......

Sorry, just been marking year 8 books, first sentence was about your quote bristolman, the rest was a bit of a vent :laugh:

I find kids in the UK more self assured and independent than the kids I met in Oz...but the kids I met in Oz were the kids of the people I worked with, horrible little brats most of them were.

of course!... in the seemingly on-going UK v AU debate, you'll always side with he UK, regardless if it's accurate or not.

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19 | Citizenship interview invite 02/03/20  22/09/20 | Citizenship interview 27/04/20 11/11/20 | Citizenship ceremony 26/01/21

What sort of people did you work with @Perthbum to have spawned such horrible little brats?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

Your problem is you make too many ridiculous nonfactual comments which is why no one takes anything you say seriously. The comment above is an example.

How about teenage pregnancies, life on the doll, under-age sex, smoking, drug taking....are these different in parts of Aus than UK? I lived in Brisbane for a few years and even though there were some rough areas with rather unruley kids (bogan's), the majority of 12 - 18 year olds seemed to fair better than the same age group in many areas in the UK.

I fully appreciate you get good and bad kids wherever you are in the world but are the more worrying issues (like the above) in any way different to what we see in the UK?

No need to reply with something along the lines of 'my kids are good and so are his/her friends, but my aussie work mates kids and their friends were awful' as this doesn't answer any questions.

Sorry for the rant but as a responsible parent you surely want the best for your children? Finding info on where the best area/country/planet to have the best possible chance of doing so is a good thing right?

Cue Bristolman....:wink:..

How about teenage pregnancies, life on the doll, under-age sex, smoking, drug taking....are these different in parts of Aus than UK? I lived in Brisbane for a few years and even though there were some rough areas with rather unruley kids (bogan's), the majority of 12 - 18 year olds seemed to fair better than the same age group in many areas in the UK.

I fully appreciate you get good and bad kids wherever you are in the world but are the more worrying issues (like the above) in any way different to what we see in the UK?

No need to reply with something along the lines of 'my kids are good and so are his/her friends, but my aussie work mates kids and their friends were awful' as this doesn't answer any questions.

Sorry for the rant but as a responsible parent you surely want the best for your children? Finding info on where the best area/country/planet to have the best possible chance of doing so is a good thing right?

So kids in oz fared better in oz than in the uk.......I just got a load of abuse for saying the opposite, let's see how you get on.

So kids in oz fared better in oz than in the uk.......I just got a load of abuse for saying the opposite, let's see how you get on.

Hi PB,

You may have got the negative responses due to the comment? I have not stated Aussie kids are better, that would be a silly remark. I just felt that the kids seemed to fare better but that was just my view of the small part of Australia I lived in (compared to my home city). I cannot make an argument either way as no one can on this subject. There a far too many variables.

I was just trying to make the point that the things most parents are worried about are just some of the things I listed and if anyone has real info or knowledge on this....grasping I know but no harm in trying?

Even here in Tassie there are great kids and some absolute horrors. No different to anywhere else be it the mainland of Australia or the UK.

Statistics suggest today’s British teenagers are less likely to get pregnant, drink, take drugs or smoke than previous generations. The number in England and Wales getting pregnant or giving birth is the lowest it has been in 50 years with figures continue to decline. ONS stats suggest binge drinking is falling with increasing numbers of 16 -24 year olds actually tea total. And record numbers of 18-year-olds are heading off to University.

I don’t really believe there is a best place, country or planet to raise a child tbh. Children don't care vey much about the things adults value. They need to feel secure, loved and cared for. Everything else is largely window dressing. T x

Hi PB,

You may have got the negative responses due to the comment? I have not stated Aussie kids are better, that would be a silly remark. I just felt that the kids seemed to fare better but that was just my view of the small part of Australia I lived in (compared to my home city). I cannot make an argument either way as no one can on this subject. There a far too many variables.

I was just trying to make the point that the things most parents are worried about are just some of the things I listed and if anyone has real info or knowledge on this....grasping I know but no harm in trying?

Kids are kids and when they become adults I imagine both countries have about the same level of nutters, normal people and in betweens as each other...

I'm not really sure why cue me but as far as teenage pregnancy, drugs etc as has been mentioned all those things are on the decline here as they possibly are in Australia as well.

Not entirely sure what you mean by 'fare better' when talking about 12-18 year old ? I'm sure some kids do better here and others do better there. Neither country is universally better for children.

To answer you question, are those things you noted in any way different to the UK, that is very simple to answer, it's no they are not any different.

Edited by bristolman

Sorry Jock I had to edit as I missed a vital word, your like disappears when I edit.

Do you reckon Aussie kids are overall more polite than British? I have a sense they may be.

Round Perth compared to round the area we came from near Stockport I think they are. I'm sure you could find areas in the UK though where kids are polite and areas around Perth an Aus where kids are horrors. We were watching a British TV detective series last week. It's based somewhere near Manchester and the action was on some horrible estate. A bunch of feral kids wete terrorising a family that had an autistic son. My son has autism and got quite upset by the rough kids behaviour. He's certainly never experienced anything like that here. Different school though in a rougher area could have been just as bad I suppose.

My wife half jokingly said that's one of the reasons we moved. I've noticed kids stand up on busses and trains here, to let women an elderly sit down. Perths still a bit of a small town environment though, I think bigger cities have rougher areas where kids have to be a bit rougher themselves to survive.

We've just had a gang of little aboriginal girls follow us around today lol they are so nice. I find them more polite than the boys but most of them are polite if they know you. The other girl that works here is friends with them all so they are all really friendly to her but I'm still too new for them to properly speak to me especially because I'm shy too. Some of the older girls were bullying these other girls so we pulled them up but they denied it. Then the other little girls grassed them up :laugh:

Round Perth compared to round the area we came from near Stockport I think they are. I'm sure you could find areas in the UK though where kids are polite and areas around Perth an Aus where kids are horrors. We were watching a British TV detective series last week. It's based somewhere near Manchester and the action was on some horrible estate. A bunch of feral kids wete terrorising a family that had an autistic son. My son has autism and got quite upset by the rough kids behaviour. He's certainly never experienced anything like that here. Different school though in a rougher area could have been just as bad I suppose.

My wife half jokingly said that's one of the reasons we moved. I've noticed kids stand up on busses and trains here, to let women an elderly sit down. Perths still a bit of a small town environment though, I think bigger cities have rougher areas where kids have to be a bit rougher themselves to survive.

I think that is part of the 'problem' if you like. Someone compares exactly where they are to exactly where they came from which is of course all you can do. Our kids circle of friends here are so polite and well spoken and we said we are glad we moved if only for that reason because we see some of their old friends on Facebook and it ain't good lol.

What I never agree with is when someone says kids are more polite in one country or the other based totally on their experiences of where they lived and where they live now.