Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


Visa condition 8539. Help required

Recommended Posts

Hello all.

Im in a confusing situation.

I received my 489 sp visa grant letter last week. My state state sponsor is SA.

the grant letter has visa condition 8539 which explains



"You must live in specified areas

Your visa has been granted on the basis of a nomination by a State or Territory government.

Visa condition 8539 requires that you must live, study and work in regional and/or low

population-growth metropolitan area(s). These are:

Regional and low population growth

metropolitan areas


New South Wales (NSW)

Anywhere except Sydney, Newcastle, the

Central Coast and Wollongong

2311 to 2312, 2328 to 2411, 2420 to 2490,

2536 to 2551, 2575 to 2594, 2618 to 2739,

2787 to 2898

Northern Territory Entire territory


Anywhere except the greater Brisbane area

and the Gold Coast

4124 to 4125, 4133, 4211, 4270 to 4272,

4275, 4280, 4285, 4287, 4307 to 4499, 4515,

4517 to 4519, 4522 to 4899

South Australia Entire state

Tasmania Entire state


Anywhere except the Melbourne metropolitan


3211 to 3334, 3340 to 3424, 3430 to 3649,

3658 to 3749, 3753, 3756, 3758, 3762, 3764,

3778 to 3781, 3783, 3797, 3799, 3810 to

3909, 3921 to 3925, 3945 to 3974, 3979,

3981 to 3996

Western Australia

Anywhere except Perth and surrounding


6041 to 6044, 6083 to 6084, 6121 to

6126,6200 to 6799"


now my concern is that. Do i live n work in any of the regional areas mentioned above or i must live n work in only SA.??

the statement is general that i can live in any of the mentioned regional areas.


For example as my SA is my sponsored state of 489sp visa so can i live n work in regional area of victoria or NSW?

what actual law is?

How it effects my future in AUSTRALIA.






Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

No you can't. That's a cut & paste of all regional designated areas, so the case officer doesn't have to work out which state you are in and just applies the condition which covers off all states & territories.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is t forever anyway. Once you have PR You can go anywhere to live and work.

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have a moral obligation to live in SA as they are your sponsoring state. You have a legal obligation to live only in a regional area, which is one of the postcodes listed in your grant letter.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can live and work in any of the regional areas, just make sure to check the postcodes, to make sure you will be eligible 887 and not breach your visa conditions.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now