Help/advice needed - Holiday first with plans to emigrate

Hayley Wilson

Hi, we are a young family of 4, who are looking into the possibility of emigrating. We have never been to aus but have been doing a bit of research and think we like the Queensland/Brisbane areas. We are looking to book to come out to the area within the next 6 months to try and suss it out, see if it is for us, whether we will have a better quality of life and give our 2 young children better opporrtunities etc. I have so many questions I just dont know where to start. As we are thinking of doing a holiday/visit first, wud it b better to travel around in a camper van etc to see the sites and areas,houses, look at job prospects or would staying in a villa or holiday let be better? Also my husband is a qualified lift engineer in the U.K., does anyone know if his qualifications are transferable to aus or would he have to retrain/obtain different qualifications? Does anyone know of any lift companies around Brisbane/Queensland or know what the current job market is like for lift engineers in these areas? What are schools like in these areas? What is the cost of living like, house prices etc? Sorry about so many questions. Any help advice would b greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'll leave the Queensland questions to those who know the area best but, firstly, you need to determine whether your husband would be eligible for a visa to work in Australia. His occupation will need to be on one of these 2 lists:

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/CSOL

I agree, first things first! Sad to say, for some people it's simply not possible to migrate to Oz. For instance, I was able to migrate because my husband was eligible - if I hadn't been married to him, I'd have had absolutely no chance on my own, ever.

So, before you do anything else, establish whether his occupation is on one of the lists of occupations on the link provided by Skani. If it is, then also check whether he has the required qualifications and experience. If he does, then you can take the next steps.

Let's assume he is eligible and move on to your other questions. A lift engineer has the best chance of getting work in a big city, so I'd say you'd need to focus on Brisbane - and I'd say you'd be better off in holiday accommodation with a rental car. It could be difficult to drive around the suburbs looking at houses for sale, etc, in a campervan.

Better life and better prospects? When I arrived in Australia over 30 years ago, that was definitely the case. Having returned about 9 months ago, I'd say it's far less clear-cut now. IMO life is not better or worse in either country, it's just different. Australia is not Britain with sunshine - migrants from many other countries have influenced the culture. Whether the Australian lifestyle suits you is very much down to personal preference - what your hobbies and interests are, what kind of lifestyle you like to lead, what your personality is like. So the idea of visiting for four weeks is a good one, so you can experience it personally an make up your own mind.

Edited by Marisawright

Hi and welcome to the forum.

When coming for your holiday why dont you book a holiday let on the Gold Coast for a week and then one on the Sunshine Coast for a week. This way you have easy access to check out both areas and you can head into Brisbane from either one when ever you want.

Being stuck in a camper van with kids after such a long flight may test your patience (i know it would mine,lol).

Lots of luck with everything, i am happy we moved when the kids were young and they have had the chance to grow up over here. If you pick your area carefully it can be a great life for kids.

Cal x

As long as you don't do it for the "better quality of life, more opportunities for the kids" meme (its another first world country so just different not inherently better and not Britain with sunshine as Marisa said). If at the end of the day it is an adult itch for adventure and a fabulous career opportunity that drives you then enjoy your holiday and see where it leads you. Don't sweat the small stuff like houses and schools (there are plenty of both) until you've got a visa and a job. As for travelling around - it all depends if you and the kids are used to living in a caravan - could be OK or could drive you bonkers within 3 days.

Having a holiday or reccie is so different from a permanent move We had the holiday in 1980 loved our time in Oz so emigrated in 1982

But then reality sets it in that you can't ring your Mum to pick up the kids if your late at work You still have to get up on a morning and go to work - once you find a job that is

Australia is not Birtain it's different with its own identity

please don't think I am trying to burst your bubble I am not I have dual nationality and can come and go as I please

Do your homework list the fors and against and make informed decisions

We had family in Adelaide so we were very lucky but our Aunt did say she could do all sorts for us but couldn't make friends for us

which was true

We do have good friends though both Aussies and Poms who have stood by us through the years

Sons friend has a lift company in Adelaide by the way and his employees are well paid

Look at Kone and Schindlers for lift companies too as I know they had the contacts for the major stores and shopping centres at one stage

I will reiterate that the experience you have on a holiday, is very different to that of living.

On a holiday, it can seem like "isn't all this hot weather wonderful, lets spend the time on the beach - lets move here as this is the life". When living in Oz can mean "God its hot and I cant believe I have to go to work / do the shopping / clean the loo in this heat".

Be very careful of the old chestnut "better opportunities for kids". Both are first world countries and both have excellent opportunities and the same negative issues - youth unemployment is an issue in both, expensive degrees / graduating with debt an issue in both, and all the other stuff.

Generally, I don't think one offers a better quality of life over the other. They are just different. Long gone are the days when a Brit could sell there 2 up 2 down in the UK and move to a massive house by the beach with a pool.

Also, factor in that the cost of later doing the visa are significant and unless you are ready to make the move very quickly after getting a visa, you would all need to do another holiday as you have to make the first entry to Oz within 12 months of medical or police checks - which ever is the earlier. At the same time, the process easts cash. You will have visas to pay for, potentially a migration agent, medicals, police checks, shipping, temp accommodation, flights, and ensuring you have several months of cash to live on while looking for work.