Questions for solo backpackers

Guest Lewis stack

Guest Lewis stack

Hi guys n gals just a thread for solo or just general backpackers looking to go to Australia I have a few questions for myself if someone wouldent mind helping :)

With a applying for a working visa is it quicker/ easier to do online (immi gov) or to fill In a printed form? And also when I apply for the visa and gets accepted (fingers cross) will the 1 year start when its accepted? So will I have to book the flight in advance?

Also phone situation.. I have an iPhone and would love to take one out with me my contract is due in a couple of months so shall I buy an unlocked phone and take it out there and buy a sim?

Confused about bank accounts aswell. When I set an account in Australia will I be able to transfer funds from my English account into Australian one? Yeah this one sounds stupid aswell... But what about post code for the account surely the bank will want a permanent residency for the bank account?

And is cairns a good place to start my 3 month work on a farm around October time? Easy to find? Any suggestions?

And for a bloke what items should I take in the ol backpack? Any thing you wouldent think off?

And apart from applying for a visa and flight is there ANYthing else which is important?? My mate when out for his second year with 150 quid to his name surely that's mad?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING

Lew :)

Hi Lew,

With applying for your WHV I would do it online. It is very quick and won't take you too long to get a response (couple weeks max). I believe that the visa will only begin when you enter Australia, you can set the date you would like it to start when you do the application and you can have that to coincide with your landing date.

Coming from England the same as myself, I bought 3k and spent it all in the first couple of months. It is EXPENSIVE here. Especially the backpacker lifestyle. I'm talking 150 quid per week in an average hostel. 5 pound a pint vibe. Everything is more expensive here in Australia (except for chicken breast and petrol lol).

I wouldn't even worry about your farm work yet. I would get the first visa out the way, come over, enjoy yourself, do some travelling, see if you like it and then look at farm work options here. Much easier when you're in the country. You can also set up your bank account when you are here and banks accept your hostel as address - most is done online here anyway.

Cheers

Do your visa online. When it's accepted you have one year to enter Australia. Then when you enter Australia you have one year in there. Unless you've got a criminal record or medical problem it should be approved quickly.

i can't answer the address part, I used commonwealth and because I was on the ultimate Oz package then we used their office for our address. I'll try find that one out for you.

Definitely bring as much money as you can. I brought around 3k and I wish I'd brought more

Bit too old to be a backpacker ... but my nephew bought a pay as you go sim card here in Aus for his phone. He worked on a cattle ranch for 3 months in Mt Isa for his rural work after putting an advert on Gumtree. He had to return to the UK before his first year was up but was glad that he'd done this 3 months early enough to allow him to apply for his 2nd WHV at some later date.